% of IM residents from Caribbean get into fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red-rat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that most caribbean grads from Ross and SGU go int IM. How many of Internal Medicine residents get int fellowships? According to the list on their websites not many do.

How hard is it to get into Hem-Onc or Cardiology from SGU or Ross?

Members don't see this ad.

red-rat said:
How hard is it to get into Hem-Onc or Cardiology from SGU or Ross?

First, the schools don't do that great of a job (at least Ross) of tracking and posting who got fellowships. This is really up to the graduate to relay this information to the school and, let's be honest, once a graduate is done with Ross or SGU, in their IM residency, and moving forward applying to fellowships, Ross/SGU is the last thing on their mind as they continue to try to distance themselves from their undergrad med and focus on their accomplishments in their residency.

Having said that, Hem/Onc is definitely do-able. There are Carib grads who get these. It really depends on how well you do in your IM residency and who you can get letters from (etc.). In that sense, where you go for your residency is fairly important if you plan on doing a fellowship. As far as cards goes, that's going to be tough no matter where you went to medical school as well as where you do your residency. Cards and GI are the most competitive fellowships in IM now and will be for the foreseeable future.

Long story short, for fellowships it matters more where you get into and do your residency than where you went to undergrad med.

-Skip

Do you think that less than half of the Carib IM residents who want to, get into fellowships? I realise that not all atempt to. I think IVe heard that 1/3 try.

In the IM residency sticky thread it says that 32.9% of cards and 39.8% of hem-onc fellow resdents are IMGs. So I guess there is hope for those interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
red-rat said:
Do you think that less than half of the Carib IM residents who want to, get into fellowships? I realise that not all atempt to. I think IVe heard that 1/3 try.

In the IM residency sticky thread it says that 32.9% of cards and 39.8% of hem-onc fellow resdents are IMGs. So I guess there is hope for those interested.
Yes many fellows in IM, even in competitive fields are IMGs, especially in what are sometimes considered less geographically desirable areas (midwest).
The quality of your work as a resident and the prestige of the hospital will carry much more weight than your particular med school by far.If you go to a carribean school getting an academic program with a strong reputation for residency is a good idea.

I know this thread is about IM, but what about EM? Is that relatively tough to break into coming from a foreign school?

My thanks.