Off-campus housing near HMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any nice/safe/convenient areas to live in near HMS? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The most popular options are:
1.) Brookline: safe, expensive, homogeneous, and quiet. The Coolidge Corner and Washington Square neighborhoods are a little more lively. Expect to pay at least $1000 if you want your own place, or $650 if you are sharing. It's a 10-20 minute walk or 10 minute bus ride from school.
2.) Jamaica Plain: where all of the students from San Francisco prefer to live. It's lively, diverse, and quickly gentrifying. A few years ago it was largely Latino, but the people who thought Brookline was too chill or too expensive moved there and raised the prices. Expect to pay at least $800 for your own place or $500 to share. Much of it is safe but there are some parts to avoid. It's a 10 minute bus ride from school.
3.) Mission Hill: right next to school with really low rent, but not the safest part of Boston. Also, there's not much to do. Expect to pay $700 for your own place or $400 to share.
4.) Cambridge: many students live there because of the shuttle that runs between the Cambridge campus and the Longwood area. Rents are comparable to Brookline and Jamaica Plain and most parts are quite safe. The shuttle ride at peak hours can take 30 minutes and it runs every 15 miuntes.
5.) Back Bay: ultra chic (bring your black leather and BMW) and expensive. Expect to pay $1200 for your own place or $900 to share. It's along the route of that same shuttle I described earlier.
6.) Brighton/Cleveland Circle: it's where Boston College is located so it has a very homogeneous collegiate atmosphere. The rent is fair and the commute is 30 minutes by train.

Plenty of people live further out but I would avoid it first year if I were you. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks so much teech!! I'm heading to Boston next weekend to start looking at apartments. I really hope to find somewhere safe and walking-distance... we'll see!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, Niki- Howyadoin - made your final decision for Boston. Hey u'll visit NY right!
:cool:

Hey victor! Not final, final... but very close to final. I'm still pretty nervous about it. I will give myself through the weekend and then withdraw on Monday. How are you doing? I'll email you!

Teech: Do you know if there is any decent housing (safe/affordable/walking distance to HMS) in the longwood medical center? Or is the closest area Brookline? Again, thanks for your help!

Ah, ya still Pondering-Dont worry May 15 may help to solve the continous heartache of choosing.
I am doing fine, going to LA in 2wks for a small vacation(only 4days).
I got my financial package from the school and it is awesome!! They truly hooked me up- I'm very glad.
How r things going? write me up
:cool:

Niki-- There isn't really much of a neighborhood in the Longwood area (the blocks surrounding HMS). Brookline is only 2-3 blocks away and the Longwood Towers (at the Longwood T stop) is technically in Brookline. Mission Hill is the neighborhood on one end of Longwood Ave while Brookline is on the other. There is some housing at Vandy (right across from the medical center) and there are apartments on Brookline Ave near The Inn at Children's. However, prices tend to be steep. You can live in Brookline and be safe AND still walk to school in 20 minutes. I can and I live in Brookline (Brookline Village as opposed to other neighborhoods further out). Check out bostonapartments.com and boston.craigslist.org for some listings...

Niki,
I would recommend Harvard Affliated Housing. All of the apt complexes are in Harvard Square. Although it might be too late to apply for them. They are an excellent choice after your first year. I love living in Harvard square. Great place to unwind and forget about medschool problems and stress.

thank you all so much for the help!

Oche- how close is Harvard square housing to HMS? I am planning to live with someone who is not going to Harvard... is it possible to live in affiliated housing if both tenants are not affiliated with Harvard?

umm... harvard square isn't very close to HMS.
during traffic, it'll take you like 40 minutes on the shuttle.

i second the Brookline recommendation. it's only a couple T stops away from Longwood and i know many other students living there so it must be reasonably priced.

"reasonable" in a relative sense, that is.

Ick! I would NOT recommend Harvard-affiliation housing. As vyc notes, it is not close to Longwood and it is expensive. It's basically market rate housing. I've thrown away our info from last year, but the rent isn't a deal and you'd have a long commute even by M2 if you're coming over during rush hour. It can take 45 minutes or more if there's construction anywhere on Mass Ave.

First of all, it rarely takes 40 min to get to HMS from Harvard square using the M2 shuttle. That only occurs if there is a Red sox game or some horrible accident. In addition, there is always the great Express shuttle in the morning which will take 20-25 min average.
As far as Harvard Affilated housing goes, you must be a "Harvard Affliate, ie. harvard grad student or harvard student." to live in the units. It can be expensive. I pay 1560 for a two bedroom apt. I refer you to this site for further info <a href="http://www.hpre.harvard.edu/RRE/gradstudent/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.hpre.harvard.edu/RRE/gradstudent/index.html</a>

I will say Brookline is also a very good choice and there are plenty of HMSers who live there and are very happy.