OCT 18 2008 PCAT thoughts and results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tatodotcom

wow, im def. glad i took it i now know what to study for and expect, and time is a whole nother issue....man that was tough

verbal-******ed, were those words in english??!?!?
bio-not bad at all, very few anatomy which was good cause i havnt had it yet
chem-freakin OCHEM exam, which im currently in...it was ok, time hurt
reading- not bad, couple of broad questions that i swear had multiple right answers..
math-not bad at all, EXCEPT FOR TIME! the problems were easy but i was on questions 28 and we had 5 mins left! i was getting everyone right though..i reallly need to time myself better

essays-who cares? they werent bad though

Members don't see this ad.

I called Pharmcas yesterday and they told me that I cant update anything regarding the PCAT. The guy told me to just send my January score directly to pharmcas. I wanted the schools to know that I am planning to take it in January but I don't know how to tell them

Well that just stinks. I wanted to be able to tell them, "Hey, I know my scores aren't great right now, but just wait till January!" :p

I called Pharmcas yesterday and they told me that I cant update anything regarding the PCAT. The guy told me to just send my January score directly to pharmcas. I wanted the schools to know that I am planning to take it in January but I don't know how to tell them
I noticed that before I took the PCAT, which was why I knew I had one shot and one shot only at taking the PCAT if I were to apply for 2009.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got my scores today! I live in SC.

Verbal : 413/69
Biology: 430/88
Reading: 401/47
Quantitative: 413/64
Chemistry: 421/76
Composite: 74

Writing: 3/3

Wish you best of luck for all of you. It is just sad that we feel as if we commited a crime when our scores are low.
Just learn from your mistakes, move on. Retake it. Have a vision and the discipline to make it happen.

Last edited:
Here are my numbers

verbal............382/20 ( it is a mystery, I don't know what happened)
biology.........435/91 ( I think that is about right)
reading..........408/58 ( I am a foreigner I can live with this)
Math............402/45 ( After taking calculus, i expect better)
Chem..........421/76 ( I think given the time issue i had, it is ok)
comp........410/64

I have taken toefl and my score is decent (102), do u guys think pharmacy schools excuse my ridiculus verbal score and look at my biology and chemistry scores instead.
It depends on the school but some schools say you have to have XX% on all sections and a higher %age on biology, chemistry, and QR. Some schools just look at your composite score but it's certain that most schools prefer high biology, chemistry, and QR scores.

I finally got my scores today....

Verbal - 420 / 78
Biology - 455 / 98
Reading- 439 / 93
Quant - 410 / 59
Chemistry 437 / 90

Composite 432 / 92

I didn't even study for this one, I actually was out drinking at a bar in Savannah the night before. The pcat is too easy the second time around.

Last edited:
Verbal - 416/73
Biology - 440/94
Reading- 415/69
Quant - 413/64
Chemistry - 437/90

Composite - 424/85

I was so exhausted by the start of the reading section that I kind of petered out with the last few sections.

I think I can do better, but I don't know if it's worth it. (Got a BA in Biochem last August (GPA 3.45) and I'm applying for Fall 09 pharm school)...

I finally got my scores today....

Verbal - 420 / 78
Biology - 455 / 98
Reading- 439 / 93
Quant - 410 / 59
Chemistry 437 / 90

Composite 432 / 92

I didn't even study for this one, I actually was out drinking at a bar in Savannah the night before. The pcat is too easy the second time around.

In reference to your second time taking it, what did you do different in terms of studying?

Still no scores today! Everyone who I know that took the test in Texas has received their scores besides me.

Okay guys, I just got home and got my scores. Honestly, I'm shocked. I did well on the Pearson practice tests, especially on reading comp...However I was not shocked at my quantitative score...Just didn't do well, and I knew that...

Verbal 420/78
Biology 402/51
Reading Comprehension 394/35 (wha?????)
Quantitative 384/16 (not surprised, not a calc/stats person)
Chemistry 405/53
Composite 401/45

Now you all tell me--what should I do different next time? I did Kaplan, barron, arco/pcat and other study books to study with....
Help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First time taking in June:
Verbal 386 26%
Biology 396 40%
Reading Comp 407 57%
Quantitative 432 87%
Chemistry 408 58%
Composite 406 56%
essays 3/3

I was depressed and pissed off especially at my reading comp since I always hit like 80%+ on ALL practice tests so I study like crazy and take it again....

