This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hr1900

Reaction score
2 weeks till the scores are released

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't the know that i have more than one attempt even i apply before december?

The best thing to do is to release it to programs. If you don’t..they will still ask you on interviews and you don’t want to seem like you are not honest. Try your best to get a date before dec 31st. You seem like a solid candidate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you . Yes i WAS a solid one . After the score release of this subjective silly exam i think i have no chances to match especially that i am an IMG

Hey don’t lose hope. Try to schedule the exam soon and get it done. I’ll message you some CIS tips that a study partner had taught me if you want.
My friend’s friend who is applying this year, has really great step 1 and CK scores, but has an attempt on their CS exam. Despite that, that person has received interviews. So nothing is impossible. You are still a sold candidate! You can do this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you . Yes i WAS a solid one . After the score release of this subjective silly exam i think i have no chances to match especially that i am an IMG

Sorry you didn't pass. But stop blaming the exam. Yes we all know this exam doesn't really prove that anyone can examine patients, but we all know that going into the exam. It's an acting exam more or less. People with much higher and much lower stats than you have passed this because they figured out what to do to tick all the boxes.
Programs are going to know that you have an attempt on CS, there's no way to fool the system. So I wouldn't rush into doing it again if you don't know what the problem is to begin with.
So take out your anger on a punching bag for an hour or two. Think this over. Train with a partner. Get someone to tutor you if you can. Then go at this with the right mindset; which is: "this is an acting exam, with a hint of medicine"
You don't know if you're "doomed". IMGs have matched with fails on step 1. I know it's hard to see it know, but its not the end of the world.

Hey don’t lose hope. Try to schedule the exam soon and get it done. I’ll message you some CIS tips that a study partner had taught me if you want.
My friend’s friend who is applying this year, has really great step 1 and CK scores, but has an attempt on their CS exam. Despite that, that person has received interviews. So nothing is impossible. You are still a sold candidate! You can do this!
Thank you. I will hope i will get some interviews. Would you plz send me the CIS notes

Yes i know . But this is fraustrating . When you have a solid and you just take a punch in the face .

I'm sure this is not the end of line. While an attempt on step 2 CS is certainly a disadvantage, it is not something you can't get over. You already have good scores and so there is a compensation right there. May be back it up with more research publications and quick reexam. While you can apply this year but if you wanna remain confident with more publivations and step 3 you can wait till next year

USMD, didn't get an email. PASSED.

Honestly felt like crap about the exam, made a ton of mistakes, and none of my x's were anywhere near the borderline.

Same here man, same here. Passed. So relieved.
Shoutout to Rick & Morty

Reactions: 1 users
Study from the FA and try to type your PNs as much as the examples that they give.

Hello. This is the script that I followed. I found it here in SDN. Hope it helps. Best wishes.

1. Knock

2. Mr Smith?

Shake hands. “Hello, I am Dr. XYZ, one of the physicians in the office, I am going to take care of you today.

What brings you in?”

a. After chief complaint say “I am so sorry to hear that” (1 point for PEARLS).

b. “Can I make you more comfortable” ---> DRAPE PATIENT NOW

c. “Do you mind if I take some notes while we talk?”

3. “Ok Mr. Smith, I am going to ask you some questions and we will try to find the cause of your concern together” (1 point for PEARLS)

NO NOTES, NO INTERRUPTIONS UNTIL THIS POINT, YOU MUST LISTEN TO PATIENT AND KEEP EYE CONTACT UNTIL STEP 3

4. “Tell me more about your Chief complaint” YOU CAN TAKE NOTES NOW

5. HPI/ROS/PAMHITSFOSS – ANY OTHER MNEMONICS HERE

6. “I am sorry this happened to you, let me summarize what we have”.

SUMMARIZE IN PATIENTS WORDS (IMPORTANT!!)

7. Summarize in patient’s words only info relevant to C.C

8. “Do you have any other concerns?” ---> ASK WHILE PUTTING GLOVES (I put on gloves much faster)

THIS IS WHERE THEY ASK CHALLENGE QUESTION, know them from FA

9. “Thank you for answering all of my questions, they are extremly helpful. Can I perform a physical exam on you now?”

10. “Can I untie your gown and exam your lungs”

EXPLAIN EACH EXAMINATION AS YOU DO IT

11. Palpate, percuss, auscultate lungs (Check costovertibral-angle tenderness (CVA) at this time if relevant). “thank you for letting me examine your lungs.”

12. “Now I am going to examine your heart”

13. Auscultate heart. “Thank you”

14. “Please lay down so I can examine … (whatever else needs examining)” Help the patient to lay down.

