Odds of matching anesthesia in desirable location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love to match in California, west coast, major city on east coast in order of preference.

DO student, 241 step1, 663 comlex.

Thanks for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Would love to match in California, west coast, major city on east coast in order of preference.

Not going to get Odds from anyone. Apply broadly with plenty of back up and you'll see. Scores are good, so shouldn't have a problem unless anesthesiology is super competitive, I don't think it is.

You might have a shot at Loma-Linda and I'd imagine you'd be highly competitive for the Riverside program (If you'd want to end up there). I've heard that most of the other Calif programs are a lot harder to crack compared to outside of calif for DOs. I don't think Stanford has ever taken a DO. I think UW takes DOs, not sure about OHSU. I don't know anything about east coast programs. I would imagine that your 241 puts you in a pretty good place, just apply broadly and you'll match.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might have a shot at Loma-Linda and I'd imagine you'd be highly competitive for the Riverside program (If you'd want to end up there). I've heard that most of the other Calif programs are a lot harder to crack compared to outside of calif for DOs. I don't think Stanford has ever taken a DO. I think UW takes DOs, not sure about OHSU. I don't know anything about east coast programs. I would imagine that your 241 puts you in a pretty good place, just apply broadly and you'll match.

Thanks for the tips. I checked aroune, looks like UC irvine has a DO as well.

How have grads for your school done in this regard for Gas?

In looking over my own students, I was surprised that not that many have gone into the field (~3%), which is normally DO friendly. But of those that did, I see some decent names/places on the list. Half of them, in fact, went to sties in CA, Baltimore, NYC, and Seattle. Most of these are ACGME sites associated with University hospitals at Really Top Schools, for whatever that is worth.

Thus, my read is that you will be successful in what you're aiming for. And good luck!

Very decent shot given that you maintain a similar performance on CE and CK