October 2019 NPTE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swimmer88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ready for the NPTE and has any advice on preparing for the test? Everyone says this year is a nightmare. I use a practice test every Thursday (sometimes every other Thursday) and review ALL of my questions/answers. I use TherapyEd and Scorebuilders Basecamp as my primary means of studying. I've decided to attach my practice exam scores since apparently everyone is doing that.

Retired NPTE: 550 (In April, before I started studying)
SB Exam A: 63%
Practice PEAT: 594
TherapyEd Exam A: 75%
SB Exam B: 76%
TherapyEd Exam B: 74%
Therapy Ed Exam C: 76%
SB Exam C: 72%

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

I am focusing on the October 2019 NPTE and am studying through NPTE Final Frontier, I'll continue to edit this post as time passes:

TherapyEd Exam A: 123/200 > 62%
SB Exam A: 118/200 > 59%
Therapy Exam B: 145/200 > 73%
TherapyEd Exam C: 134/200 > 67%
Practice PEAT: 156/200 > 682
Retired PEAT: 169/200 > 676
NPTE: PASSED > 651

Followed NPTE Final Frontier cohort for the October exam, daily readings and videos 3 times a week.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it wasn't THAT bad, yet I also marked at least 20-25 questions in each section. To me, the real test was an average mix of questions of varying difficulty, ranging from laughably easy that you can answer within 1 second of reading the question, to moderately difficult ones, forcing you to do a lot more thinking, writing, remembering. Honestly, I didn't see more than 10 questions that were either poorly written or had 2,3 or even 4 wrong choices in them. Whichever it is, hope and pray that we all did pass.
And yes, the PEAT was somewhat easier than the actual test, but it was the most similar test to NPTE.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it wasn't THAT bad, yet I also marked at least 20-25 questions in each section. To me, the real test was an average mix of questions of varying difficulty, ranging from laughably easy that you can answer within 1 second of reading the question, to moderately difficult ones, forcing you to do a lot more thinking, writing, remembering. Honestly, I didn't see more than 10 questions that were either poorly written or had 2,3 or even 4 wrong choices in them. Whichever it is, hope and pray that we all did pass.
And yes, the PEAT was somewhat easier than the actual test, but it was the most similar test to NPTE.
100% agree. I think many, myself included, are focusing in on the 15-20 really tough questions and neglecting how many were very easy, as you said, 1 sec answers. Thought it was a fair mix, missed by 3 questions in July. Confident this go around!

100% agree. I think many, myself included, are focusing in on the 15-20 really tough questions and neglecting how many were very easy, as you said, 1 sec answers. Thought it was a fair mix, missed by 3 questions in July. Confident this go around!
I take it that July's exam was somewhat more challenging? What resources did you use to study for the exam?
And I know that those people that ended up passing from the first try, left the test room absolutely convinced that they actually failed. I am more inclined to believe that I passed, though that could be a bad sign, who knows.

I take it that July's exam was somewhat more challenging? What resources did you use to study for the exam?
And I know that those people that ended up passing from the first try, left the test room absolutely convinced that they actually failed. I am more inclined to believe that I passed, though that could be a bad sign, who knows.
Not sure if July's exam was more challenging or I was just better prepared this time around. Heard of A LOT of people with issues in July though.
I went with NPTE Final Frontier this time around vs only Scorebuilders first try. Bumped up SB practice exams from mid-upper 60's to mid 70's, and PEATs from low 70's to mid 80's.
But i think that's the typical feeling. Feeling of failure and then passing. Little fear is probably good, gotta trust the process!

I was thinking the same thing. There were a lot of questions which I thought were fairly easy, and obvious. However, that makes me nervous and wonder if I answered it haphazardly. The "easy" questions definitely made me second guess myself, but I do remember I made sure to read the question carefully, eliminate the bad choices, and go with my gut. So, who knows what will happen. Definitely 50/50. This next week will definitely be a trip...

I was feeling pretty good after my PEATs but the real thing was a sock in the gut. I honestly can’t say if I passed. Lot’s of 50/50 questions so I guess it’s a good thing I wore my lucky underwear.

