2+ Year Member
- Mar 12, 2015
It doesn't work that way...not one bit.Hi everyone, I am considering trying something and wondering whether or not it would be appropriate. I am doing research this summer at a lab in a medical school that I have applied to. Unfortunately, I'm leaving the country in 2 weeks and don't have plans to be back in this area again until December.
They have just started interviewing and I have not received an II - would it be rude if I sent their Admissions Office a quick email saying that I work here, will be leaving in 2 weeks, but am willing to fill in for any last-minute interview cancellations if they are planning on interviewing me?
Not sure if this matters, but I also went to undergrad here and they accept a large number of students from the undergrad.
Any thoughts welcome - thanks!
When we get "in the area" emails with an in the area zip code, it doesn't end well...People often email when they are "in the area" - perhaps you could word an email similarly? I would check with the office and see if they accept something like that, then tell them that you'll be in the area for the next two weeks. If they accept updates like that, then I don't see how it would be inappropriate.
I'd go out on a limb and say many are interviewing through March, with some going through April.I'd just wait for the interview invite, and then at that point ask if it would be possible to schedule a date way out in Dec. Most schools interview until at least Dec, usually even into Jan/Feb
I think that sounds like a lot better of a plan than many others who are applying from a gap year abroad! 3 interviews already puts you at above average and I'm thinking many of your schools are non-rolling anyway? I hope you have fun in the U.K.I felt like I would be okay, regardless. I have 3 interviews before I leave, I'm planning on coming back in late Fall to squeeze a couple in, and I will be in the US for 6 weeks from December to January (I realize ~one week will be lost due to the holidays). I am also able to come back in late January/early February if necessary. I'm prepared to sacrifice some money and sleep in order to get into the best school I can this cycle. Thank you for the concern, though.