# of board exams in Radio??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathman1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if anyone knew the number of board exams a radiologist must take during residency or when they've completed residency (excluding the board exam for sub-specialty certification.)

Also why have they removed the intern year from path but not from Radio?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

pathman1 said:
Hey, just wondering if anyone knew the number of board exams a radiologist must take during residency or when they've completed residency (excluding the board exam for sub-specialty certification.)

Also why have they removed the intern year from path but not from Radio?

thanks!

We take a total of 3 boards.

Physics boards (imaging physics , so its relevant): Usually taken in the beginning of 2nd year of radiology, some take it in 3rd year. Most places have some sort of class in physics in the month prior to the exam.

Written boards: Usually taken in 3rd year, some take it in 4th year.

Oral boards: Taken in June of 4th and final year of radiology. Must have passed the other two to be eligible. Taken in Louisville, Kentucky. Consists of 12 sections with cases presented by an expert in that section (GI, GU, muscuoskeletal, neuro, mammography, peds, etc). If you fail more than 3 sections, you have to retake the whole exam (I believe they offer the retake sometime in late fall). If you fail less than 3, you have to take those sections only (you are considered to have "conditioned" the board, not failed it).

You also have to take USMLE Step III sometime after intern year.

Radiology actually made the intern year a requirement only in the past 15 years or so. I think it really does help in understanding some of the clinical situations that arise, but probably not that much. I don't know why we still keep it.