# of applications submitted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many AMCAS applications have been submitted or initiated?

Members don't see this ad.

Just bumping this back up to the top of the pile.

I think there was an earlier thread that said there had been about 17K apps initiated. The general consensus was that that number seemed low.

I think gower has some reliable numbers.

Homer J.

I'll bump this one. I'm curious as to what Gower has on the latest numbers.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
I predict the # of apps will plummet considerably this year (due to AMCAS's mess)!! It's ironic that AMCAS thought this would be a more practical/efficient method (ha ha!). (eventually, it will)
Many people simply don't have the time to deal with the endless array of crap associated with the primary app. Congratulations to those who were already able to complete it!!
Don't forget, AMCAS will indeed suffer for their failure this year. (I personally think most of the damage has been done.) Let's just pray things improve from here!!

Does anyone remember how Gower got those numbers previously? I'd be willing to check. did he just call? or did he have contacts?

later

Originally posted by 12R34Y:
•Does anyone remember how Gower got those numbers previously? I'd be willing to check. did he just call? or did he have contacts?

later•

Gower, from what I understand, has contacts with the AAMC, so unless you know someone there I dont think its possible to get specific numbers.

The original number he posted back in June was that around 17,000 applications had been initiated. That seemed somewhat low to me, but perhaps now it has increased substantially. I would have guessed that there would be anywhere between 35k-40k people applying this year, so it struck me as odd that only have of that number had gone through the simple process of getting an AAMC ID and initiating an app.

I think that perhaps a few hundred people might drop the process this year, but I dont think that there will be a massive decline in the applicant pool this year.

Most of the premeds applying have worked 3 years to get to this point, so I dont think they would just drop out just because of the application problems out there.

If there really is a massive decline due to the AMCAS problems, that tells me that the applicant pool is not as competitive as I thought it would be, since those people dont appear to be dedicated to studying medicine.

i hope there is a significant decline this year...i need to go this year cuz my biological clock is ticking :)..my wife wants to have a baby in 4 years and i wanna be out of school by then... :D
it's likely to be in the low 30K or even upper 20K..hope it drops to ~ 1990 levels :)

Originally posted by baylor21:
•The original number he posted back in June was that around 17,000 applications had been initiated. That seemed somewhat low to me, but perhaps now it has increased substantially. I would have guessed that there would be anywhere between 35k-40k people applying this year, so it struck me as odd that only have of that number had gone through the simple process of getting an AAMC ID and initiating an app...•

I'd say those numbers were fairly accurate. You have to include the large number that are taking the August MCAT. They wont have time to start the process until right after the MCAT. Look for a slowdown in new people signing up this month and next, then a surge from September up until the deadline.

It's sad, but there are some students I'm teaching at Kaplan that dont even know that the application is only online this year. They are paying a thousand dollars to do well on just one part of their application [MCAT], but are ignorant about the actual app. sad :(

I don't know what the total is, but you can add one to it. I just submitted mine. :D