October:
Verbal 413 69% (much better)
Biology 405 56%
Reading Comp 387 25% (WTF happened here? I thought I destroyed RC!)
Quantitative 438 91%
Chemistry 429 84%
Composite 414 71%
essays 3/3

My goal was to get above 50% on them all, but reading comp had to magically destroy me... even though it's usually similar to my quantitative... I most likely won't get into anywhere with such a terrible reading comp, so still pissed off. I hate this stupid test.

I love how I study a lot more on reading comp and IT DROPS 32%!!!

Does anyone honestly think I should take this test again? Or should I just apply with what I have? no degree, 3.15 cumulative, 3.0 science. All of my pre-reqs are completely finished.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of people re-take the PCAT and end up with lower scores. I got the same score as you did and if I were to take it again without studying, I would probably drop off 20 points.

I just got my scores today:
Verbal 99
Biology 94
Reading 89
Quant. 50
Chem. 72
COMP. 92
writing 3/3

I know a 92 comp is good, but will my math score prevent me from getting in? (The rest of my app. is weak)
I've got about a 3.4 GPA and no pharm. experience/ECs, except 2+ years working in an emergency room......
I'm applying to all of the Michigan Schools plus Midwestern and LECOM.

I just got my scores today and got a 69 in Reading Comp.

Which TOTALLY surprised me because English is my thing. In all my diagnostics I was scoring mid 80s to low 90s in RC and mid 80s in Verbal.

But I'm happy with my score. I really thought I did a lot worse than I did and I am so relieved. :rolleyes:

I want to suicide.

Verbal Ability --------------382 - 20
Biology -------------------405- 56
Reading Comp. -------------374-11
Quantitative Ability --------434-88
Chemistry -----------------401-47
Composite ----------------399-41

Writing 3.0 and 3.0
I am screwed people..this is my third year and most of the school do not accept Jan score...I definitely do not want to wait one whole year...ohhh goDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Did anyone figure out what to do about PharmCAS and January PCAT since we can't update? I got an email from one of my schools saying that my PCAT is too low, please sit for the January one. :( Thanks for the salt on the wound! :p I'm wondering if I should email them back saying that I am planning to take the January PCAT.

getinpharmd, what in the world are you stressing about? You're only a junior! :p

You have plenty of opportunities to re-take the PCAT, whereas many here cannot afford such luxuries due to their personal circumstances.

I would say freak out, like DarlingNikki ;), if you're planning on attending school in 2009 but you're looking at 2010 at the earliest.

getinpharmd, what in the world are you stressing about? You're only a junior! :p

You have plenty of opportunities to re-take the PCAT, whereas many here cannot afford such luxuries due to their personal circumstances.

I would say freak out, like DarlingNikki ;), if you're planning on attending school in 2009 but you're looking at 2010 at the earliest.

:( Why you gotta pick on me?

i can't afford to do 4+4....first it was 2+4 then i convinced myself to do 3+4....not anymore though

Did anyone figure out what to do about PharmCAS and January PCAT since we can't update? I got an email from one of my schools saying that my PCAT is too low, please sit for the January one. :( Thanks for the salt on the wound! :p I'm wondering if I should email them back saying that I am planning to take the January PCAT.

It couldn't hurt to email them and let them know. They would probably respond positively to it, especially since they took the time to email you and ask you to take the January one. They must be interested or they wouldn't have bothered. :idea:

What were your scores? If you don't mind my asking ...

It couldn't hurt to email them and let them know. They would probably respond positively to it, especially since they took the time to email you and ask you to take the January one. They must be interested or they wouldn't have bothered. :idea:

Thanks, I did! I figured it wouldn't hurt. :)

My score came out fine, and am I fortunate that I ended up not needing it anyway since I got accepted to a non-PCAT school.

That said, I am POSITIVE my writing sample was scored incorrectly. I'm not saying I'm Maureen Dowd or anything, but I CAN write. I have a bachelor's degree in journalism and worked for 10 years as a newspaper copyeditor. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I deserved a 2 in "conventions of language."

Something is fishy. That's all I'm sayin'.

