# of schools applied to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nichols195

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i keep reading comments that say you should apply to at least 15 schools...etc etc

i applied to 7! 5 of these were in-state....i just figured i should only apply to schools out of state that i'd strongly consider going to over state schools b/c odds are if you get accepted out of state you will definitely have acceptances in state (the state is OH by the way)

any opinions or similar situations?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm the same way.

I only applied to 9 schools, all in state. I figured that I would not go to school out of state if I get into my state schools. I'm from California, so our schools are very hard to get into, but I don't wanna live in cold weather or be that far away from my family by applying back East.

Its working so far: I have an interview at my top choice UC Davis coming up on December 3rd. :D

I applied to 17, but this is mostly because when I started the app process I was dealing with a not-so-good MCAT score, so I picked some schools I thought gave me a good chance and only a few reaches. When i got my August score I added some more competitive schools on and left all the rest (since I'd already paid for them), even though I'm not all that thrilled with some of the options. I guess my objective was to get in somewhere this year, hopefully one of top choices, so I figured the more the merrier. 17 may be a bit too many in hindsight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by siempre595
I applied to 17, but this is mostly because when I started the app process I was dealing with a not-so-good MCAT score, so I picked some schools I thought gave me a good chance and only a few reaches. When i got my August score I added some more competitive schools on and left all the rest (since I'd already paid for them), even though I'm not all that thrilled with some of the options. I guess my objective was to get in somewhere this year, hopefully one of top choices, so I figured the more the merrier. 17 may be a bit too many in hindsight.

So how many schools on average:

1. Should you apply to?
2. Should you respond with secondaries?
3. Should accept interviews from?

I am planning on applying to 20, probably only doing a maximum of 10 interviews. That sound reasonable?

hm..... am i the only person applying to more than 20 schools? somebody please tell me that i am not alone!

27 total here (if memory serves)

thank you UCLA2000! i applied that magic number as well!

My magic number is 19, but mostly because I'm interested in moving somewhere new. Some people are really happy where they are or have other reasons to keep them close to home. Heck, I'm young and this is my chance to live in another part of the country. Seems like the people from states that have a lot of schools apply to less because their chances of getting in are better (even if the state schools might be the "safety" ones).

Originally posted by klp14
My magic number is 19, but mostly because I'm interested in moving somewhere new. Some people are really happy where they are or have other reasons to keep them close to home. Heck, I'm young and this is my chance to live in another part of the country. Seems like the people from states that have a lot of schools apply to less because their chances of getting in are better (even if the state schools might be the "safety" ones).

Klp,

Same with me! I love Boston and the state of mass. but I want to get someplace warm!! Let me know if you have any grand ideas:cool:

Where are you applying to medical school BDF? It seems the really warm places only take in-state students? How many school do you have on your AMCAS this year?

35 hehe
try being a reapplicant after trying pretty much your philosophies during my 1st try. Applying to state schools and thats it but being from NY (I think second most competitive state) all I got was waitlists. This year I refuse to not get accepted.:mad:

I'd like the following:

20 interviews

20 acceptances

Shoot high, or not at all...

:) :laugh: :)

I applied to 24 school on AMCAS
but am shooting to send out secondaries to 20 of those
schools (16/20 so far)...gettting there.
Anyway, I just applied to any school I thought I would
have a decent chance of getting into
location and wheather were just secondary to
getting atleast ONE acceptance!!
Only one interveiw so far.....still waiting :confused: :confused:

haha...beat you all!!!

41 schools...including 7 texas schools...

well...it was stupid of me just to apply alot of the school that i was not even get near to... like loma linda...(not that i'm against their PHL, just i don't wanna quit drinking or smoking for the school)

anyway...after AMCAS, i didn't even turn quite a few secondaries....

but does anyone out there over 40 like myself?
or am i the only pathetic one here...

well...as long as i get in this year, no regret...

i applied to 25 schools through amcas & 2 in ireland/uk.

filled out 21 secondaries.
rejected from 3 pre-secondary.
still waiting for a secondar from 1.
withdrew 1 app in uk.

phew!

I did 41 through AMCAS (no Texas-system schools)....

Though I completed secondaries only at 37 of them....

Originally posted by CoronaBOY
haha...beat you all!!!

41 schools...including 7 texas schools...

well...it was stupid of me just to apply alot of the school that i was not even get near to... like loma linda...(not that i'm against their PHL, just i don't wanna quit drinking or smoking for the school)

anyway...after AMCAS, i didn't even turn quite a few secondaries....

but does anyone out there over 40 like myself?
or am i the only pathetic one here...

well...as long as i get in this year, no regret...

Originally posted by Mudd
Where are you applying to medical school BDF? It seems the really warm places only take in-state students? How many school do you have on your AMCAS this year?

i pmed you

Originally posted by xaelia
I did 41 through AMCAS (no Texas-system schools)....

Though I completed secondaries only at 37 of them....

dang...that much cost you alot...alot...

you do deserve to get into your 1st choice school...:)

good luck