#of schools incredibly high

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drago

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
as i mentioned, i got an 8/12/10/T on my MCAT and have a 3.88 GPA at a well known university. I am a CA resident, and although I have preferences, I am willing to go to ANY allopathic school in the U.S. Since this is very important to me, money and time ARE NOT issues. i have a list of about 48 schools to apply to. is it possible that schools will see this and look down on it? remember, i don't care where i go and there is no way in hell i want to apply again next year so i am applying to everywhere. please advise. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If AMCAS can be believed, schools don't see the list of med schools you have applied to. The real issue is how many secondaries you can possibly do and how many interviews you have the time and money to attend. I myself have applied to 30 AMCAS and 1 non-AMCAS school. Some cities or metro areas have several schools within them (like DC, with Georgetown and GWU), so I'm hoping I can schedule two interviews or so on one trip, if I'm chosen to be interviewed.

In your case, I would have to say that your GPA and MCAT are certainly competitive, and if you have the other stuff like research, volunteering, etc., I think you'll be fine. Perhaps you should consider paring your list of schools down a bit.

drago, I think you should probably not apply to 48 schools. I am not sure that the schools will look at it with disfavor, but you will be doing yourself a disfavor. I do not care how much you want to be an MD, 48 applications is crazy. Your GPA and MCAT are ok, and I know you said before you have extracurriculurs. As long as you submit your application early on (ASAP), you should be fine. I would try to cut my list down about 50-75% if I were you and go from there. Geesh.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that the transmital note sent to schools not only contains your informations (school attended , GPA , MCAT [scores and dates] but it also includes the schools you have applied to. Unless AAMCAS changed it this year that is a fact. :) Best Wishes!.

Dr.Perez

At the end of the AMCAS printed app, there is a note which says that the list of schools that one designates is not sent to medical schools. I am just basing my earlier post on that, and if anyone knows for sure or has heard of any recent changes in this policy, please post up.

While I don't think it would hurt you, are you really sure you have the time for 48 secondaries?!?! I was worn out doing 15 or 16! Personally, I'm thinking you can probably find ways to pare down your list to maybe 30 schools, but that's your business. Bottom-line, I seriously doubt any of the other med schools will know how many you are applying to.

Good grief, and I thought that I applied to alot of schools :eek:

All in all, if I remember correctly I'm applying to 26 AMCAS (some are MD/PhD) and 5 of the Texas schools.

I figured that its probably going to cost me around $3000-$3500 for this whole process, assuming I get around 5 or 6 interviews.

Applying to 48 schools would break the bank (as if its not broken already). If you got the cash and the time however, then go for it. If you get accepted early then you can cancel the other interviews and save money.

By the way, some of these secondary fees are ungodly. Whats with the $95 fee by Georgetown? They must be using part of that money to subsidize their failing health care center. Just kidding, I know its not failing (since the merger anyways) :D

48 schools huh?

Well you know what they say, "better to be safe than sorry" :D