lina123321

ralph: im a unitard
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
over the rainbow
Status
Medical Student
i have three blocks set up for anesthesiology next year, one in august at my home institution, and two open ones (sept and oct). in your experience(s), would doing 2 aways be too much? i'd also like to get a letter from one of the programs if i can, so would doing one in october be too late?

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i'm an img so it might be different for me. i just did 2 anesthesia rotations and wish i had done 1 or 2 more. first of all they were all a lot of fun and enjoyed going to work everyday and secondly each away is a garunteed interview (sure it might be a courtesy interview but none the less it's an interview). if you're a strong candidate from a US school I've heard of students match into good programs without ever doing an anesthesia rotation or having a letter of rec from an anesthesiologist, if you're a weaker student than why not have all the help you can get. it will suck to not match and then doubt yourself that what if I did one more away i might have matched.

Of course I think most people do only 2.

MCYan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i am an AMG, went to a top 40 med school, just matched at a fairly competitive anesthesia program. The only anesthesia rotation I did was in March of my third year at my home program. July-Sept I did my ICU subI, some pathology rotation and palliative medicine.

If you are planning to get a letter from your away, I would aim for sept the latest. It takes time for them to write the letter as well, and you want the letter to get in as early as possible. Most interview invites for me came before my dean's letter was out (nov 1).

And I personally have heard multiple programs which did not offer interviews to all away rotators.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I did two aways, one in June of MS4 year and one in September/October. Letters from both were in my application for the majority of interview season. My first choice before i rotated there ended up being 6th and the second rotation was the place i ranked first and matched at. couldnt be happier.

in that regard, it wasnt as important for me to get my foot in the door as it was to see the inner workings of two programs that i had a lot of interest in. not everyone can do it but it helped me a lot.

Jeep23Guy

Texan
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did 2 away rotations. One in September and one in October (September was my first month of 4th year). I was pretty sure these programs would both be in my top 3-4 and they ended up being my 1/2. I matched my #1, but I'm not sure if that would have been as likely had I not rotated there. I feel like I was a good, competitive applicant, but I think rotating through the department really pushed me over the top.

On a side note, at the program where I matched, the other away student I rotated with matched there as well. Also, there's at least one more student that did an away rotation there that will be in my class. (so that's at least 3 that matched after rotating at the institution).

chaucer

7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did 2 away rotations as well, and I was glad I did. The program that was my pre-interview #1 went unranked, and the away I almost cancelled ended up being my #1, and is where I matched. I'd try to find out about the rotations before deciding to do two - some are well-organized, guaranteed interviews, etc, and some are not organized, no one cares about you, and are probably a waste of time. Only do the aways if they're at programs you're very interested in, or if you have some reason to be in that city for a month. I didn't get a letter from either, but October is probably late to be asking for one.