Horrible. I'm embarrassed to say. We'll just say I did over 50 in everything (including my composite score) except Biology and Math. :D
51 composite it is then. ;)

Oh wait, I'm picking on you again but I fear you because of your avatar. :laugh:

NedPharmer, I got a 2 in convention of language too. I read the sample writing provided by Harcourt and to be compared to that writing sample was a complete insult! lol

Last edited:
51 composite it is then. ;)

Oh wait, I'm picking on you again but I fear you because of your avatar. :laugh:

NedPharmer, I got a 2 in convention of language too. I read the sample writing provided by Harcourt and to be compared to that writing sample was a complete insult! lol

:cry:

My score came out fine, and am I fortunate that I ended up not needing it anyway since I got accepted to a non-PCAT school.

That said, I am POSITIVE my writing sample was scored incorrectly. I'm not saying I'm Maureen Dowd or anything, but I CAN write. I have a bachelor's degree in journalism and worked for 10 years as a newspaper copyeditor. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I deserved a 2 in "conventions of language."

Something is fishy. That's all I'm sayin'.

same here!! Last time I got a 4 for conventions of language..this time I got a 2. I was stunned.

Did you guys notice the average for the writing section went down from the August PCAT? My score screams out FOB because apparently, I can't write and I have no verbal knowledge. :(

DarlingNikki, was this the first time taking the PCAT? At least you know what to expect now. I ran out of time in chemistry and QR, especially QR where I had to randomly guess on 10+ questions, so I expected my score in chemistry but I was surprised at my QR score.

Is anyone else surprised that I still have not received my scores?

ME TOO. i want to also suicide. i got a 62 composite. and my lowest of 35 in verbal and higest of 81 in math. and my GPA is 3.56... not that great..... omgg im not gonna get in, and they dont accept jan pcat scores!

Did you guys notice the average for the writing section went down from the August PCAT? My score screams out FOB because apparently, I can't write and I have no verbal knowledge. :(

DarlingNikki, was this the first time taking the PCAT? At least you know what to expect now. I ran out of time in chemistry and QR, especially QR where I had to randomly guess on 10+ questions, so I expected my score in chemistry but I was surprised at my QR score.

Yup, it was my first time. I'm hoping for better next go round. :(

Is anyone else surprised that I still have not received my scores?
i havent either......i live in VA.....pharmcas received my scores on the 17th and some of my schools whose dead- line is on dec 1st havent received either......so far no interviews for me ...i applied to 5 schools .....
guys should i start worrying...perhaps schools havents called me coz they dont like my pcat scores.....ohhh what should i do? how bad could my pcat scores be???????

I FINALLY got my pcat scores today!!!! My first time taking it I got a 50%...which was not good enough for my school!! But I took it the second time with a Great attitude and ended up with a 71%.....

Verbal:385....24 (Whatever I sucked at verbal my WHOLE life)
Biology:414....71 (Took anatomy which HELPED ALOT!)
Reading: 394....35 (i thought I did better but you never know with this one because everyone does great in this subject so it would be hard to get a high percentile)
QA 442....93 ( I rock this part...I always finish on time bc im quick)
Chemistry 433.....87 (WOW I really am surprised I thought I did horrible bc I felt there was not enough time..there were too many calculations this time around that I had to literally guess on 5...cant believe this one)

Composite 414.....71 (I cant believe I jumped up 21% points...Crazy)

Honestly if you go in with the right attitude you will be fine....I went in sooo nervous the first time and obviously reflected in my score. The second time I went in feeling a little nervous but having faith in my self. And everyone with anything above a 60 thats going crazy chill out...most schools accept scores in those ranges.

GOD is GREAT!!:)

I FINALLY got my pcat scores today!!!! My first time taking it I got a 50%...which was not good enough for my school!! But I took it the second time with a Great attitude and ended up with a 71%.....

Verbal:385....24 (Whatever I sucked at verbal my WHOLE life)
Biology:414....71 (Took anatomy which HELPED ALOT!)
Reading: 394....35 (i thought I did better but you never know with this one because everyone does great in this subject so it would be hard to get a high percentile)
QA 442....93 ( I rock this part...I always finish on time bc im quick)
Chemistry 433.....87 (WOW I really am surprised I thought I did horrible bc I felt there was not enough time..there were too many calculations this time around that I had to literally guess on 5...cant believe this one)

Composite 414.....71 (I cant believe I jumped up 21% points...Crazy)

Honestly if you go in with the right attitude you will be fine....I went in sooo nervous the first time and obviously reflected in my score. The second time I went in feeling a little nervous but having faith in my self. And everyone with anything above a 60 thats going crazy chill out...most schools accept scores in those ranges.

