OD graduate in the PH, thinking of going into Opticianry or OD in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmod

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I have recently graduated from one of the Optometry schools in the Philippines, and am looking into working in Canada. I believe it is not possible/easy to work there without taking a bridging program so I'm thinking of studying again. However, I'm not that confident in my current skills because the actual OD practice here seems far behind what they do in Canada. Our internship was also cut short due to the pandemic so I think I still lack in experience. I believe there are a some universities offering opticianry in CA but there are only 2 options for optometry schools (in Waterloo and in Montreal). I am hesitant to study for another 2 years since OD school in the PH is a 6-year program. But since I probably have no choice, I was hoping to get some advice if I should pursue opticianry instead or still go for OD in CA. I would go for OD if I had the passion, but for now I can't say I love it but I don't hate it either...

If there are ODs/Opticians here who work in Canada, I would gladly appreciate your feedback and experience on the practice in the country/your area. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.