15. Other exams. “Thank you” (THANK YOU AFTER EVERY EXAM)

16. “Let me help you sit back up and tie the gown”

17. “Thank you Mr. Smith for letting me examine you, Let me give you my impression”

18. IMPRESSION: 3 DDX for C.C and work up for each (THIS IS A MUST)

19. “Do you have any other questions or concerns for me?”

20. “Thank you Mr. Smith for letting me take care of you, we will meet again to discuss your results. ---> SHAKE HANDS AND LEAVE
I did every single one of these. My problem is that i didint counsel as recommended

Passed comfortably despite multiple errors.

My recommendation for anyone who has yet to take the exam is to drill FA Step 2 CS for at least a few days or a week before the exam. Practice writing notes on the NBME template to get accustomed to the character limit. Try to think of a couple of possible diagnoses before entering each room, and even jot them down on your notepad.

For those of you still waiting on your results, try your best to relax. Much easier said than done, but remember that the test doesn't require anything near perfection. If you felt comfortable with the FA cases, you likely performed well on the exam.

Best of luck to all of you.

-Bill

Reactions: 1 user
Try to counsel immediately, so you won’t forget in the closure. Write a “C” in the upper part of your blue sheet. And don’t walk out the room without counseling every single patient, some patients I forgot, but as soon as I saw that circle C I would do it immediately, then I would cross it.
Thank you. am not worried about passing the cs exam anymore. I know that the counseling thing costs me a lot , and i am willing to retake the exam and counsel every single sp . I am worried about my matching apportunities.

Guys any idea how to read the CS report? Its really confusing. While I got high performance in CIS and SEP, my ICE was 6 Xs over grey borderline and 9 Xs right of borderline. (I hope I got the number of X correct)

I expected better performance in ICE because but for the first case which I took time to acclimatise to the environment and made silly mistakes like repeating some questions but I got everything right about the case and in one case I have written only positive physical exam findings in the PN due to lack of time.

And I have got the diagnoses of all the 12 cases right and I have certainly written 2 differentials for each case. I counselled every case. I still don't understand why my performance is just above borderline. May be okI missing something.

For CS score release date, do all students get their results at the start of the reporting date? Or is that the group who took it early in the testing period?

For CS score release date, do all students get their results at the start of the reporting date? Or is that the group who took it early in the testing period?

I think it's similar to Step 1/Step 2 CK where scores come out every Wednesday. So I guess it could be variable sometime within scoring window depending on when you took it

Getting nervous reading some of these. Took it a couple weeks back, feel like I definitely didn’t have a counseling point for each patient.

I did my best to summarize and maintain eye contact. Definitely forgot on average two or three things per room I should have asked or done on physical...
USMD, passed my schools practice CS that is graded harder but seemed easier after walking out. Gonna be a painful two month wait for my score

Hi guys, sorry for the delay! I got my result on October 10th and I passed! 2nd attempt, 1st time failed ICE...

Reactions: 2 users
To summarise this entire thread, even the most obvious ones:

- Everyone makes mistakes in their exam. Normal to walk out of exam scared and having nightmares for a week or two about the mistakes you made.
Remember, this exam is very forgiving.

- Step 3 trick works!!
This time it worked on the same day of result. Its been conclusively proven by the above thread that it works only for those who passed. Disappearance of permit means you are getting result the same week.

- Recommended protocol for the encounter -
1. Knock - thrice
2. Introduction - your Dr. second name and patient's full name
3. handshake - firm
4. smile and make eye contact
5. permission/consent - to sit, make notes, examine. Put your feet on the ground as you sit. Do not sit for emergency cases.
6. empathy - offer water, comfort, soothing words etc
7. Confidentiality - assurance to the patient
8. History - present, past, surgical, menstrual, social, sexual, occupation
9. Summarize - Make sure to ask "anything else to add"?
10. washing hands - make sure hands are fully dry. Make conversation about job, weekend as you wash.
11. physical exam - consent, disrobing only the needed area, explain procedure, start with normal side and very gentle examination (remember 12 more students are repeating the same) apologize for the pain caused(no need of deep palpation of abdomen, no need of hard hit with knee hammer). Once you hear "ouch", don't repeat the same.
12. counselling - offer 2 possible diagnosis. Use growth/mass instead of cancer/tumor. Simple
remedies like rest, applying ice, Keigel excercise, tips to avoid smoking alcohol etc could be recommended. Never forget to ask "Do you have any more questions?"
13. Thanking the patient with handshake, offering your contact details, meet you soon with the results
14. PN (history, ROS, Allergy, PMH, PSH, SH, SHx, 2-3 DDx, lab tests).

You may not be perfect or right, but make sure you dont miss out any of the 14 components mentioned. You will be in a much better position to pass despite major mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, sorry for the delay! I got my result on October 10th and I passed! 2nd attempt, 1st time failed ICE...
Congrats! I will be retaking it in a few days. Any advice? I am more nervous about failing again but I feel much better prepared,