# of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of applying to mabey 15 or so osteopathic schools...and possibly 5-10 allopathic... is this wayyyyyy tooo many schools to handle?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to about 15 TOTAL schools. Don't forget that it gets expensive :)

realruby
Nope, not too much at all... I say go for it. As long as you can afford it. You never know if that school you didn't apply to would have been the school that would have accepted you.

I applied to 16 of the 19 osteo schools.... Good luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ok...i think im gonna apply to about 17 schools...i know its gonna be pretty damn expensive but i hope i dont get screwed with too many secondaries all at once...does anyone know what kind of quesitons are asked on secondaries? how many essay questions? and are the essay questions similar for most school's secondaries? im just afraid i wont have the strength or brainpower to write a million different essays...

If you want specific questions for specific schools last year.... Just post up and I'll go ahead and type it up for you. Fair warning, it might change this year....

So post up the schools and I'll take the time to respond to you.

That's not bad at all. Most Californians apply to 20+ schools.

Hi Popoy,

well, here are a few schools ....

CCOM
AZCOM
DMU
PCOM
WESTERN
WEST VIRGINIA
OHIO UNIVERSITY
LECOM

(...or any other DO school except oklahoma and texas)

....I know that may be quite a lot of schools that i might be asking for, but i will greatly appreciate any of the info that you provide

Thanks
:)

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine

*List any relatives who is an osteoathic physician.
*List college extracurricular activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilities.
*List community activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilities.
*List your favortie hobbies and/or no-academic interests.
*List all medically related work and/or volunteer experiences. Include date, position, title, and responsibilities. Yu may attach a resume.
*Why did you apply to CCOM?
*Why should we accept you into this year's class?

*The students at Midwestern Universy have established a uivesity wide honor code. The code is desine to promote and educate students onhe importance of personal intergrity in the meical profession a hopes to further Midwestern Universty as a community of integrity and trust. Given the importance Midwestrn University places n honor and integrit plese respod to the following question as completely as possible. Why are one'speronal honor and integrity important in the medical profession?

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine

*List any relatives who is an osteoathic physician.
*List college extracurricular activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilities.
*List community activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilities.
*List your favortie hobbies and/or no-academic interests.
*List all medically related work and/or volunteer experiences. Include date, position, title, and responsibilities. Yu may attach a resume.
*Why should we accept you into this year's class?
*If you applied to AZCOM lasy year, what have you done since the to improve your applications?
*The students at Midwestern Universy have established a uivesity wide honor code. The code is desine to promote and educate students onhe importance of personal intergrity in the meical profession a hopes to further Midwestern Universty as a community of integrity and trust. Given the importance Midwestrn University places n honor and integrit plese respod to the following question as completely as possible. Why are one'speronal honor and integrity important in the medical profession?

Notice how similar CCOM is to AZCOM.... because they are both Midwestern University

Des Moines University Osteopathic Medical Center

*Please complete the prerequisite grid below (i.e Bio, Inorganic Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, Engsh/Speech)
*Briefly list your medically relatd experience. This ca be paid emplyment, volunter work or both. List current experiences fst. Describe your medical experience in you personal statement.
*For candidates who are reapplying, check ne of the boxes below....

*The admissions committeee requires a statement of no more thanwo pages describing your interest in training as an Osteopathic physcian. Attach to this appication. A separate emplyment or extracurricular record is not required. Donot send research aticles (you my refer topublictions in our statement): do not snd transcripts or other documents nless requested by us.

(I chose to go to DMUOMC so if you have other specific questions, post up in our thread at DMU-OMC Class of 2005 in the Osteopathic Forum)

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

*What healthcare related experiences have you had
*If you are reapplicant, what have you done since your last appliction to become a more competitive applicant?
*Give the name and relationship of all relatives in the osteopathic profession. Please include college and date of graduation.
*Have ou ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking volation? If the answer is yes, please attac an explanation on a separate sheet.
*On the reverse side of this appliction, wrtie a statement indicatingwhy you wish to becomme an osteopathic physician. Indicate specific reasons why you want to attend Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Western University - College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

There are things like work experience, volunteer, etc.... very extensive and they want specific things like phone numbers of the person that was incharge or boss of your work or volunteer, address, city, state, names.... I have a feeling COMP calls these people randomly to see whether or not you're lying about your experiences.

