Of the people that get into only 1 school, how many get off the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

This is really confusing to me. It seems like luck plays a huge role since half of all people in med school get into only one. But if a lot of those people got off a waitlist... then that would be a more interconnected system right?

Members don't see this ad.

Would like to know as well from people who have gone thru the process

I am not sure what your question is and how it relates to luck. How would this be an interconnected system?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think this is a small number. A large chunk of applicants get only a single admit because they're admitted to their state school, where the population competing for seats is a lot smaller, not because they get lucky and sneak in off a waitlist at the end of the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlists are fickle and irregular. There are some people sitting on an acceptance who would prefer to come off waitlist at a "better" or higher priority program. Technically once trafficking day comes in the spring, they only have one acceptance, but technically when they matriculate they'd be listed as multi-acceptances.

This happened to me but reverse. I got an acceptance during the year but was waitlisted from some other schools. I never requested to come off and suddenly in early June I had an offer in my inbox. I ended up not accepting. So what does that make me?

100% apply to medical school
60% ultimately get rejected
20% get a single acceptance
20% get multiple acceptance

Using the @gonnif system, every person can only be counted once. Many (probably most) of those 20% singles and 20% multiples (as well as many of the 60% dings) appeared on one or more wait lists during the application process before receiving their acceptance.

So if what you're asking is this: "Of the 20% in the single-acceptance pool, how many received that acceptance after traffic day?" -- well, that sounds like a very difficult (impossible?) question to answer. It happens, but those are the OMG! cases you hear about.

I was waitlisted at a low yield school where I thought I had a good interview. The school made a whole big song and dance about 30% of the class coming off it. No luck for me. Waitlisted at another with virtually no movement.

When that happened in February first thing I did was make plans to apply DO. Good thing I did as I have 3 DO IIs.

The thing to ask yourself, really, is beyond providing some kind of comfort or consolation prize that you're a competitive applicant... how does this speculation help you?

From what I have seen on SDN, we are pretty rare. My one and only acceptance was off a WL in June... but I was also on multiple waitlists. I was pretty active on SDN during my application year, as well as in the "no acceptances yet" thread. Most users I know of either had multiple acceptances, no acceptances, or at least 1 outright acceptance and 1+ waitlists.

You would be hard pressed to find users who had >1 interview who weren't on at least 1 WL at some point in the cycle.