# of people applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahoo07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, maybe a stupid question here, but when you look at a school's stats in the MSAR or wherever and it says "# of people applying", is that the number of people who submit AMCAS apps designating that school, or is that number the number of people who turn in secondaries, LORs, etc. (basically complete their applications)?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a stupid question. Made me think. This is what I figured: Somewhere on this board, someone said that UCSF gets 5000 apps and sends out 1400 2aries (or somewhere around there). In 2003-04 MSAR for UCSF, total number of Applicants is 4832. Closer to 5000, so I assume MSAR means everyone who applied through AMCAS (or sent in first apps for schools like Columbia & NYU) :)

Thanks for the info Pocwana! Anyone else have anything to add?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely, it is the number of people that selected that particular school on their primary AMCAS application or submitted an application for the non-AMCAS schools.

How do you like it at Mayo, mpp? :)

Things are going well. Great bunch of folks. Classes are interesting. I did well on the first anatomy quiz. It's not winter yet.

according to my figures, someone from out state and applying to Duke as a 4.5% acceptance rate *based on the AMCAS application*. Thus, the true acceptance rate is prolly much higher, since I've noticed at least a few people here on SDN decide not to turn in the Duke secondary after seeing all the horrible essays. So that's reassuring...at least, it should be. Now if only everybody with an MCAT >35 decided not to do the Duke secondary.

Originally posted by Adcadet
Now if only everybody with an MCAT >35 decided not to do the Duke secondary.

or if people named adcadet, jot, doctoroctopus, or relatively prime decided not to do the Duke secondary. :)

Originally posted by Adcadet
Thus, the true acceptance rate is prolly much higher, since I've noticed at least a few people here on SDN decide not to turn in the Duke secondary after seeing all the horrible essays. So that's reassuring...at least, it should be.

That's exactly what I was thinking, and why I brought it up. :cool: Thanks for the replies. :clap: