Odds of getting in and where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffytoez

MS 1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
Biology major with chem minor
age- 20
Ethnicity- African/Black
MCAT: 500
GPA AND sGPA: 3.5
Junior (spring 2019: second semester)
Research: abstract was published
Lived 4 years 7th-10th grade in a foreign country
Languages: Arabic/English
200+ hours shadowing (cardiologist, ent, internal medicine)
200+ hours of volunteering (church, organizations both on and off campus, etc)
100 hours volunteering as an MA
Involved on campus by:
-Founder and president of one of the biggest org on campus
-Involved with Tri-Beta
-Involved with Department of science and engineering on campus

Odds of getting into a DO school? Which DO schools should I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are urm so that puts u at a slight advantage. You are still lacking clinical hours so that might not be the best. Get like 100+ hours volunteering in a clinical setting and i think u should.be good. Idk about school list tho

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for DO schools. HBCUs might also bite. Consider retaking MCAT if you're doing well (508+) on practice tests.

You are competitive for DO schools. HBCUs might also bite. Consider retaking MCAT if you're doing well (508+) on practice tests.
I’m sorry what’s HBCU’s? And nah I’m barely making 500 on real deal (489 on Kaplan)

You could use 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. You would be more competitive if you applied after your senior year in June 2020. If you apply to all your Texas MD schools you should receive some interviews. Also apply to Meharry, Morehouse and Howard. For DO schools you could try these schools:
TCOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
BCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ATSU-SOMA

You could use 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. You would be more competitive if you applied after your senior year in June 2020. If you apply to all your Texas MD schools you should receive some interviews. Also apply to Meharry, Morehouse and Howard. For DO schools you could try these schools:
TCOM
UIWSOM
ARCOM
BCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ATSU-SOMA
But my stats are low for in state MD schools, rt? And regarding DO: I head Lecom is strict, am I right?

But my stats are low for in state MD schools, rt? And regarding DO: I head Lecom is strict, am I right?
I can’t recommend MDs not even in Texas. With a struggle to hit 500 you may find the step exams quite difficult.

How about DO?
I can see you being solid for DO especially with URM. It’s not that difficult to apply to all Texas md schools so you might try your luck there as well. Texas is a good state to be a resident in.

Your URM status helps you tremendously in this situation. According to previous statistics, people who applied in the ballpark of your GPA and MCAT who also identified themselves as African American were accepted to at least 1 MD school 67% of the time. Your best chances are at your in-state TX schools. Your chances for DO are even higher.

Background:
Biology major with chem minor
age- 20
Ethnicity- African/Black
MCAT: 500
GPA AND sGPA: 3.5
Junior (spring 2019: second semester)
Research: abstract was published
Lived 4 years 7th-10th grade in a foreign country
Languages: Arabic/English
200+ hours shadowing (cardiologist, ent, internal medicine)
200+ hours of volunteering (church, organizations both on and off campus, etc)
100 hours volunteering as an MA
Involved on campus by:
-Founder and president of one of the biggest org on campus
-Involved with Tri-Beta
-Involved with Department of science and engineering on campus

Odds of getting into a DO school? Which DO schools should I apply to?
I would apply to some MD schools. You still have a chance. I don't know too many MD schools but I know you stand somewhat of a chance. Better to try than to regret it later. With you being URM, you stand a greater chance. Maybe someone can chime in on some MD schools that are really URM focused.

You will most likely get into multiple DO schools based on your stats, but try for MD. Keep the hope alive.
Some DO schools I would recommend:
KYCOM
WVSOM
All LECOMs
All VCOMs
ARCOM
BCOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
WESTERN
NYITCOM
WCUCOM
PCOM...probs the GA campus cuz of low MCAT, you can try Philly if you apply early

I would apply to some MD schools. You still have a chance. I don't know too many MD schools but I know you stand somewhat of a chance. Better to try than to regret it later. With you being URM, you stand a greater chance. Maybe someone can chime in on some MD schools that are really URM focused.

You will most likely get into multiple DO schools based on your stats, but try for MD. Keep the hope alive.
Some DO schools I would recommend:
KYCOM
WVSOM
All LECOMs
All VCOMs
ARCOM
BCOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
WESTERN
NYITCOM
WCUCOM
PCOM...probs the GA campus cuz of low MCAT, you can try Philly if you apply early

Thank you so much! And with MD I’m definitely applying in state, but don’t know where else to apply other than the known “black” schools, I kinda feel like I’m not gonna be that one in a million to get an interview

Thank you so much! And with MD I’m definitely applying in state, but don’t know where else to apply other than the known “black” schools, I kinda feel like I’m not gonna be that one in a million to get an interview
Yeah sorry, I not sure which schools would be best for you.

There are some I would recommend you look up:
Howard University College of Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Louisiana State University-Shreveport School of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School – Duluth
University of Mississippi School of Medicine
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College School of Medicine
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine

As a point of reference, I applied only to the DO cycle with a 501 MCAT but I was getting into schools that had a 503-505 average. It's always worth a shot to apply. Also, I would recommend trying hard on the essays. They play a larger factor than you think. I 100% think my essays are the only reason I was so successful. But def look into the list of MD schools I listed and pick and choose which ones you like. Best of luck!

Yeah sorry, I not sure which schools would be best for you.

There are some I would recommend you look up:
Howard University College of Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Louisiana State University-Shreveport School of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School – Duluth
University of Mississippi School of Medicine
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College School of Medicine
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine

As a point of reference, I applied only to the DO cycle with a 501 MCAT but I was getting into schools that had a 503-505 average. It's always worth a shot to apply. Also, I would recommend trying hard on the essays. They play a larger factor than you think. I 100% think my essays are the only reason I was so successful. But def look into the list of MD schools I listed and pick and choose which ones you like. Best of luck!
Is it okay if you help me out with that? (The ps)?