Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

October /10 /2018 ; CS exam score release date thread

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Hr1900, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 5dd100c

PASS!
    My report was available on OASIS at 8:37 AM New York time.
    Received the email at 8:38 AM New York time.
    Congrats to everyone here and GL!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Merely

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is everyone that got there score an FMG? When do AMG get them?

4. Teegirl

I passed!!!!!. IMG wrote in Philly. Got a date and had to prepare within 2 weeks. Only God could have done this because my exam was a mess up.

bluufin and iliopsoas30 like this.
  5. Reperfused

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys, Congratulations to all those who passed!!
    My exam is tomorrow and I’m freaking out! Can anyone share their quick experience and tips? Do the SPs generally give us a tough time and ask a lot of questions? or are they mostly helpful in guiding you towards the right direction?
    Also would you guys say 10 mins is enough for PN or should I try to finish my encounter in 13-14 mins (forcefully) so that I can have 1-2 mins extra for PN? I’m really scared about running out of time for PN.

Thanks in advance

6. A$AP

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm an AMG haven't gotten my score yet. Looks like everyone getting their scores is IMG

7. iliopsoas30

Non-Student
    I think IMGs get the score by 8am and AMGs by 11am.

8. Bdisease

Hey! Any advice??? I received my score and I fail in english and ICE

9. iliopsoas30

Non-Student
    My SPs were really nice and helpful. I noticed that all positives in the history taking were to sustain the differential diagnoses. I always had extra 2 min for the PNs so maybe that’s why I never felt rushed.

Reperfused likes this.
  10. Spodermin

Medical Student
    Just got my score and I passed.
    Here are a few of the mistakes I made, and I still ended up passing. So if you're freaking out, maybe this can calm you down

1) Managed my time horribly. I was the last one into the room, and the last one out of the room amongst everyone doing the exam with me except for 1 case (see below)
    2) Literally found NO positive physical exam findings on 10/12 cases. I'm sure I missed many
    3) For the majority of cases, I had 2 differentials (or a third that was really vague). For one of the cases, I didn't write the chief complaint to support the diagnosis
    4) Did not counsel all patients. The way I structured the encounter was to counsel at the very end. On all but 2 cases, I did not have time at the end to counsel about tobacco and alcohol use or safe sex practices even though I had them written on my sheet
    5) I examined a patient over the gown. I thought this was an automatic fail....
    6) One of the cases, I finished in 6 minutes. 6!!! I just couldn't seem to ask the right questions. So I panicked and left the room
    7) One case, I pretty much told the patient they had an incurable disease and they were gonna die. yeah....
    8) Wasted time doing a full neuro exam. Halfway through I realized the case did not require it. By that time I had 2 minutes left
    9) Missed an obvious differential that any 2nd year student would be ashamed to miss

So don't worry, you'll be fine

Reperfused and APA 32 like this.
  11. Usmlesteps1

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    sorry for you my brother , one year i was in your shose failed english and ICE , today I passed . you gonna do it

bluufin and Bdisease like this.
  12. Hr1900

Cograts for all.who passed . Unfortunateky i didnt. I have very solid step 1 and ck scores . Any suggestions of what should i do ?

13. RadiologyIsRad

Medical Student
    How can you register for step 3 as a US medical student? It requires you to list a school as "graduated from."

14. RadiologyIsRad

Medical Student
    Ahh. I gotchya. I feel better then. Thanks.

15. RadiologyIsRad

Medical Student
    Also, when did you take your exam? Sorry if you already said this. I didn't see it. I took mine 8/7 and my print permit button disappeared sometime since Saturday.

16. sliderpoz

Okay
    send me a message

17. Usmlesteps1

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    sorry hearing that, WHICH part did you fall ?

18. clocktown

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    USMD, took CS on 8/13. No email, but the score report is available

19. Usmlesteps1

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    On second attempt i passe, anyone who didn't pass can send me a direct message if i can help , I know that could be difficult

20. godivabear

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    USMD, took it on 8/27, score report is available on USMLE, no email thou, PASSED

#219 godivabear, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  21. PickleRick19

Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    USMD, didn't get an email. PASSED.

Honestly felt like crap about the exam, made a ton of mistakes, and none of my x's were anywhere near the borderline.

cj_cregg likes this.
  22. Ashantua

Can you tell us what area u didn’t pass ? Maybe that will help

23. Hr1900

CIS , i scired high performance in SEP and ICE . I am doomed

24. DocK_93

I'm really sorry to hear that. Mind sharing where you took the exam and which component you have failed.

