DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
How much did you raise your score by during those last 6 wks? (previous mcat'ers of course ;) )

volcano!

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2004
Status (Visible)
I went up 8 points from April '03 to August '03, but my August score was around what I was averaging on practice tests before both tests. I found out the April score at the end of June, so I had about 6 weeks to study for the August test.

MErc44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Half way home
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
went from probably a 24 6 weeks before to a 33 on the actual. I was taking the princeton review. 3 weeks before i got a 28 two weeks a 26 then the week before a 31. I was pretty scared when that 26 came out of nowhere. Nothing is certain

About the Ads

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
MErc, wow. That's awesome. I hope that happens to me too.

Cerb, yea man...51 days to be exact.

I have a diagnostic coming up on 3/6, we'll see how that goes. It's been low (really low) 20s so far.

You know, a miracle could happen, and i could misbubble by accident and all the answers would end up right ;) (reminds me of a sabrina the teenage witch episode...ahh, the good 'ole days, when all was well).

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
if you are taking kaplan diagnostics you should realize that they purposely make the tests in decreaing difficulty so that you feel like you are really improving.

gonakillmcat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Status (Visible)
I improved maybe about 7-8 points in those last 6 weeks or so.. those days are critical not only for studying but finally putting things into context. I was taking princeton review so finally around that time we has covered a majroity of the material and now i knew what i was doing on those damn physics passage.. be patient work on your test stratagies and if you can try to take atleast 4 full lengs withing the next 6 weeks and you will be fine.

MErc44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Half way home
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by DrSal

I have a diagnostic coming up on 3/6, we'll see how that goes. It's been low (really low) 20s so far.

as long as you improve. If you're not then I would worry. Lots of people in my princeton review class didn't take the MCAT because of this. Hope it goes well.

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
yea, i'm doing TPR. In terms of practice exams...i got plenty. 3 coming up with TPR, their A-D exams, and then the 4 aamc's online. Oh yea, i also have kaplan comprehensive. I htink they have like 1 or 2 full-lengths in their.

God i hope i finish this stuff in time.:smuggrin:

+pity+

MErc44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Half way home
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think the key is to not think about it. I was taking 15 units while studying so i didn't really have time to worry. I got pretty pissed when I was pulling 8 hour days in the library over spring break while my friends were getting drunk. To make up for that I'm going to get drunk now.

Bad Mojo

Cold as Ice
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
I went up six points from the last practice exam I took a week before and the real thing. I was always good at peaking at the right time.

About the Ads

cornell2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
2 weeks before the mcat i got an 8 on physical sciences (kaplan), scored a 12 on the mcat

size_tens

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2003
Status (Visible)
I think the key to studying for the mcat is not to overstudy. Yes you do need to have a good handle on basic scientific principles and have your timing down for each section. However, imo the mcat is more a test of logic and reasoning than knowledge. If you find yourself trying to memorize what kinds of cytokines each category of T-helper cells secretes (or something else that's equally useless), then immediately put your books down and go out and get drunk or get laid, preferably both.

gizzdogg

keeper of the three lions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2001
Status (Visible)
I really think for most people 6 weeks of studying 25hrs/week is sufficient for the MCAT. I'd maxed out my score after studying for six weeks and improved 13 pts in the process. Perhaps the diagnostic score was overly harsh, but probably not by much. Don't fret! There is hope! and i agree with the above post. Concentrate on analytical thinking (do a lot of verbal) and not so much on memorization.

MrTee

15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Cerberus
if you are taking kaplan diagnostics you should realize that they purposely make the tests in decreaing difficulty so that you feel like you are really improving.

I don't know if that's necessarily true, I took a lot of their tests and my scores didn't show a nice linear upward trend. But it could be just me, and the subjects I wasn't familiar with.

bokermmk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
Status (Visible)
2 weeks before the MCAT i got a 11,7,11 = 29 on 6r. I got a 12,12,11 =35 on the real deal. I thought 5r was the best predictor of the actual test.

bigbaubdi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
I took a practice exam about 4 weeks before and I improved about 5-6 points on the real exam.

I think it is clear from the previous posters that you can improve a lot in the few weeks before the exam.

Good luck to all those taking the April exam!

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
thanks you guys.

Seriously, when i posted this msg i was thinking "OMG, 6 weeks!! Should i put it off till august??" But i feel much better now. I've developped yet another action plan, and this time there's enough pressure on me to actually carry it out.

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
Sooooooooooo. I just registered for the April mcat.

it's for real.

Tick tock,

tick tock,

tick tock.......

clumpymold

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.dtmpower.net
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by DrSal
Sooooooooooo. I just registered for the April mcat.

it's for real.

Tick tock,

tick tock,

tick tock.......

Wow, good luck!

As for your sig, not sure if you should be putting that you'll be in some med school Fall of 2005. You don't want to be disappointed. ;)

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by clumpymold
Wow, good luck!

As for your sig, not sure if you should be putting that you'll be in some med school Fall of 2005. You don't want to be disappointed. ;)

Perhaps i should go along with your sig instead... :laugh:

TheFlash

Playtime Is Over
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
The City of Blinding Lights
Status (Visible)
Six weeks is plenty of time. My most significant score increases happened in the month leading up to the exam, because I did more and more practice tests as my basic science studying came to a close. Practice tests are the single most important things you can do to prepare! Peronally, I think an effective predictor is to average all your practice test scores you get in the month before the exam and expect +/- 3 points on test day.

ad_sharp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
You never know
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm a bit of an odd-ball I guess, but my MCAT went up five points between April of last year to August with no significant studying. I studied before the April test and stressed myself out so much that I got a 27. On my August exam, I barely studied, tried not to stress, ate well, and got a good night's sleep. I scored a 32. Never underestimate the imporance of not putting too much stress on yourself. You will do far better if you sleep the night before the exam. Btw, good luck.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.