# of spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucydm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out how many spots a program has open for the match (meaning how many were filled with prematches, how many in the do match)?

Members don't see this ad.

when you do the ROL they show you the number of spots available for the match (quota) for each program.

select ur speciality, select the state and whether it is cat or prelim or whatever, and then submit. I guess this is enough .

Well, dont trust the quota before 31st Jan. cuz it will keep on changing till deadline.

Wow, that's cool.. thanks guys. I never noticed that before. So can I rightly assume then that any disparity between the quota and how many people there are per class equates to how many pre-match offers were given to FMGs?

Wow, that's cool.. thanks guys. I never noticed that before. So can I rightly assume then that any disparity between the quota and how many people there are per class equates to how many pre-match offers were given to FMGs?

Common misconception. FMGs are not the only ones who can accept prematch offers. All independent applicants can. In other words, only US Allopathic Seniors cannot.

These folks (below) can:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/ind_app/

Independent Applicants

Applicants who are not seniors in a U.S. LCME-accredited allopathic medical school may participate in the NRMP Match as independent applicants if they meet certain criteria.

Six types of independent applicants may participate in the NRMP Main Match:

Previous graduate of a U.S. medical school (someone who graduated earlier than September 1 in the year before the match)

Student/graduate of a U.S. osteopathic medical school

Student/graduate of a Canadian medical school

Student/graduate of a Fifth Pathway program

U.S. citizen student/graduate of an international medical school

Non-U.S. citizen (including permanent residents) student/graduate of an international medical school.

Yeah, but when you break it down, FMGs make the largest percentage of independents. So while you are right that you can't simply assume total-those left=FMGs, you can generally assume about half of those are FMGs.

Yeah, but when you break it down, FMGs make the largest percentage of independents. So while you are right that you can't simply assume total-those left=FMGs, you can generally assume about half of those are FMGs.

You are right about the first part. I'm not going to quibble about the percentage, but one simply doesn't know, right?

I'm a USIMG going through the match this year and I'm not too thrilled about the number of prematches. It seems to me that it penalizes most everyone who remains in the match (yeah, I know it also removes some of the competition).

Seeing the quotas evaporate (among my programs as of now about 1/4 of the positions are gone) is just not a comforting feeling.

It's very interesting...the programs I interviewed at all usually fill with no problem with US grads, and their quota numbers=# of current residents in a class.

The ones that historically don't fill are showing about 1/3 to 1/2 of their spots left....

I'm ******ed, I guess, but I didn't realize programs would accept so many outside the match to ensure they fill and don't have to scramble.

What a funky weird trip this is.

Is it March 15 yet??????????????????????????????????????????????????

It's very interesting...the programs I interviewed at all usually fill with no problem with US grads, and their quota numbers=# of current residents in a class.

The ones that historically don't fill are showing about 1/3 to 1/2 of their spots left....

I'm ******ed, I guess, but I didn't realize programs would accept so many outside the match to ensure they fill and don't have to scramble.

What a funky weird trip this is.

Is it March 15 yet??????????????????????????????????????????????????

All of my competitive programs have policies prohibiting them from offering prematches. Others, based on their current quota have been filling spots with prematches.

Did the DO match already happen, too? I thought that if programs had DO spots available they took them from their quota for the regular match.

DO match is for DO programs. If DOs go into allopathic, they either do the MD match or they prematch. They don't match into allopathic programs from the DO match.

You are right about the first part. I'm not going to quibble about the percentage, but one simply doesn't know, right?

I'm a USIMG going through the match this year and I'm not too thrilled about the number of prematches. It seems to me that it penalizes most everyone who remains in the match (yeah, I know it also removes some of the competition).

Seeing the quotas evaporate (among my programs as of now about 1/4 of the positions are gone) is just not a comforting feeling.

My lower 10 programs all have lost almost 50% of spots to prematches.
I know what you feel....

I don't know how many of you this applies to but my gf contacted a resident in a program who talked to the PD. He said that they set aside a certain number of their quota for the DO match which takes place in a couple weeks I believe. Then if those spots aren't matched, they up the quota of the allopathic match. That's a family medicine program.

I'm sure there's pre-matching as well but I think this is part of the explanation too.

I don't know how many of you this applies to but my gf contacted a resident in a program who talked to the PD. He said that they set aside a certain number of their quota for the DO match which takes place in a couple weeks I believe. Then if those spots aren't matched, they up the quota of the allopathic match. That's a family medicine program.

I'm sure there's pre-matching as well but I think this is part of the explanation too.

This is what I heard - it's for programs that are both md and do programs. I think 1/3 are set aside for DOs. But if they don't fill with DOs they're open for the MD match.

This is what I heard - it's for programs that are both md and do programs. I think 1/3 are set aside for DOs. But if they don't fill with DOs they're open for the MD match.

I know of a program in Pittsburgh that set aside 5 spots for the DO match and the PD told us that they might put some of those 5 spots back in the Allo match if it doesnt go to 5 do's.

but, isnt Jan 31 the deadline to submit quotas for the match? are this programs able to add them later and how?

For me its better, I think I have quite a few programs that have set aside for the DO and if they can have more spots for the quota after Jan 31st the better for me.

The quota change date for programs was yesterday (Jan 31), but programs registered for both the AOA and the NRMP match are allowed to add to their NRMP quota if they do not fill their AOA spots. I believe you must inform the NRMP about this in advance and get permission. (Disclaimer: My program does not participate in the AOA match)