I would suggest you to give exam ASAP. In 1-2 months.

25. RadiologyIsRad

Medical Student
    I passed. So relieved. I felt HORRIBLE leaving my exam date. Not sure if I can be helpful to people who didn't pass, but if anyone has questions about it, I'm happy to help in any way I can.

26. Hr1900

The problem is that i have a very solid scores and cv with publication, observership is usa , very high scores is step 1 and ck. I wanted to match to top programs . But because of this silly exam , i cant do anything now . My dreams are gine . I dont think any program would not give me a chance for an interview now

27. BeornBear

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Passed! It seems that the Step 3 trick, for this group at least, started working about 9-10 PM pacific time the night before score release.

APA 32 likes this.
  28. Javelin

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    AMG with same... no email but score report there when I logged in.
    Just about hyperventilated... So Happy I passed... Last High Stakes Test of Medical School!!!
    I was more nervous after this than I was after Step 1 and Step 2 CK...
    I am a terrible typer and felt rushed for time the whole test... I committed not to think back to the test over this last 8 weeks of waiting... way to stress-full... so happy to have passed!!!

APA 32 likes this.
  29. Ashantua

I don’t think you have to release ur CS grade during the match. Most residencies just require step 1 and 2 CK scores and just that you have passed CS by the time of matching. I don’t even think it will be an issue for ur interviews

30. Hr1900

What if i apply for the match the next year after taking the exam again .Will the programs know that failed cs once ?

31. brunettee

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They will see that you have an attempt at CS and for them that will mean that you failed it at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. Hr1900

So what is the best thing i could do?

33. brunettee

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can you try to schedule a date before December 31st?! That way your result will come before ranking. Your next step is to take it next year and apply for the next match...

34. Hr1900

Wouldn't the know that i have more than one attempt even i apply before december?

35. brunettee

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The best thing to do is to release it to programs. If you don’t..they will still ask you on interviews and you don’t want to seem like you are not honest. Try your best to get a date before dec 31st. You seem like a solid candidate!

36. Hr1900

Thank you . Yes i WAS a solid one . After the score release of this subjective silly exam i think i have no chances to match especially that i am an IMG

37. goodvibes27

Passed !! So relieved! Always ready to help, I’ll write a detailed post tomorrow

38. goodvibes27

Hey don’t lose hope. Try to schedule the exam soon and get it done. I’ll message you some CIS tips that a study partner had taught me if you want.
    My friend’s friend who is applying this year, has really great step 1 and CK scores, but has an attempt on their CS exam. Despite that, that person has received interviews. So nothing is impossible. You are still a sold candidate! You can do this!

39. Spodermin

Medical Student
    Sorry you didn't pass. But stop blaming the exam. Yes we all know this exam doesn't really prove that anyone can examine patients, but we all know that going into the exam. It's an acting exam more or less. People with much higher and much lower stats than you have passed this because they figured out what to do to tick all the boxes.
    Programs are going to know that you have an attempt on CS, there's no way to fool the system. So I wouldn't rush into doing it again if you don't know what the problem is to begin with.
    So take out your anger on a punching bag for an hour or two. Think this over. Train with a partner. Get someone to tutor you if you can. Then go at this with the right mindset; which is: "this is an acting exam, with a hint of medicine"
    You don't know if you're "doomed". IMGs have matched with fails on step 1. I know it's hard to see it know, but its not the end of the world.

40. Hr1900

Thank you. I will hope i will get some interviews. Would you plz send me the CIS notes

41. Hr1900

Yes i know . But this is fraustrating . When you have a solid and you just take a punch in the face .

42. DocK_93

I'm sure this is not the end of line. While an attempt on step 2 CS is certainly a disadvantage, it is not something you can't get over. You already have good scores and so there is a compensation right there. May be back it up with more research publications and quick reexam. While you can apply this year but if you wanna remain confident with more publivations and step 3 you can wait till next year

43. iliopsoas30

Non-Student
    Study from the FA and try to type your PNs as much as the examples that they give.
    Hello. This is the script that I followed. I found it here in SDN. Hope it helps. Best wishes.

1. Knock

2. Mr Smith?

Shake hands. “Hello, I am Dr. XYZ, one of the physicians in the office, I am going to take care of you today.

