October PCAT suggestion. Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnvyV07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I would like to take the PCAT for the first time but am in fear of a very low score. What should I do? Can/should I take it for practice, but still be able to view my scores? If not, would that hurt for my '11 planned admission?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't take the PCAT until you're ready for it (finished the appropriate courses or self-study). It's an expensive exam, and if you do really poorly the first time you take it but do much better the second time and improve by 50 points, Pearson will cancel you score.

I suggest taking the Pearson Online Practice Test under timed conditions. You can buy one for $42 or two form $60. 80% of the questions have been on previous PCAT exams, so they're the closest you'll get to the real thing. You can buy them at http://tpc-etesting.com/pcatopt/

Good luck!

First I would like to thank you for your time. When you say Pearson will cancel your score, what do you mean? Would they think its fraud or something? So, I should prob. wait until Jan. and take it then? Because I have not studied at all. And am in the process of taking Organic 1 this Fall.

Thanks.

Yes, it's a ridiculous rule that penalizes large improvements. The score will not count.

I would take the October test if you think you can handle the studying during your other classes. If not, then go with January. The organic on the pcat is very basic; it's mostly nomenclature and simple reactions, which you would most likely be finished with by the October test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's a ridiculous rule that penalizes large improvements. The score will not count.

I would take the October test if you think you can handle the studying during your other classes. If not, then go with January. The organic on the pcat is very basic; it's mostly nomenclature and simple reactions, which you would most likely be finished with by the October test.

That's pathetic. I am edging towards the January now.

If your score improves by 50 points within a 13 month period, Pearson cancels your score, because they think you cheated. It is possible to appeal and have your score counted. For example, if your score increased b/c you've completed more science classes since the first time you took the test.

You're still early in your pre-reqs, so I wouldn't worry about taking it in October. Since you're applying for the fall 2011 cycle, you'll actually be a little ahead of the game by taking your test in October 2009 or January 2010. To put it into perspective, I'm applying for Fall 2010 and just took the PCAT in June. There are also many applicants on SDN who don't take the PCAT until January are successful with gaining admission for pharmacy school the same year (so long as their school will accept the test).

Thanks to both of you guys. Helped a lot. I believe I will go towards the January PCAT. The rule is stupid... especially for a professional career like this. But it is what it is. I wonder if they approve the appeals easily... hmhmm.

SDN,

I would like to take the PCAT for the first time but am in fear of a very low score. What should I do? Can/should I take it for practice, but still be able to view my scores? If not, would that hurt for my '11 planned admission?

Thanks in advance.

If you're not planning on applying this cycle, I would wait at least until January, and probably until June. There's no rush, and taking it more times won't help you (it probably won't hurt, either, but the time and money is better spent on prep materials).