Tutmos

MS0
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I was just looking at the U of Mn med school matriculant stats and I was struck by the disparity between in state and out of state matriculants. Isn't the norm to require higher stats of non residents since as a state school it's subsidized by the residents of that state? The national pool matriculants scored lower on every section of the MCAT and had lower GPA's than the in state matriculants. Cart before the horse as it were :confused:

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I was just looking at the U of Mn med school matriculant stats and I was struck by the disparity between in state and out of state matriculants. Isn't the norm to require higher stats of non residents since as a state school it's subsidized by the residents of that state? The national pool matriculants scored lower on every section of the MCAT and had lower GPA's than the in state matriculants. Cart before the horse as it were :confused:
Are you in the MSAR????

If so..the stats you see arent for IS or OOS persay..its for the median scores for all accepted applicants...EVERYWHERE..not just in MN

OP
T

Tutmos

MS0
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Are you in the MSAR????

If so..the stats you see arent for IS or OOS persay..its for the median scores for all accepted applicants...EVERYWHERE..not just in MN
No, I was looking at their own matriculant stats listed on their web site.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
that sucks, well for MN residents anyways

frickonastick

10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
That part of their website is comparing all of the applicants to the U of M (both instate and out of state, and separated into admitted and matriculated) vs. the overall average in the country of the MCAT and GPA for those applying & matriculating into medical school. It's showing that the U's applicants and matriculants have higher average scores on each MCAT section and a higher GPA than the overall average med school applicant/matriculant.

OP
T

Tutmos

MS0
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status
Medical Student
That part of their website is comparing all of the applicants to the U of M (both instate and out of state, and separated into admitted and matriculated) vs. the overall average in the country of the MCAT and GPA for those applying & matriculating into medical school. It's showing that the U's applicants and matriculants have higher average scores on each MCAT section and a higher GPA than the overall average med school applicant/matriculant.
I would like to note that I posted that very late at night in the middle of reading 50 pages of some mind numbing debate about evolutionary psychology :sleep:.

Looking at it now seems obvious, thanks for pointing it out. Maybe I'm not cut out for medicine with such keen powers of observation. :scared: