cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Hi all,

You guys probably will know this if you've been hounding ETS's report through phone line like I have, but I just thought I'd post about this just in case you haven't. So, as the title implies, the Oct 2008 GRE subject test scores are now available.

Good luck! I'm actually extremely happy with my score :D

bludreamz

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Hi all,

You guys probably will know this if you've been hounding ETS's report through phone line like I have, but I just thought I'd post about this just in case you haven't. So, as the title implies, the Oct 2008 GRE subject test scores are now available.

Congrats!!

The only problem is, how do we know what a good score is, if very few schools post this information??

What score is acceptable to send if sending them is optional?

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Thanks! I'm actually going to ask my prof about this tomorrow, but I heard above the 80th percentile or 700+.

Problem is it costs so friggin' much to send them out...

About the Ads

bludreamz

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Thanks! I'm actually going to ask my prof about this tomorrow, but I heard above the 80th percentile or 700+.

Problem is it costs so friggin' much to send them out...

Haha. Yes! $20 per school is crazy. I mean, unless they are sending them small gifts with our scores. (Another ETS jab :p)

Let me know what your professor says!! :)

I want to apply to some top schools, but I don't know if I should if it isn't in tune with their admits!

leavingprov

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Hi all,

Congratulations on doing well-- you must be relieved! What does a phone report cost these days?

OlliePsych

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Thanks for the heads up! I feel like I've been waiting on this day forever!

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I am SO relieved, and happy. Finally, one GRE I didn't completely suck at the first time around. :D

It cost $12 per report.

Apparently I'm supposed to ask my other professor now, whom I'm talking to tomorrow. So I will let you know when I find out!

JSNYC

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
I took the GRE subject test in Oct. but I thought the only way you could see your score was by mail. How else can you find out??

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
If you're in the USA, Canada, or US territories, call 1-888-GRE-SCORE (1-888-473-7267)

You'll need your name, social security number, the test date, and a credit card number because there's a $12 fee.

mplsgirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Uffda...got a really crappy score....my thoughts of getting into a program this year are kind of going down the drain! Oh well, there's always next year, and at least I'll know what a grueling process this is. That way I'll be able to plan more ahead of time. And, if I do get in, it will be a surprise to me!

mplsgirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Sadly YES! I have an awesome rest of my application, research experience, publications, and a great match to all of the programs I'm applying. Just not too great of GRE scores. Oh well. That is something I can change if I don't get in....I'll just have to study harder next year!

Olivia101884

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Don't worry. For what it is worth, the director of my Masters program (who is also the director of the Ph.D program) said that they don't really look at them. According to him, the Verbal GRE score is the most important. Obviously, this will differ program-by-program, but in general, I have heard that the Psych GRE is the least important of the scores.

About the Ads

mplsgirl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I'm just annoyed by the importance of these standardized tests in applications! I understand they need some measure to weed applicants out, but I have never done well on standardized tests! I've always excelled in school, however, and had a great GPA, and have excellent research experience. I only had a 1190 cumulative GRE score though, and 540 Psych subject GRE. Barf.

Olivia101884

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
I'm just annoyed by the importance of these standardized tests in applications! I understand they need some measure to weed applicants out, but I have never done well on standardized tests! I've always excelled in school, however, and had a great GPA, and have excellent research experience. I only had a 1190 cumulative GRE score though, and 540 Psych subject GRE. Barf.

It sounds like you're right there with the 1190--you're so close to the cut-off, I am sure your excellent research experience, grades, and LORs will definitely supercede the 10 points :)

Good job, carasusana! Yeah, it is crazy with the breakdown! So many engineers take the GRE that an 800 is not even a 99% (I forget what it was, but my Physics Phd-bound friend got it!) I am worried about my own percentage breakdown. I got a 1370 (750 Verbal, 620 Quant) and while I got a 99% for the Verbal, my Quant score was 53%! :/

Alfie

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
The November Psych subject exam scores were processed recently. I'm super happy, especially because I walked out of there feeling like I bombed it.

