% of 2005 applicants on SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paps

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what everyone thinks the % of this yrs applicants are active visitors or have visited SDN pre-dental forums. Anyone think it's more than 20%?

Members don't see this ad.

Paps said:
Just wanted to know what everyone thinks the % of this yrs applicants are active visitors or have visited SDN pre-dental forums. Anyone think it's more than 20%?

I think gavin mentioned he thought close to 70% of people at least look at the site. My estimate would be near there as well. However I would say of that 70% only about 25% or less actually post here, the rest just use the interview feedback.

I think 70% is way too high. Based on anectodal evidence on the forum, there are going to be around 9,000 applicants this year. That would mean there would be about 6,000 people using SDN. I just think those numbers are way too high. When I was on interviews, I was suprised at how many people had no idea what SDN was. IMHO: ~300 people actively use SDN, ~1000 people lurk or just use interview feeback.

Members don't see this ad :)
edkNARF said:
I think 70% is way too high. Based on anectodal evidence on the forum, there are going to be around 9,000 applicants this year. That would mean there would be about 6,000 people using SDN. I just think those numbers are way too high. When I was on interviews, I was suprised at how many people had no idea what SDN was. IMHO: ~300 people actively use SDN, ~1000 people lurk or just use interview feeback.

i had the same experience on my interview. I agree with you edkNARF.

I'd say no more than 10%. I've been to 5 interviews already and so far I've met only 2 people that actually new about SDN and one of them being an active SDN member.

DDS2BE said:
I'd say no more than 10%. I've been to 5 interviews already and so far I've met only 2 people that actually new about SDN and one of them being an active SDN member.

Ditto...Of the 30 or so peeps I've met on interviews, only 1 other guy was familiar with SDN -- and he said he just found it a week ago.

I'd agree that the number is lower. I'd guess it's in the 10% to 30% range. Basing that on the number of students at each interview and at BYU that actually know about SDN.

I don't recall ever saying 70%--that would be phenomenal. Although, I can't find that old post to verify that.

I believe 40% of applicants have had contact with SDN.

I agree with the lower percentages 10-20% as well.

Lets say that every interview I have been on had approximately 10 people.. When the topic of SDN came up, usually only 2-3 said they look at it, the others said they never heard of it.

I'd say ~25%

I agree that the % is not significantly high. But what if they don't want you to know that they've been on SDN bc of whatever reason? We all know that many here want to remain anonymous.

ItsGavinC said:
I believe 40% of applicants have had contact with SDN.

This is a good statement: I know a lot of people that are only familiar with the interview feedback section and don't know about the forums - heck, I was one of them for quite a while. I do believe that a figure around 40% is accurate (it's just a hunch).

Members don't see this ad :)
drat said:

Thanks for finding that. I'm not sure what the actual number is, but I do know that every interview day 40-50% that interview at Arizona seem to have seen the site.

The number of hits we get per day is absolutely astouding and FAR above the number anybody would suspect.

Lurkers are one part of the equation. You have to figure that for every 1 poster there are 5-6 lurkers. And, people not visiting the forums are another part of the equation.

ItsGavinC said:
...The number of hits we get per day is absolutely astouding and FAR above the number anybody would suspect...

Out of curiousity, Gavin, what is the average hits per day, and if possible, what are the numbers for the dental forums (if you can/may disclose such information)?

Gavin,
If it's not appropriate, you can delete my reply. SDN should be proud of the stat. :thumbup:
sdn_stats.jpg

ItsGavinC said:
Lurkers are one part of the equation. You have to figure that for every 1 poster there are 5-6 lurkers. And, people not visiting the forums are another part of the equation.

I don't think there are that many lurkers. If one looks at the bottom of the "Pre-Dental Forum" page, it states how many registered users and guests are currently browsing. As of December 3rd, 2004 at 6:45 PM EST, there are 49 people browsing: 24 members and 25 guests. So I guess the ratio would be about 1:1.

edkNARF said:
I don't think there are that many lurkers. If one looks at the bottom of the "Pre-Dental Forum" page, it states how many registered users and guests are currently browsing. As of December 3rd, 2004 at 6:45 PM EST, there are 49 people browsing: 24 members and 25 guests. So I guess the ratio would be about 1:1.

The ratio at that instant in time might be 1:1, but that can't be taken as evidence that it always is.

And, stats for the pre-dental forum alone can't be the only ones viewed. I know that I spend LOTS of time in other forums, and when I was applying I was constantly in other forums.

The other item of significance is that if a person has merely 1 post, then he/she is a member and not a guest, even if they've only had one post in the last X number of years. That's also a lurker.

So, the stats you've stated might be translated into 5 members with 50+ posts, 10 members with 10+ posts, and 9 members with less than 10 posts, along with 25 people with no posts.

ItsGavinC said:
The ratio at that instant in time might be 1:1, but that can't be taken as evidence that it always is.

And, stats for the pre-dental forum alone can't be the only ones viewed. I know that I spend LOTS of time in other forums, and when I was applying I was constantly in other forums.

The other item of significance is that if a person has merely 1 post, then he/she is a member and not a guest, even if they've only had one post in the last X number of years. That's also a lurker.

So, the stats you've stated might be translated into 5 members with 50+ posts, 10 members with 10+ posts, and 9 members with less than 10 posts, along with 25 people with no posts.

Good Point. I stand corrected.

Luder where did you get that info? just curious.

Wow, luder. And to think that some people have commented about the length and depth of some of my replies.... :)

I got the info from alexa.com.