Offical August 2002 MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderBoy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to check my scores, I freakin out:eek:

How did everyone else do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey-- for all you depressed people: seems to me I remember hearing that the April 2003 MCAT is going to have less ochem and more molecular bio on it, and that they're cutting the verbal section down by a few passages, so things are only looking up for your guys. I'm positive I heard something like this.

Yea that's just great for me, OChem is my really strong area. Molecular is like a wide open field - anything can happen. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
And furthermore....

I'm 35. If you're 20 years old and near suicidal over your MCAT scores, just imagine: you could retake the exam every year for the next 15 years before you even reached my age (okay, I know there's a limit to how many times you can take it). But seriously, stop moping and start coping-- break out those practice exams and start studying now for the April exam. Waiting till next year to apply is really no biggie.

avr you are so right :) thanx for the great advice, I'm 23 and got
7,10,10,Q it angers me because if I'd have gotten an 8 in verbal things wouldn't be so bad one friggin' point you know... could make all the difference... well my applications are in so I'm just going to wait it out....

are you applying this year?

Yeah, I'm applying. I mean at my age it becomes a little more pressing to get the whole process over with because I would like to be practicing before I'm 80. I'm gunning for any UC school that will take me (tough, I know). You know, it took me close to four years to go back and complete my science pre-reqs (I was an English major as an undergrad and have had to work full time). The most important thing I learned during the whole process is that life goes on while you're studying, applying, MCATing, etc. In other words, I learned to enjoy the process, not just the outcome. I socialized, I surfed, I dated, I studied, I volunteered, I did all kinds of things that I liked doing along the way. Just because you're not in med school at the moment doesn't mean life comes to a standstill. And furthermore, you have relatively little work to do in terms of your scores-- you're being waaay too hard on yourself.

avr you are so right.... for the last coupple of months I have put my life on hold.... havn't wanted to go out or do anything until I get into medical school... basically my life 'stopped' and would 'stop' until I got in... but you know thats the wrong attitude. I'm 23, young, and have so much going for me :) I suppose its all a mental attitude and I've strengthened my resolve to change it :love:

thank-you

9V, 13P, N, 11B. Last year I got 8V, 10P, L, 10B so needless to say I'm a very happy girl right now!!!! Good luck to everyone this year!

I just want to say that I am SO impressed with the determination in this thread. For all you guys that are gonna retake, you guys rock! Your motivation shows and med schools will see it too. Don't give up! :)

Best of luck!

Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
I just want to say that I am SO impressed with the determination in this thread. For all you guys that are gonna retake, you guys rock! Your motivation shows and med schools will see it too. Don't give up! :)

Best of luck!
I agree with Foxy. A lot of applicants retake the MCAT. It shows determination and perseverance. Don't give up. It's just another hoop you have to jump through. I know lots of people who are in med school now who had to take the MCAT 2 or 3 times. It's just a test, don't let it define you. Keep your head up peeps! :) PM me if ya need any advice!

I ended up pulling a 10V 11P 11B (32P), which is only 2 points higher than the April 2001 test (9V 11P 10B=30R) but hey, it's better than regressing. I was ultra-confident in my abilities this year so I was somewhat disappointed with the turnout, but I am happy I have all my scores in the double digits now. Maybe I'll actually get into medical school this year. :cool:

11V
8P
9B
Writing Sample S

(My first MCAT writing, btw.)

The Physical Sciences score is actually lower than what it should be, since when I was writing the MCAT, I did an extremely stupid thing. I finished 5 min. early, feeling a bit proud of myself for slugging through it, and decided to go back and check a few problems. So when the proctor told us to put our pencils down, I did so, and sat there contentedly for a moment. Then I glanced down at my paper and realized that - *gasp* - I had forgotten to transfer the last set of problems - whether it was 8 or 18 of them to this day I do not know - that I had completed.

I have done - literally - about a hundred of the fill-in-the-bubble scan sheets. This was nothing new to me. I routinely check and recheck my answer sheets. This was the first time something of this magnitude had ever happened to me. Sure, I had missed one or two bubbles once in a while, but never something so careless.

So I was, shall we say, MAJORLY pissed-off with myself. I even considered voiding my scores at that point and not writing the rest of the test. But I pulled myself together and continued with the Writing portion and Biological Sciences, and forced myself to put it out of my mind as best I could, so as not to hamper my scores too much.

I'm okay with it, though. :-D I know now that I can handle the beast (I actually didn't think the test was that bad as everyone else was painting it to be), and that when I retake it in April, I'll have a better chance of getting an even better score then. Funny thing is, if the PS were only 1 point higher (which I'm sure it is. at least, if I had filled in the rest of the bubbles), then I would have made the cut-offs for the Canadian med schools.

Oh well. No biggie. ;-) I'm 21, in a graduate degree program, and for the first time it has dawned on me that eventually... I will be accepted to medical school. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. I've got a very good chance, and it's just a matter of time (of which I have plenty).

Congratulations to everyone else, and best of luck!! To those of you who are not as satisfied with their marks, don't give up on your dreams. Do what your heart tells you to do, and have faith that it will work out in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got mine:

10V
11PS
R WS
10BS

So a 31R. I was a bit disappointed because I had been getting 32s pretty consistently in Kaplan. But I think that's the overachiever in me talking!