GOD is GREAT!!:)

so, how did you syudy the second time? and did you use the kaplan book or Dr.Phill

I actually had three weeks to prepare for the second time...I did a couple practice exams and rested after that. I just had my mindset in taking it and knowing that I would do better the next time.

Verbal-kaplan has alot harder words than what are actually on the exam. cant really study for it...its just what you have learned since grade school.
Bio- Kaplan is GREAT!!! Actually they are known for their bio sections.
Reading- just practice passages (I used the 5 practice pcat book..helpful for this section)
QA-Just make sure you brush up on basic algebra and know your calc...BE QUICK!!! (Kaplan is good on the algebra but is horrible on the calc part...)
Chem-Review everything in kaplan...but the material that is covered in kaplan over organic chem is horrible. Take organic 1 and you are set.

Overall I just reccommend taking practice exams (buy that 5 practice tests book)... at the end of studying buy those practice exams on pearsons website. There are only two but they help sooooo much to get an idea of how the pcat is.

I remember when i use to come here and see scores in the 80's & high 90's. I used to honestly wish that was my score one day :( and how lucky those people were to have scores in the 90's like insanely lucky bc i had received PCAT in the 50's twice but what helped me to get into Pharm school for Fall 08 was taking upper level classes like microbio, anatomy and a few others. I used Kaplan but it only helps so much. I took those upper level classes bc i had to since i wanted my degree :laugh: but hey help alot. So mix it up with pcat books and those important science classes.

Not only did i get my degree but i pulled a 95 PCAT last year :D. So never give up if u fail & btw i'm about to finish my first semester with all A's and B's. Remember it's not just about getting in but staying in too bc it can be challenging at times.

I remember when i use to come here and see scores in the 80's & high 90's. I used to honestly wish that was my score one day :( and how lucky those people were to have scores in the 90's like insanely lucky bc i had received PCAT in the 50's twice but what helped me to get into Pharm school for Fall 08 was taking upper level classes like microbio, anatomy and a few others. I used Kaplan but it only helps so much. I took those upper level classes bc i had to since i wanted my degree :laugh: but hey help alot. So mix it up with pcat books and those important science classes.

Not only did i get my degree but i pulled a 95 PCAT last year :D. So never give up if u fail & btw i'm about to finish my first semester with all A's and B's. Remember it's not just about getting in but staying in too bc it can be challenging at times.
how old r u? if u dont mind me asking....the reason i am asking is u said u have a degree and went into pharmacy? i am 25 rt now and i just kissed my chance for phar m school for 2009 goodbye coz of my pcat score..it was pathetic...however i am studying for june 09 hopefully 2010 will be the year for me...but i am beyond sadness now when i think i will be in my early thirties after pharmacy if i get in? what was ur major before?
if u feel like answering please do coz i will appreciate it? u will help a confused soul!

I entered Pharmacy School at 23ish. I know where ur coming from bc i didn't want to be 28-29 when i graduated bc i just wanted to finish & get it over with but age should never get u down. Starting at 25-27 is not bad at all and i know a few people who have started at that age. As long as ur healthy, happy with life then u shouldn't let age stop u bc if u think about it u could live until ur 85 and some newborn now dies at 60 so life is about accomplishing ur dreams & not be bogged down by mistakes. I even know a pharmacist who went to school at 45 which is around when i want to retire :laugh:. If u think about it u have 20-30 years of working if u graduate at 30 & that's a ton of years.

how old r u? if u dont mind me asking....the reason i am asking is u said u have a degree and went into pharmacy? i am 25 rt now and i just kissed my chance for phar m school for 2009 goodbye coz of my pcat score..it was pathetic...however i am studying for june 09 hopefully 2010 will be the year for me...but i am beyond sadness now when i think i will be in my early thirties after pharmacy if i get in? what was ur major before?
if u feel like answering please do coz i will appreciate it? u will help a confused soul!

Worrying about age is one of the worst thing to do when it comes to school. As a pharm-hopeful, you should know that people are living longer because of medicine and since social security won't be around when we retire, we're going to have to work much longer before we can retire anyway. There's nothing wrong with being that "old guy" in class because heck, I'm going back for my second career so I'll be that "old guy" too. It's not the end of the world if you don't get into a school for next year because you're still young. Think about all those people who've gone back for third or fourth careers at 40+ years old.

Last edited: