# of courses in Harvard Extension Pre-Medical Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quitethenovelty

future MSTP student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I compare the Harvard Extension Pre-Med program to the post-bac pre-med program of UC Berkeley, it seems appalling to me that Harvard should have such a minimalist course selection while Berkeley flourishes with an abundance of pertinent selections. Has anyone had a bad academic experience at UC Berkeley's post-bac pre-med program? Looking at the course selection, this choice now seems like a no-brainer!

Members don't see this ad.

All you need is your prerequisites and then move on with your life. I don't see how Berkeley can have a "better selection" unless you're looking to waste time on unnecessary classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, Berkeley offers quite a variety of medical science courses, that may be indicative of success in the first half of med school. Apart from that, I'm not sure if Harvard allows former pre-meds to enroll in their program. I know they used to keep the enrollees first-timers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking 24 credits per semester (at UC Berkeley) is pretty intense and I worry that it wouldn't leave much room for EC's. You need to also be spending a lot of time on volunteering, research, getting clinical exposure, etc. The science pre-req's and your MCAT score are supposed to be indicative of your ability to succeed in med school - theoretically it shouldn't be necessary to take upper level courses if you have solid numbers. That's more the realm of SMP's.

UC Berkeley may be better for someone who needs significant grade repair, assuming the courses aren't curved harshly. On the other hand, HES leaves a lot more time for filling in the other important areas of the application. Pros and Cons.

If you're so disillusioned at the extension school, then go do your classes at berkeley. Have fun.

Kind of hilarious that you refer to yourself as a future MSTP student and you haven't even finished pre-reqs.

Well, Berkeley offers quite a variety of medical science courses, that may be indicative of success in the first half of med school. Apart from that, I'm not sure if Harvard allows former pre-meds to enroll in their program. I know they used to keep the enrollees first-timers.
lol You're in for a world of hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
When I compare the Harvard Extension Pre-Med program to the post-bac pre-med program of UC Berkeley, it seems appalling to me that Harvard should have such a minimalist course selection while Berkeley flourishes with an abundance of pertinent selections

Minimalist course selection? What? You must just be looking at core premedical courses and omitting electives. Harvard Extension School has dozens of biology electives most of which can be taken for undergraduate or even graduate credit. Then add courses at Harvard Summer School which are listed separately, and relevant courses in other departments (e.g. Biostatistics, Organic Chemistry of Drug Synthesis and Action).