October 1st GI Bill Housing and Tuition Updates for 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every year, GI Bill Benefits either match or surpass inflation for every academic year. Being October 2nd 2019, official changes have taken place for those using your Post 9/11 and GI Bill Benefits ( as well as more changes for Chapter 31 ).

The following changes can be found here:

For specifics on Post 9-11 GI Bill Benefits, check out the following hyperlink: Post-9/11 GI Bill Overview

As time goes on I will try to update our Sticky thread with some more details that may pertain to most of our doctor-to-be veterans.

Taken from the following website: Montgomery GI Bill Rates

The few who have asked and are using the Montgomery GI Bill, look down for the following financial changes according to your benefits as of yesterday. For everyone else, please keep looking for soon-to-be updates regarding your other benefit entitlements.

The following basic monthly rates are effective Oct. 1, 2019. For trainees on active duty, payment is limited to reimbursement of tuition and fees for the training taken.

The rates in the following tables will apply to those completing an enlistment of three years or more.

Institutional Training
Training TimeMonthly rate
Full time$2,050.00
¾ time$1,537.50
½ time$1,025.00
Less than ½ time more than ¼ time$1,025.00 **
¼ time or less$512.50 **

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the information. I am separating in June to begin civilian residency after HPSP time served as a Navy GMO and am desperate at this point to locate anyone to help me. I have read many posts about utilizing the Montgomery GI Bill and generally how to go about signing up for it; however, I am at a small command with no "education" or "finance" team, only one PS2 who is unavailable. I planned on utilizing the Post-911 Bill but since I now matched into a more rural area, the Montgomery Bill will provide about $800 more per month. Today I contacted the Navy GI Programs through phone and were not helpful, but said that I could not participate in the Mont GI Bill at this point. I would appreciate any help!!

Thank you for the information. I am separating in June to begin civilian residency after HPSP time served as a Navy GMO and am desperate at this point to locate anyone to help me. I have read many posts about utilizing the Montgomery GI Bill and generally how to go about signing up for it; however, I am at a small command with no "education" or "finance" team, only one PS2 who is unavailable. I planned on utilizing the Post-911 Bill but since I now matched into a more rural area, the Montgomery Bill will provide about $800 more per month. Today I contacted the Navy GI Programs through phone and were not helpful, but said that I could not participate in the Mont GI Bill at this point. I would appreciate any help!!

If they said you cannot participate in Chapter 30 Montgomery, is that because you opted "out" of the offer when you were in Officer Training School? Opting out on paper is going to be an uphill battle with trying to time the benefits with you getting out and starting your residency. If anywhere down the line you opted out then that's that. Not much of any likelihood for anyone to reference back the paper you signed and default it to a new paper pending you pay the $1200 buy-in unfortunately.

Now, if you didn't opt out of Chapter 30 when it was presented but never actually put in the $1200 investment (which is pending to double to $2400 in the near future as of 12 months ago), you will need to look up what the Navy reference document form is (Usually DD "4-5 digits" Chapter 30) and pay by check the Montgomery GI Bill buy-in as well as the additional $600 buy-up before you leave the DOD (under no circumstance can you pay once you leave the service).

This will be done by an HR rep or your finance/business DOD office. Your unit should be able to provide a DD form 2384-1 which is a notice of basic eligibility that can pertain to educational benefits. You never know if someone got sloppy and did not update info that states you may have opted out of the chance to use Montgomery GI Bill.

This will take some time, I'd try ASAP and see between your DOD leave date and residency time if you can qualify and apply.