Of the people that get into only 1 school, how many get off the waitlist?

Oct 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
This is really confusing to me. It seems like luck plays a huge role since half of all people in med school get into only one. But if a lot of those people got off a waitlist... then that would be a more interconnected system right?

About the Ads

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
100% apply to medical school
60% ultimately get rejected
20% get a single acceptance
20% get multiple acceptance

1) Rejected, single acceptance, multiple acceptance all may or may not have been on waitlist
2) waitlists are not standardized and every school sets their own standards, order, and number on list. This varies widely by the 140+ schools
3) interconnection occurs only after acceptance by a standard set of AAMC reports (multiple and national acceptance reports and protocols (traffic rules) that allow schools to fill all spots without poaching students from each other

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I actually think this is a small number. A large chunk of applicants get only a single admit because they're admitted to their state school, where the population competing for seats is a lot smaller, not because they get lucky and sneak in off a waitlist at the end of the cycle.

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

CyrilFiggis

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Waitlists are fickle and irregular. There are some people sitting on an acceptance who would prefer to come off waitlist at a "better" or higher priority program. Technically once trafficking day comes in the spring, they only have one acceptance, but technically when they matriculate they'd be listed as multi-acceptances.

This happened to me but reverse. I got an acceptance during the year but was waitlisted from some other schools. I never requested to come off and suddenly in early June I had an offer in my inbox. I ended up not accepting. So what does that make me?

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
100% apply to medical school
60% ultimately get rejected
20% get a single acceptance
20% get multiple acceptance
Using the @gonnif system, every person can only be counted once. Many (probably most) of those 20% singles and 20% multiples (as well as many of the 60% dings) appeared on one or more wait lists during the application process before receiving their acceptance.

So if what you're asking is this: "Of the 20% in the single-acceptance pool, how many received that acceptance after traffic day?" -- well, that sounds like a very difficult (impossible?) question to answer. It happens, but those are the OMG! cases you hear about.

Jul 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I was waitlisted at a low yield school where I thought I had a good interview. The school made a whole big song and dance about 30% of the class coming off it. No luck for me. Waitlisted at another with virtually no movement.

When that happened in February first thing I did was make plans to apply DO. Good thing I did as I have 3 DO IIs.

The thing to ask yourself, really, is beyond providing some kind of comfort or consolation prize that you're a competitive applicant... how does this speculation help you?

aymar

2+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student
From what I have seen on SDN, we are pretty rare. My one and only acceptance was off a WL in June... but I was also on multiple waitlists. I was pretty active on SDN during my application year, as well as in the "no acceptances yet" thread. Most users I know of either had multiple acceptances, no acceptances, or at least 1 outright acceptance and 1+ waitlists.

You would be hard pressed to find users who had >1 interview who weren't on at least 1 WL at some point in the cycle.

About the Ads