PERSONAL STATEMENT

1. Describe and discuss your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in osteopathic medicine.
2. Describe the qualities that you possess that will make you a good osteopathic physician.
3. What criteria did you take into consideration in applying to Western U/COMP?
4. Describe any community service. Please include any work that you may have done in a medically underserved or economically disadvantage community.

These are the more important question you need to tackle, but I remember thinking that COMP had the most extensive information they wanted to fill out for you.... ie. your experiences. If you want specific, just post up and I'll tell you exactly what they want.

West Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Sorry I didn't apply to this one.... I remember then saying they prefer those that live in the appalachian mt region or have family members or history there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Sorry I didn't apply to this one as well... :(

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

*How do you plan to finane your osteoathic medical education?
*Have you ever interviewed for admission to the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine?
*Are you currently attending or have you ever attended a post baccalaurreate program?
*Have you had any US military experience?
*List any employment in chronlogicl order beginning with your current position:
*Have you ever attended a medical school as a candidate for he MD or DO degree?
*Is a family member a DO?
*How did you learn about osteopathic medicine?
*List all of the dates when you took the MCAT.
*Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will makyou a successful osteopathic physician:
*Explain or decribe any clinical and/or health related experience you have had, include extracurricular school and community activities.

There's other things for "STATEMENT OF PAST OR PENDING DISCIPLINAY ACTION." If you're really interested then I'll post it up otherwise all of my answer to it where "NO."

realruby.... I had applied to 16 schools.... be specific as to which one you want info about and I'll post it up.... for now those are what you asked for.... my fingers are getting a bit numb ;)

I applied to AZCOM, CCOM, TUCOM, UNECOM, LECOM, KCOM, COMP, PCOM, UHSCOM, OSUCOM, UMDNJSOM, NSUCM, PCSOM, MSUCOM, MYCOM.

Later :cool:

Hi popoy,
i really appreciate all your info...
here are some schools from your list

PCSOM MSUCOM, KCOM, COMP UHSCOM, UMDSNJSOM and UNECOM

once again, thanks alot for your help i greatly appreciate it!!!!! :p :) :D :cool:

Here goesssssss..... :D

Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine

*List all activities (e.. employment, travel, etc) that account for your time since earning a bachelor's degree.List the most recent activity frst. (Attach a separate shee if necessary)
*List all extracurricular, volunteer, or vocational activities you participated in while in college. List dates.
*List any academic honors, distinctions, and schorships you have earned. Include participation in any type of honor socities. Attach a eparate sheet if necessary.
*List the names of three persons who will be providing, PCSOM at your request, with evaluations/letters of reference:
*STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: Attach a eparate sheet stating why you should be selected for trainig as a primary care, rura osteopathic physician.

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

1. Describe either a memorable activity or life experience that has influenced your decision to enter medicine and explain the nature of the impact on you.
2. Briefly summarize any personal experience(s) with either: medical professionals; friends; family members; or acquaintances that influenced your decision to enter osteopathic medicine.
3. In general terms, please briefly compare and contrast your current understanding of an osteopathic and allopathic treatment approach to a patient presenting with a medical problem such as asthma, ankle sprain, headache, or depression.
4. Summarize your understanding of what makes a competent osteopathic physician and explain how those skills, knowledge-bases, attitudes, or beliefs specifically apply to you.
5. Describe a personal or ethical challenges you have faced that has influenced the development of your character.

