# of schools you're applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dx253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm just trying to get an idea of how many schools is average come application time. I would consider myself a competitive applicant, and currently I plan on applying to schools with an MPH in Health Policy. I guess I have this fear that I only apply to three schools and get rejected, having no other choices.

Currently I'm sitting at a list of nine schools that are on my apply list, but I'm wondering if I should apply to all of them, or narrow it down a few.

Does anyone else have this same fear/feeling?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suspect that you'll see both ends of the spectrum (applying to many schools and few schools). I am finishing my Doctor of Pharmacy degree; I applied to one school and got in the first time. I start MPH classes in August and the same thing happened (however, the MPH program is at the same university as the PharmD program, so that significantly helped).

I wouldn't actually suggest that you only apply to one school. Consider all the factors about each school that are important to you and apply to the schools that meet the majority of your requirements. Personally, nine schools sounds like a lot to me; applying to 4-5 schools sounds reasonable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dx253, I do not think nine is a long list if like half of them are top notch schools. If you are able to afford it, I think nine is fine so you will have a better chance of getting in somewhere than if you applied to four, especially if you'd like to go to a top tier school/program.

My $0.02. All the best!

I wouldn't worry about applying to too many. Cast a broad net, right? :D It can't hurt.

So far I am set on four schools, but I'm thinking maybe I should apply to more.

Glad to know that more people are having similar thoughts. I have five that I would love to attend no matter what, but the other four or so are kind of safety choices.

Thanks for all of the input guys/gals!

I'm in a similar boat. It looks like I'll be applying to about 9 programs. I have my heart really set on 2, 3 more that I'd be perfectly happy with and the rest are basically safeties/back-up type schools. I'm hoping to narrow it down a bit more, but I'm a huge worrier so I doubt that that will happen.

I'm in a similar boat. It looks like I'll be applying to about 9 programs. I have my heart really set on 2, 3 more that I'd be perfectly happy with and the rest are basically safeties/back-up type schools. I'm hoping to narrow it down a bit more, but I'm a huge worrier so I doubt that that will happen.

I couldn't agree with you more. I would probably be safe with a few but like you, I worry a lot. Better safe than sorry!

And I'm sure you're a very competitive candidate like I am, but I've been a planner for all of my life. Just like you said, better safe than sorry!

Im applying to 1 school.. maybe 2 tops..

Am I crazy??

There are just not many schools that I feel have a strong suit in my concentration :/

Im applying to 1 school.. maybe 2 tops..

Am I crazy??

There are just not many schools that I feel have a strong suit in my concentration :/

i thought i was crazy, haha. i'm only applying to two schools.

Hi! Originally, I only applied to two schools, but freaked out and made it four by the end of the cycle. Although I was accepted to all four, having those final two gave me peace of mind.

For me, I really only applied to the schools (and cities) that most fit my needs. I have always been of the opinion that though school name and reputation are important in an industry, I'd much rather attend a program I fit well in and succeed than force a fit and be miserable.

I would apply to the programs you could really see yourself in. If you can't see yourself in 9 or 10, but need that peace of mind, thats okay too. At this point, this is all about what your goals are, both personally and professionally. If you're really stuck, talk to an advisor or trusted professor. Its amazing how much a little guidance can help.

Good luck!

I applied to ten schools and I don't regret doing so. I'm the sort of person who needs a fail-proof backup plan in case my Plan A caves in and if you're like that too, there is no harm in applying to more for that peace of mind that you'll need. There is no 'etiquette-appropriate' amount. However, it is definitely a monetary issue as well for some - but the money is miniscule compared to the massive loans most will have to pay to whatever school then end up going to. So massive >_<

I originally wanted to apply to 12 but then one of my recommenders (and pretty much my mentor) told me that she would only write me five letters. At first, I was really frustrated but it made me seriously look at each school and whittle my list down. In the end, it was one of the best things she could've done for me and Im grateful she did! It saved me a ton of time and money!

I applied to only 1 and got in, but that was really my only choice anyways. Not sure what I would've done if I hadn't gotten in, and if I had the option I would've applied to more schools.