Now I just have to decide if I am going to rewrite the general GRE. I'm taking a year off so I'm thinking why not make the best use of my time. I didn't do half bad the first time around. I'm happy with my quant score (81st percentile) but not thrilled with the verbal (70th). Anyone want to weigh in with an opinion on this? Also, does anyone know if I can rewrite just the verbal section? It would be fantastic if that was possible!

Thanks!

psybee

Psychology Grad Student!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
in the sheltering embrace of steel and concrete
www.hobo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
The November Psych subject exam scores were processed recently. I'm super happy, especially because I walked out of there feeling like I bombed it.

Now I just have to decide if I am going to rewrite the general GRE. I'm taking a year off so I'm thinking why not make the best use of my time. I didn't do half bad the first time around. I'm happy with my quant score (81st percentile) but not thrilled with the verbal (70th). Anyone want to weigh in with an opinion on this? Also, does anyone know if I can rewrite just the verbal section? It would be fantastic if that was possible!

Thanks!

no it's the whole thing over again. i wish it weren't!

Alfie

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
no it's the whole thing over again. i wish it weren't!

So out of curiosity (and procrastination) I called ETS to ask if I can just take the verbal section and the person answered yes. He said I you don't answer any questions on the math or AW section there will be a "no score" (as in not 0, just no score reported). He said you can exit each section but be sure not to quit the whole exam or you just wasted 140$. I asked what scores schools would receive if I did this and he said they would get one quant score, one AW score and 2 verbals.

I don't know who I spoke with but no on high up on the foodchain, that's forsure. I'm pretty sketpical about this info. Anyone else tried to ask ETS?
If it is possible to take just one section, why doesn't anyon know about this? I'm thinking he must have been mistaken!

saribou13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
i just got my socre from the november subject test and i did awfully! unfortunately, it's too late to take it again, as I just submitted my PhD apps a few weeks ago. my general score, grades, etc were good. do you think this will prevent me from getting in to any programs?? :(

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
So out of curiosity (and procrastination) I called ETS to ask if I can just take the verbal section and the person answered yes. He said I you don't answer any questions on the math or AW section there will be a "no score" (as in not 0, just no score reported). He said you can exit each section but be sure not to quit the whole exam or you just wasted 140$. I asked what scores schools would receive if I did this and he said they would get one quant score, one AW score and 2 verbals.

I don't know who I spoke with but no on high up on the foodchain, that's forsure. I'm pretty sketpical about this info. Anyone else tried to ask ETS?
If it is possible to take just one section, why doesn't anyon know about this? I'm thinking he must have been mistaken!

It's possible, actually, but I'm not sure that I would. Part of the GRE is stamina, and IMO it's sort of "cheating" to only take one section.

leahyhl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Hi All,

I need to raise my psychology subject score from a 650 to a 700. Does anyone have any advice on how to do so effectively?

Thank you!

psychmama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2008
NYC Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
What worked for me was buying a couple of study guides -- I know I used Princeton Review and another, maybe Barron's? I got both of these from Barnes & Noble or Amazon. Then I just read them through until as much info soaked in as possible. And last, I just did a lot of the practice tests included in the books. I ended up getting a 740, I think.

Also, I referred to some of my undergrad psych textbooks when I needed additional background on a particular sub-topic.

Good luck!:luck:

psychmama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2008
NYC Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
In thinking about it more, I think the other study guide I used was Kaplan. I remember feeling as if each book covered different strategies and materials, making the two of them a good complement to one another.:)

RejectClinical

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status (Visible)
I wouldn't worry about the scores...
I had a 1410...well above the averages of almost all of the schools I applied to, and I did not even make it to the first round for 3 of the schools. Number 4 gave me a phone interview but that was it

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I wouldn't worry about the scores...
I had a 1410...well above the averages of almost all of the schools I applied to, and I did not even make it to the first round for 3 of the schools. Number 4 gave me a phone interview but that was it

They're actually referring to the Psych GRE here, but while a 1400+ is great, if you were missing other things in your application (e.g., good GPA, research experience, clinical experience if applying to a balanced or clinically-oriented program, strong LORs, research match/perceived fit, etc.) then no GRE score is going to get you into a program.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.