Last edited:

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
People often email when they are "in the area" - perhaps you could word an email similarly? I would check with the office and see if they accept something like that, then tell them that you'll be in the area for the next two weeks. If they accept updates like that, then I don't see how it would be inappropriate.

About the Ads

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
This seems like a good idea but schools have their procedures and often there just isn't a mechanism for inserting a substitute into the schedule because of how the office staff does things like printing schedules, distributing applications for pre-review, and so forth. I've had applicants I was advocating for in this position and I got no where with the dean of admissions because of the logistical hurdles.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I am curious how you decided to be out of the country during the fall interview season for med school?

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hi everyone, I am considering trying something and wondering whether or not it would be appropriate. I am doing research this summer at a lab in a medical school that I have applied to. Unfortunately, I'm leaving the country in 2 weeks and don't have plans to be back in this area again until December.

They have just started interviewing and I have not received an II - would it be rude if I sent their Admissions Office a quick email saying that I work here, will be leaving in 2 weeks, but am willing to fill in for any last-minute interview cancellations if they are planning on interviewing me?

Not sure if this matters, but I also went to undergrad here and they accept a large number of students from the undergrad.

Any thoughts welcome - thanks!
It doesn't work that way...not one bit.

You would definitely earn that rejection.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
People often email when they are "in the area" - perhaps you could word an email similarly? I would check with the office and see if they accept something like that, then tell them that you'll be in the area for the next two weeks. If they accept updates like that, then I don't see how it would be inappropriate.
When we get "in the area" emails with an in the area zip code, it doesn't end well...

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'd just wait for the interview invite, and then at that point ask if it would be possible to schedule a date way out in Dec. Most schools interview until at least Dec, usually even into Jan/Feb
I'd go out on a limb and say many are interviewing through March, with some going through April.

No reason to rush OP; if they want to interview you and the invite comes, just schedule it for a time when you'll be here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: bae2017

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I'm doing a Masters in the UK. Yes, I know, not really prudent but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why did you apply then and not wait?

enchantediris

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2015
I felt like I would be okay, regardless. I have 3 interviews before I leave, I'm planning on coming back in late Fall to squeeze a couple in, and I will be in the US for 6 weeks from December to January (I realize ~one week will be lost due to the holidays). I am also able to come back in late January/early February if necessary. I'm prepared to sacrifice some money and sleep in order to get into the best school I can this cycle. Thank you for the concern, though.
I think that sounds like a lot better of a plan than many others who are applying from a gap year abroad! 3 interviews already puts you at above average and I'm thinking many of your schools are non-rolling anyway? I hope you have fun in the U.K. :)

About the Ads