OD Medicine. Less likely to find work?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumors that because osteopathic physicians are less likely to prescribe medication they are less likely to get hired because they don't bring in as much money for the drug companies. I'm searching around to find more information on this issue and I was wondering if anyone has heard of this.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Osteopathic physicians earn the degree and title of D.O. Optomatrist are O.D.'s. O.D.'s have only very limited perscribing rights (I think the exact perscribing rights vary from state to state) and practiced in a very limited scope of medicine. DO's have full perscription rights in EVERY state and practice the full scope of medicine and surgery.

DO's and MD's will both perscribe pharmacotherapy in any instance where it is indicated. The over use of pharmacueticals by ALL physicians has become an issue.

Further, when was the last time you heard of a drug company running a hosital or clinic?

Now, in terms of a DO being less likely to be hired for a job, that is going to vary by region and type of position being applied for. In general, DO's have a little bit harder of a time getting hired for academic positions and on the west coast in and in the south. For all other jobs, it boils down to quality of the applicant, no the letters behind their name.

There you go... my two cents... and you got it for free!

D'oh! I put OD in the title....heh... I meant osteopathic medicine.

Good point about the drug company running the hospitals...

Just trying to get feedback to dispel some rumors

Members don't see this ad :)
It has been awhile, but I have seen a few physician job postings on monster.com that specifically said no DO's. Can't remember where they were located.

This sounds like absolute BS. Both the idea that DO's prescribe less medicine, and the idea that pharm companies have a hand in hiring practices.

Originally posted by JKDMed
It has been awhile, but I have seen a few physician job postings on monster.com that specifically said no DO's. Can't remember where they were located.

I should hope that as physicians, they wouldn't resort to finding jobs via monster.com

Also, a good rule of thumb - take rumors to be false unless proven true. Whoever told you the rumor (friend, stranger, website), it is up to them to supply the facts, not you to defend (or counter). Otherwise, it is just nothing more than an unsupported statement.

Originally posted by AliZ
D'oh! I put OD in the title....heh... I meant osteopathic medicine.

Good point about the drug company running the hospitals...

Just trying to get feedback to dispel some rumors

Where have you heard these rumors and from who? Maybe that in itself will dispel your rumors.

I've heard rumors that because osteopathic physicians are less likely to prescribe medication they are less likely to get hired because they don't bring in as much money for the drug companies. I'm searching around to find more information on this issue and I was wondering if anyone has heard of this.

Thanks in advance!

We actually had an ex-drug rep tell our class that they love DO's because we prescribe more....

Not sure how true that is but if it is, I chalk that up to the fact that more DO's are primary care.

As for the jobs for everyone except DO's. I've never seen it and I get tired of studying a lot and cruise the web day dreaming about where I want to work, while also taking comfort in knowing how much I?ll be making someday (some day very, very, very far away). I have however seen positions just for DO's, mainly for directing osteopathic residencies, as the AOA mandates that the director must be a DO. however you would never find this job add on "monster.com"

Originally posted by group_theory
I should hope that as physicians, they wouldn't resort to finding jobs via monster.com

What's wrong with finding a job on monster.com? How else would you find out about jobs outside of your area?

Originally posted by (nicedream)
What's wrong with finding a job on monster.com? How else would you find out about jobs outside of your area?

Is that a joke? :laugh: Monster.com to find a job as a doctor? get real.

Originally posted by HoodyHoo
Is that a joke? :laugh: Monster.com to find a job as a doctor? get real.

That doesn't answer my question? Is it beneath you or something? I'm serious.

Originally posted by Boomer
Ummm, medical journals? Online physician job search services.

Ok those are other resources, but I don't see what's wrong with monster.

Ok those are other resources, but I don't see what's wrong with monster.

have you actually done a search on monster?? you are very limited vs what you would find in other searches... seems monster is for ppl who CANT find a job as a doc otherwise... take your pick... pharm companies as a spokesman... or join the military... have fun!!

Thanks in advance!

Ironically, I think that if a doctor were to use fewer prescription drugs and use cheaper therapies, he or she would be more employable then other physicians by places like managed care organizations. Physician groups would also probably be more willing to hire them because insurance co's like dealing with docs who don't over-prescribe. Only drugs that are dispensed within physicians offices earn physicians any money (eg oncologists dispensing chemotherapy in their office); otherwise, the only people physicians are making "happy" by prescribing drugs are drug reps, and as a physician, you don't really need to kiss up to drug reps (although some do anyways, to get more free stuff and kickbacks, but that's a whole different story).

Thanks Kalel! I think that was the best answer I've read so far.

That doesn't answer my question? Is it beneath you or something? I'm serious.

Indeed, it is beneath me. I'm just saying that if you are a good doctor and make good connections during rotations and residency, why in the heck would you ever resort to monster.com of all places to find a job?? c'mon. I'm sure most schools and hospitals have resources much better than a stupid website. maybe you can try monster.com and let us know how it works:laugh:

Indeed, it is beneath me. I'm just saying that if you are a good doctor and make good connections during rotations and residency, why in the heck would you ever resort to monster.com of all places to find a job?? c'mon. I'm sure most schools and hospitals have resources much better than a stupid website. maybe you can try monster.com and let us know how it works:laugh:

I think it's more for doctors looking to relocate.

I think it's more for doctors looking to relocate.