*Paid Work Experience
*Volunteer Experience
*Extracurricular Activities
*Academic Activities

Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine

*List Clinical/Health related experience
*What has changed since your last application?
*What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?
*Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
*(More STATEMENT OF PAST OR PENDING DISCIPLINARY ACTION)

The University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

*Has your education to de been continuous other than vacations? If not, or if not in college, indicate what you have done while out of school or since graduation.
*In what extracurricular, community/volunteer, or vocational activities did you participate while in college.
*What honors did ou receive while in college or after completion of college?
*Have you been employed during the regular school year while in college or grad school?
*USA Military Service
.... Much more needed info on who's your premed advisor, name of science instructor, if treated by osteopathic physician, where you grew up, primary source of learning about the college, etc.

*List any other information you believe is pertinent to your application such as, but not limited to,motivation for applying to UHSCOM, qualities you have to offer, uniqueness, life experience, etc. (ONE PAGE)

University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, School of Osteopathic Medicine

*(Questions regardin past disciplinary actions)
*APPLICANT ESSAY: Please discuss your preparation for medical school, both academic and non academic. Describe both strengths and weaknesses aociated with your preparation for medical school. Please use the back of thispage for the essayan attach additional sheets as necessary.

University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

*Describe any contcts you may have had with medicine or health care delivery:
*How do you plan to finance your osteopathic medical education?
*List extracurricular activities/interest:
*Have you ever been sanctioned by any employer, professional society, licensing board, or similar agency or have you ever surrendered any professional license or certification? If yes, please explain, inluding dates and state:
*In the space below present a written statement telling why you wish to become an Osteopathic Physician, why you wish to attend UNECOM, and any additional information you feel the college should know about you in order to aid the admissions comitee in evaluating your application.
*What particular qualities do ou feel you can bring to UNECOM?

COMP = College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific = Western University :D

So you got that one already.... Later :cool:

That was a nice typing/finger exercise :D

Hope those help!!! Good luck and best wishes!!!

thank you soooooo much popoy...you have no idea how much you've helped me!!! :) :D ;) :)

Your most welcome.... :cool:

Enjoy!!!

Popoy,

Just out of curiousity, what was it about the 4 osteopathic schools that you didn't apply to, that made you not want to apply to them?

Billie

The out of state vs in state preferencial....

But PCSOM and WVSOM have almost the same criteria...producing FP docs for rural Appalachia (even though the many students that are from out of state eventually return home). I was just curious as to whether there was another deciding factor of one over the other. :)

Billie

Another factor was making a decision with my advisor.... I had dinero to spend and if I was to spend it which one would I have a fighting chance to get into.... We both came down to that list.... there were other factors we were going for too.... my advisor had stats on whether or not students from my university got accepted to a particular school with certain types of GPA and MCATs.... I was willing to dish out the money and my advisor help me finalized it....

Cool! That sounds like a very resonable plan. I had only applied to very few schools, and was just wondering what the deciding factors are for applying to a large bunch! :)

Plus I was have to admit I was curious as to why you didn't apply to my school :D

Billie, MS-IV
WVSOM

That's coo' Billie.... nothing against WVSOM, I think is a great school and a wonderful state (WV). If I was a resident of the region I wouldn't hesitate to apply there.... See ya' 'round the forum :cool:

Hi Popoy,

Do you happen to remember how much room there was on the UNECOM application for that last long essay (why UNECOM, why osteopath, etc...)? I'm trying to get started early on the 2ndary but I don't want to write too much and then have to severely shrink it. Thanks for all of your help!!! :) Liz

PalCareGrl
Sure thing.... I actually kept my secondaries for osteo so I have it in front of me....

The last question for UNECOM is:
What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to UNECOM?.
That's 2-2.5 inches of space.

The second to the last question, that I think you're referring to is:
In the space below presnt a written statement telling why you wish to becoe an Osteopathic Physician.....
That's 3.5-4 inches of space BUT you can "Attach additional sheets if necessary."

Okie dokie, hope that'll get you started.... Good luck.

Popoy-

Thanks for the help! I felt a tad behind schedule and you're going to help me step up my prep...

Anyone have any nfo on DMU-OMC(DesMoines) or NOVA's secondary?

Schools I applied to: AZCOM, DMU-0MC, KCOM, LECOM, PCOM, NOVA, COMP, PCCOM, and UHSCOM.

Thanks in advance!
-A