I was thinking the same thing. There were a lot of questions which I thought were fairly easy, and obvious. However, that makes me nervous and wonder if I answered it haphazardly. The "easy" questions definitely made me second guess myself, but I do remember I made sure to read the question carefully, eliminate the bad choices, and go with my gut. So, who knows what will happen. Definitely 50/50. This next week will definitely be a trip...
I was actually surprised - pleasantly of course - when I encountered those questions, and when I made my choice without even eliminating the answers, I instinctively marked them for further review at the end of the section, since i though it was a trick. I went back and reviewed those questions, reading them carefully and taking a closer look at the other choices, found out that that they actually asked us those simplistic questions and there was the answer as a choice. Of course, at that time I started second guessing myself, wrote stuff on the dry erase board out of memory, started convincing myself that there's no way I could've forgotten such basics, and didn't change anything. I figured they tried to make the test fairly balanced.

Last edited:
It’s going to be an awesome next few days. In my opinion, that test sucked. Let’s just hope we all passed and start paying off that student debt haha

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a good amount of questions that I was stuck between 2 answer choices, and topics that I studied but not in enough detail. I hope I passed.

Did anyone happen to pass the practice PEAT (which is supposedly harder) but not pass the retired PEAT? I made a 78% 155/200 (passing was 134) on practice but a 137/200 on the retired. I know the retired has the 99% correlation. But I’m hoping the practice peat holds some weight too. I had to pause the retired during the exam for like an hour so that could have thrown me off. Really worried about next weeks results.. I felt like there were a ton of skin related questions I wasn’t prepared for.

Did anyone happen to pass the practice PEAT (which is supposedly harder) but not pass the retired PEAT? I made a 78% 155/200 (passing was 134) on practice but a 137/200 on the retired. I know the retired has the 99% correlation. But I’m hoping the practice peat holds some weight too. I had to pause the retired during the exam for like an hour so that could have thrown me off. Really worried about next weeks results.. I felt like there were a ton of skin related questions I wasn’t prepared for.
Here is the research on PEAT correlation: https://www.fsbpt.org/Portals/0/Content Manager/PDFs/Forum/Forum_Fall2014_PEAT.pdf

I think the most common thing is that people barely pass PEAT and then barely fail NPTE. I think that’s the scenario RagzDPT had, but I’m not sure if they were referring to passing the retired or practice. I know they say that the retired PEAT is the better indicator, and your score report should include your range estimator.

I think the most common thing is that people barely pass PEAT and then barely fail NPTE. I think that’s the scenario RagzDPT had, but I’m not sure if they were referring to passing the retired or practice. I know they say that the retired PEAT is the better indicator, and your score report should include your range estimator.
Thank you for the reply. Yea that’s what I assumed was the common theme. I wish they had some information related to the practice PEAT. I know it’s widely regarded by those who run study programs that the Practice PEAT is much more difficult (lower score required to pass it). Of course it’s my luck I pass the harder one easily and didn’t pass the one with 99% correlation to passing the NPTE. This is my second time taking it, made a 582 first time, and I don’t think I can wait another 6 months to go through this again.

Thank you for the reply. Yea that’s what I assumed was the common theme. I wish they had some information related to the practice PEAT. I know it’s widely regarded by those who run study programs that the Practice PEAT is much more difficult (lower score required to pass it). Of course it’s my luck I pass the harder one easily and didn’t pass the one with 99% correlation to passing the NPTE. This is my second time taking it, made a 582 first time, and I don’t think I can wait another 6 months to go through this again.
I’m in the same boat, as in this is my second time, as well. Just think of it this way - we only missed by a few questions before, so statistically (as long as we kept up studying) we will do better, and not worse!

I’m in the same boat, as in this is my second time, as well. Just think of it this way - we only missed by a few questions before, so statistically (as long as we kept up studying) we will do better, and not worse!
That’s my prayer at least! I already have a job lined up and they waited for me through the first time so hopefully I can pass and make their wait be worth it. Good luck!

That’s my prayer at least! I already have a job lined up and they waited for me through the first time so hopefully I can pass and make their wait be worth it. Good luck!
Awesome! What setting is it? I've been waiting to pass to apply for jobs.

Awesome! What setting is it? I've been waiting to pass to apply for jobs.
Thanks! And it’s in a Nursing home actually (something I didn’t think I’d like originally, but enjoyed!) and they wanted me to work as a PT for a year while getting me prepared to become the DOR the next year! Truly lucky to have gotten something like this...just have to pass the exam this time :/

I read somewhere that if you fail you learn a little bit earlier because if you are working on a temp liscence then that could be a compliance issue with state regulations (or something like that). Does anybody know if that's true at all?

I read somewhere that if you fail you learn a little bit earlier because if you are working on a temp liscence then that could be a compliance issue with state regulations (or something like that). Does anybody know if that's true at all?
Nope.