What brings you in?”

a. After chief complaint say “I am so sorry to hear that” (1 point for PEARLS).

b. “Can I make you more comfortable” ---> DRAPE PATIENT NOW

c. “Do you mind if I take some notes while we talk?”

3. “Ok Mr. Smith, I am going to ask you some questions and we will try to find the cause of your concern together” (1 point for PEARLS)

NO NOTES, NO INTERRUPTIONS UNTIL THIS POINT, YOU MUST LISTEN TO PATIENT AND KEEP EYE CONTACT UNTIL STEP 3

4. “Tell me more about your Chief complaint” YOU CAN TAKE NOTES NOW

5. HPI/ROS/PAMHITSFOSS – ANY OTHER MNEMONICS HERE

6. “I am sorry this happened to you, let me summarize what we have”.

SUMMARIZE IN PATIENTS WORDS (IMPORTANT!!)

7. Summarize in patient’s words only info relevant to C.C

8. “Do you have any other concerns?” ---> ASK WHILE PUTTING GLOVES (I put on gloves much faster)

THIS IS WHERE THEY ASK CHALLENGE QUESTION, know them from FA

9. “Thank you for answering all of my questions, they are extremly helpful. Can I perform a physical exam on you now?”

10. “Can I untie your gown and exam your lungs”

EXPLAIN EACH EXAMINATION AS YOU DO IT

11. Palpate, percuss, auscultate lungs (Check costovertibral-angle tenderness (CVA) at this time if relevant). “thank you for letting me examine your lungs.”

12. “Now I am going to examine your heart”

13. Auscultate heart. “Thank you”

14. “Please lay down so I can examine … (whatever else needs examining)” Help the patient to lay down.

15. Other exams. “Thank you” (THANK YOU AFTER EVERY EXAM)

16. “Let me help you sit back up and tie the gown”

17. “Thank you Mr. Smith for letting me examine you, Let me give you my impression”

18. IMPRESSION: 3 DDX for C.C and work up for each (THIS IS A MUST)

19. “Do you have any other questions or concerns for me?”

20. “Thank you Mr. Smith for letting me take care of you, we will meet again to discuss your results. ---> SHAKE HANDS AND LEAVE

Ashantua likes this.
  44. ryanr

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Same here man, same here. Passed. So relieved.
    Shoutout to Rick & Morty

PickleRick19 and cj_cregg like this.
  45. Hr1900

I did every single one of these. My problem is that i didint counsel as recommended

46. BillrothI

5+ Year Member

Passed comfortably despite multiple errors.

My recommendation for anyone who has yet to take the exam is to drill FA Step 2 CS for at least a few days or a week before the exam. Practice writing notes on the NBME template to get accustomed to the character limit. Try to think of a couple of possible diagnoses before entering each room, and even jot them down on your notepad.

For those of you still waiting on your results, try your best to relax. Much easier said than done, but remember that the test doesn't require anything near perfection. If you felt comfortable with the FA cases, you likely performed well on the exam.

Best of luck to all of you.

-Bill

Ashantua likes this.
  47. goodvibes27

you'll have to message me

48. iliopsoas30

Non-Student
    Try to counsel immediately, so you won’t forget in the closure. Write a “C” in the upper part of your blue sheet. And don’t walk out the room without counseling every single patient, some patients I forgot, but as soon as I saw that circle C I would do it immediately, then I would cross it.

49. Hr1900

Thank you. am not worried about passing the cs exam anymore. I know that the counseling thing costs me a lot , and i am willing to retake the exam and counsel every single sp . I am worried about my matching apportunities.

50. DocK_93

Guys any idea how to read the CS report? Its really confusing. While I got high performance in CIS and SEP, my ICE was 6 Xs over grey borderline and 9 Xs right of borderline. (I hope I got the number of X correct)

I expected better performance in ICE because but for the first case which I took time to acclimatise to the environment and made silly mistakes like repeating some questions but I got everything right about the case and in one case I have written only positive physical exam findings in the PN due to lack of time.

And I have got the diagnoses of all the 12 cases right and I have certainly written 2 differentials for each case. I counselled every case. I still don't understand why my performance is just above borderline. May be okI missing something.

51. cj_cregg

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You passed though, right? Don't stress about it. It's an exam in an artificial environment with fake patients and arbitrary grading by people who've known you for less than 15 minutes. It's barely representative of your clinical skills. If you've gotten good feedback on your clinical rotations I'm sure you're just fine. Not worth agonizing over the details unless you failed.

Ashantua likes this.