Wahoo07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
OK, maybe a stupid question here, but when you look at a school's stats in the MSAR or wherever and it says "# of people applying", is that the number of people who submit AMCAS apps designating that school, or is that number the number of people who turn in secondaries, LORs, etc. (basically complete their applications)?

pocwana

MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 11, 2002
L.A.
www-scf.usc.edu
Status
Medical Student
Not a stupid question. Made me think. This is what I figured: Somewhere on this board, someone said that UCSF gets 5000 apps and sends out 1400 2aries (or somewhere around there). In 2003-04 MSAR for UCSF, total number of Applicants is 4832. Closer to 5000, so I assume MSAR means everyone who applied through AMCAS (or sent in first apps for schools like Columbia & NYU) :)

About the Ads

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Definitely, it is the number of people that selected that particular school on their primary AMCAS application or submitted an application for the non-AMCAS schools.

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Things are going well. Great bunch of folks. Classes are interesting. I did well on the first anatomy quiz. It's not winter yet.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2002
44 deg 1 min 11 sec N, 92 deg 28 min 55 sec W
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
according to my figures, someone from out state and applying to Duke as a 4.5% acceptance rate *based on the AMCAS application*. Thus, the true acceptance rate is prolly much higher, since I've noticed at least a few people here on SDN decide not to turn in the Duke secondary after seeing all the horrible essays. So that's reassuring...at least, it should be. Now if only everybody with an MCAT >35 decided not to do the Duke secondary.

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Adcadet
Now if only everybody with an MCAT >35 decided not to do the Duke secondary.
or if people named adcadet, jot, doctoroctopus, or relatively prime decided not to do the Duke secondary. :)

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
"Picksburgh"
Idonthaveone
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by Bikini Princess

or if people named adcadet, jot, doctoroctopus, or relatively prime decided not to do the Duke secondary. :)
Wasn't even on my AMCAS;)

OP
W

Wahoo07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Adcadet
Thus, the true acceptance rate is prolly much higher, since I've noticed at least a few people here on SDN decide not to turn in the Duke secondary after seeing all the horrible essays. So that's reassuring...at least, it should be.
That's exactly what I was thinking, and why I brought it up. :cool: Thanks for the replies. :clap:

About the Ads