Karen

After debating whether to check or not and consulting with my parents, fellow MCAT takers, I finally checked.

VR 11
PS 13
BS 11
WR O

My previous scores from Aug 2001 were V11, P10, B10, O

I was hoping to do a little better on writing since I had already written essays for those two prompts, but I guess I had a brain fart on test day.

Anyhow, I'm happy...now I can concentrate on my neuroanatomy midterm on thursday. Woohoo!

Originally posted by premed
V 8
P 14
W Q
B 11

Total 33 Q

What do you guys think about my 8 verbal?

not good...marginal. Congrats on your total score though!:)

1st time writing it, pretty happy with my scores:

11 VR
13 PS
R in WS
13 in BS

for a 37R

it's too bad the mcat up here in canada is only used as a cutoff for interviews :rolleyes: whatever, i'm satisfied.

oh, and i'm not applying to any american schools, so these scores are rather useless to me. anyone wanna trade?

:cool:

hey bad! you are the reason why im applying to U of T!! my 30 mcat would normally put me at a no compairson to you in the U.S but U of T looks at only grades and uses mcats as cutoffs! yippeee! however if it ocmes down to me or you.. you konw ur in with that score.. dangit.. but ya i lvoed the no mcat deal, since my gpa is maxed.. anyway congrats on a 37 .. i was only able to attain that a few nights dreaming.. even then i could barely reach taht high.

Wallstreet,

Thanks for the compliments. I was actually pretty ****ing surprised actually when i got my scores.

If you're an American, you may be at a slight disadvantage when applying to canadian schools. You may want to check whether they take foreigners or not. If you're a canadian just disregard.

Something else to keep in mind when applying to toronto is that the GPA requirements are extremely high (it counts for 60% of your assessment). i know that the average entering GPA is 3.84, and that this includes grad students with lower GPAs. However, I know that sometimes people with 4.0s don't even get interviewed, so if you are above 3.75 and have a good essay you should be alright. Good luck.

Ditto about the lack of sleep the night before--I couldn't imagine scoring a 29 when I walked into the test. I almost head-butted my roommate's dog in excitement after I checked my scores on Friday...I'm relieved I still have a chance at this ridiculous rigamarole. Good luck everyone.

Hey bad, im a candian, and U of t was cool cause they dont discrimante as long as u a citizen. Most schools took residents of the province etc. I decided last minute to do U of T because i saw they didnt discrimiate and i love the city and thought what ht ehell. There application is terrible though, that sketch! god they had like 48 places.. and you were supposed to list stuff since u were 16 with names, numbers, addresses.. God. I had like 14 entries, so who knows, im sure there are these overachievers that fill all 48 spots but man that took a long time to do. Oh well. My gpa is a 4.0 at a US school and the way they weight crap there who knows what U of T will give me as a gpa for them. That is why i applied cause my gpa is my best stat on my app so they seem to focus on it. essay sucked too, i did it all this weekend and i was dead after filling it all out. Oh well it was worth a shot. Are u applying all over canada or what? maybe well end up at u of t! great city.. im sure ull be in an echelon way the hell above me with a 37.. i usually cant hang academic wise with someone of your caliber haha but ohw ell i guess if im in im in! ok good luck to you!

dude, you're pretty good for U of T with a 4.0. maybe i'll see ya in april for those interviews. The essay is pretty important though, i've heard. **** it, by then you'll probably have an acceptance at a US school. The autobiographical sketch, yeah I know tons of kids who filled that thing right up. Most of that was just inane stuff though, like "scrubbed toilets at hospital for a week". I've got a couple of good ec's (and then some) so we'll see. i'm only applying to the schools in ontario (-mcmaster cause they're idiots). hope to see ya at the t-dot interview. take her easy.

Okay.. just to make all of you feel better. I am a Californian trying to get into Osteopathic school.. guess what my MCAT scores were?

6V 9PS 8BS Q

That will make all of you feel better.. yes a whopping 23!!! Guess it's time to retake again in august :) Keep smiling.

V: 11
P: 13
W: T
B: 14

T: 38T

Im pretty happy with everything except verbal, but youre not gonna hear me complaining =). Too bad Writing scores dont count for crap.

April:
6V
11P
10B
P

August:
9V
13P
12B
R

So here's how you go about getting a 7 point increase: Take your first MCAT with a fire alarm going off during the verbal for approximately 10 minutes. Completely bomb the verbal. Then spend your summer studying. Go running the day before the August MCAT and get into a minor accident with a child on a bike. This accident should result in 30 stitches in your leg. Spend approximately 4 hours in the ER the nite before the MCAT discussing it with your ER physician as he or she stitches your leg up. Sleep about 5 hours, no more. Then....KILL THE MCAT!!!!
woohoo!!!! Clearly I'm a little excited about how this turned out!!

:) :) :)

April 2001
P

August 2002
P

I was bummed about my bio score decreasing but happy about verbal and overall score. Another fun year of applications!!!!