Offered a dual appointment with a foreign university--to take or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was offered a dual appointment at a South Korean university (a highly ranked private u) that would pay me $30k a year for two years. A chunk of that would need to be spent on research resources (technology, software, etc) and participant compensation, but most of it would be extra salary for me (what the Korean university gets out of this is me listing them as an affiliation on my publications). My (US) university has approved this as long as I use part of the funds to support my research.

Thoughts on the pros/cons of doing this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
When I was a professor in North Korea, Kim Jung Un said to me...

But seriously, any issues with IP rights or international copyrights? IME, maybe ask for an academic work visa during that timeframe so you don't have to apply for that on your own, permanent digital library access (no-brainer for them), and a tour (aka free trip) as part of the package? You definitely want the work visa if you're traveling there. Border security can give you a hard time if you're listed as a professor.

Reactions: 1 users
Its not clear from your post- would you have to actually be in South Korea? If not, the only con I could think of would be if there is some specific bias in academia (or your specific area of study) against such an arrangement whereby authorship affiliation is basically purchased.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the offer! Sounds intriguing, and I imagine you'll continue to receive offers like this, especially post-tenure. One of my grad school professors advocates for viewing the university as a home base from which to engage with other opportunities. If this appeals to you go for it...ah reading ClinicalABA's post I realize I assumed the position would actually take you to Korea for 2 years -- to me that sounds exciting! Your university has approved it, what does your department think?

Daebak! (sorry, I had to)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users