SB Exam A: 58% (before studying)
TherapyEd Exam A: 66%
SB Exam B: 72%
Therapy Exam B: 74%
TherapyEd Exam C: 72%
SB Exam C: 80%
Practice PEAT: 743
Retired PEAT: 654
NPTE: 749

Need Wednesday to come faster!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
SB Exam A: 58% (before studying)
TherapyEd Exam A: 66%
SB Exam B: 72%
Therapy Exam B: 74%
TherapyEd Exam C: 72%
Therapy Exam C: 80%
Practice PEAT: 743
Retired PEAT: 654
NPTE: ????

Need Wednesday to come faster!
Those are actually very impressive, and I bet you passed!
My SB and TE exams were in 62-77% range.
Practice PEAT: 562 - that's before I studied
Retired PEAT: 648 - that's after I studied, took it 1 week prior to the NPTE
NPTE: I didn't think it was too bad; I'll give myself 60:40 in favor of passing

Last edited:
As I mentioned, this was my second go around. I made a 586 on the first attempt, where I mainly studied using SB.
This attempt I did TherapyEd and used free materials from Kyle Rice.
TEd 1: 72
TEd 2: 74
Retired PEAT: 688
TEd 3: 82
Practice PEAT: 711

This was my first attempt and I have no idea what to think. I felt prepared going in to the exam but I certainly did not feel the same leaving. Honestly it's 50/50 if I passed. Wednesday can't come soon enough. I used Final Frontier, TherapyEd, and free stuff from Kyle Rice to study. Here are my practice test scores for reference:

Practice PEAT (1 week into studying): 658 (157/200)
TherapyEd 1: 65 (122/200)
TherapyEd 2: 71 (142/200)
TherapyEd 3: 70 (139/200)
NPTEFF: 64 (128/200) (but I was interrupted mid-test)
Retired PEAT (1 week before NPTE): 753 (172/200)
NPTE: 672

Last edited:
Those are actually very impressive, and I bet you passed!
My SB and TE exams were in 62-77% range.
Practice PEAT: 562 - that's before I studied
Retired PEAT: 648 - that's after I studied, took it 1 week prior to the NPTE
NPTE: I didn't think it was too bad; I'll give myself 60:40 in favor of passing

Thank you so much! I'm sure we'll both pass. :)

Hope everyone on here ends up passing!
This was my first time taking the exam. I've been told that you walk about of the exam feeling defeated, and they weren't wrong! I find myself mulling over all of these questions that I'm sure I got wrong which feeds into my feeling of not passing. You wait is really too much, but reading these forums help a bit.

TherEd A 60%
TherEd B 70%
TherEd C 72%
Academic Retired PEAT 81% 162/200 682 taken 1 week out
Candidate Retired PEAT 90% 180/200 752 taken 3 days out

I'd be crushed if I failed!

Hope everyone on here ends up passing!
This was my first time taking the exam. I've been told that you walk about of the exam feeling defeated, and they weren't wrong! I find myself mulling over all of these questions that I'm sure I got wrong which feeds into my feeling of not passing. You wait is really too much, but reading these forums help a bit.

TherEd A 60%
TherEd B 70%
TherEd C 72%
Academic Retired PEAT 81% 162/200 682 taken 1 week out
Candidate Retired PEAT 90% 180/200 752 taken 3 days out

I'd be crushed if I failed!
What is the difference between the academic and candidate? When I purchased the PEAT I got a practice exam and retired PEAT.

What is the difference between the academic and candidate? When I purchased the PEAT I got a practice exam and retired PEAT.

I believe the academic PEAT was provided by my school. I bought another PEAT on top of that. I think each peat comes with a "retired" exam and a "practice" exam.

I believe the academic PEAT was provided by my school. I bought another PEAT on top of that. I think each peat comes with a "retired" exam and a "practice" exam.
Is one a more accurate predictor than the other? (Academic vs. Regular)

I guess I'm the only one here that has absolutely NO anxiety over the test results. It seems that ever since I took that test, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders, and now I'm just enjoying myself without knowing weather I passed or not.

Has anyone heard how many are needed to pass from higher ups? I saw in the July thread there were a few posts like that, coming from Kyle Rice and Final Frontier. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
There are different exams provided during each quarter it may be slightly varied. It's not always true when someone says "all you need is X." I've seen too many that stuck with that to have failed by a few. Regardless, you may be relating to this "Think you failed the NPTE" video. While waiting for the results tomorrow and after, please avoid acting like an "Examzilla!"

Reactions: 4 users
Withheld scores are starting to populate, which means most states will be released within 1-2 hours.