Of my list of MD schools, which should I apply/not apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrinceAli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 14 PS, 9 V, 11 BS (34Q)
cGPA: 3.25; sGPA: around 3.0
Most significant ECs: Hospital Volunteering, have done research for almost a year, and on the eBoard for a few other medical organizations. Overall relatively active

During my year off, I will be working part-time in a tutoring job.

I'm willing to go anywhere in the US for med school, and am willing to apply to some Caribbean schools as safeties as well.

After extensive research, this is the list of schools I came up with that I have the best chances in:

In-State Schools:
1. Drexel
2. Temple
3. University of Pittsburgh
4. Penn State University
5. Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
6. Commmonwealth Medical College

First Batch (where I have the highest chances)
7. Albany Medical College
8. Eastern Virginia Medical School
9. Howard University College of Medicine
10. Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
11. Meharry Medical College School of Medicine
12. MSU College of Human Medicine
13. Morehouse School of Medicine
14. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Chicago Medical School
15. University of Illinois College of Medicine

Second Batch (more selective admissions)
16. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
17. NY Medical College
18. Tulane University School of Medicine
19. University of South Alabama College of Medicine
20. University of Toledo College of Medicine
21. University of Vermont College of Medicine
22. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
23. Wayne State University School of Medicine
24. Wright State University School of Medicine

Third Batch ("reach" schools):
25. University at Buffalo School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
26. University of Louisville School of Medicine
27. University of Minnesota Medical School

I've made this list based on schools GPA range, MCAT range, and their Out-of-State admissions statistics from the most current MSAR. I've selectively chosen schools that give better probability to OOS students.

What schools do you think I should take out of this list? And then what other schools should I instead apply to that I have good chances at? Thank you for any help you can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless this is just your MD list, I'm sure many would agree to consider D.O. schools as well.

Are you a URM? My stats are similar to yours, but a little lower (3.0/33Q) and my list is basically identical. I am a URM, however and I'm still pretty unlikely to get into an MD program. I'm hopeful that I'll get into an MD, but I'm also applying DO.

Have you considered DO?

Edit: Not to be negative, but if I wasn't a URM I wouldn't be wasting money on MD applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered doing a postbacc/SMP to bring up your sGPA? Considering the average GPA for accepted students is 3.6, you are at a great disadvantage with the 3.0. You should also consider looking into DO schools (DO>>>>>Caribbean in terms of matching in the US mainland). I don't have access to the MSAR anymore and I don't know the details about most of these schools, but I'd say you would not be a competitive applicant at Pitt based on your GPA and lack of research (people do get into Pitt every year without any, but as 91% of those accepted did research, it would definitely be to your advantage to have some research).

I'll definitely be applying to DO schools (in addition to Caribbean) as well. I'm starting to do research on DO schools and their requirements, but am focusing on finishing and submitting my AMCAS application early.

Also I'm sorry, somehow I forgot to add research to the list. I've done undergraduate research for about 8 months during my sophomore year going into junior year.

I have considered doing a postbacc/SMP but have decided to teach and work in a hospital during my gap year instead, mainly in the interest of saving money (I just edited my first post showing that). I am also considering adding a third thing to show medical schools I am serious (if I get an interview), but I'm not sure what. I could get a third part-time job in research possibly.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I've heard some schools screen GPA higher than 3.0, maybe even higher than 3.2 so I would check into that. You're definitely set for any DO schools.

That's what I'm very worried about, being screened from all of the MD schools I apply to before they take a closer look. I've had a rising GPA trend from my freshman year and relatively good ECs and MCAT but my freshman year throws everything off (which I know is pretty common).

The other downside to my application is I don't have any shadowing experience so far, and I've been contacting doctors to get that. From the preliminary research I've done on DO schools I've realized many require a letter from a DO so I'm trying to get that right now.

That's what I'm very worried about, being screened from all of the MD schools I apply to before they take a closer look. I've had a rising GPA trend from my freshman year and relatively good ECs and MCAT but my freshman year throws everything off (which I know is pretty common).

What's your GPA breakdown year by year?

What's your GPA breakdown year by year?

My freshman year (unfortunately...) ended with a 2.50 cGPA
Sophomore year: 3.285 cGPA
Junior year: 3.572 cGPA
Senior year: 3.617 cGPA

The other downside to my application is I don't have any shadowing experience so far, and I've been contacting doctors to get that. From the preliminary research I've done on DO schools I've realized many require a letter from a DO so I'm trying to get that right now.

Unless you are a URM I suggest you save yourself a bunch of money and apply only to DO schools. With a 3.2 and no shadowing your chance at an MD is very slim.

You could delete University of Southern Alabama, your stats do not qualify for the OOS misson group.

Unless you're URM and/or have shown extensive clinical volunteering with underserved populations then I would remove Meharry and Morehouse. The reason why I feel like your school list needs major work is the fact that you possibly selected school simply based on stats but not on mission or fit.

Unless you're URM and/or have shown extensive clinical volunteering with underserved populations then I would remove Meharry and Morehouse. The reason why I feel like your school list needs major work is the fact that you possibly selected school simply based on stats but not on mission or fit.

I tried to be very thorough when researching medical schools. I'm not sure where to start or how to choose schools based on mission or fit, but I'm willing to do the work. Should I start by going through the schools' mission statements?

Thanks alexrgross for suggesting I remove University of Southern Alabama, I was a little iffy about that one for being OOS. Are my other ones okay for me for OOS?

And that's what I'm hoping notbobtrustme, that I get lucky if I apply very early. I realize I have very slim chances but I hope my hard work will pay off and by some miracle I'll be accepted somewhere.

I tried to be very thorough when researching medical schools. I'm not sure where to start or how to choose schools based on mission or fit, but I'm willing to do the work. Should I start by going through the schools' mission statements?

Thanks alexrgross for suggesting I remove University of Southern Alabama, I was a little iffy about that one for being OOS. Are my other ones okay for me for OOS?

And that's what I'm hoping notbobtrustme, that I get lucky if I apply very early. I realize I have very slim chances but I hope my hard work will pay off and by some miracle I'll be accepted somewhere.

There is an MSAR section that tells you the mission of each school.

There is an MSAR section that tells you the mission of each school.

I've gone through all of the mission statements of my schools through the MSAR, and see why removing Meharry, Morehouse, and University of Southern Alabama was a good choice. I've also removed University at Buffalo as well, and now I'm down to 23 schools.

Does anyone know of any other schools where I would be competitive at (as an OOS student) that I should add to my list?

Yes reading and understanding mission statements is a start. To bring it to the next step go to the schools website or even call them about programs you're interested in. Let's say you want to work in disadvantaged areas or homeless shelters find out if the schools have programs for M1s and M2s to gain clinical experience in such a setting. Use that mission focus as an answer for "why our school?" In the secondaries. Yes its a lot of work but it will lncrease your chances a lot more and make this an effective cycle in every way including financially.