Offical - U of Kentucky class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nor2themax

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there going to be spending 4 years with me? Let's get to know each other!

Members don't see this ad.

Havent made the final decision yet... but Id say Im leaning toward UK.

I see you have other acceptances. Have you decided on UK?

Yes I've chosen UK for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
I too have been accepted to UK (Dec.) and will be going there in August. I just now signed up with SDN. I am friends with one other person in our class too. Nice to meet you.
Jesse

Whats up, class of 2008.
I will be one of your classmates. I was accepted back in October (Same day as my birthday) and I cannot wait to see my new classmates. After 4 years of engineering I am sick of seeing all guys around me :))) If you see a Turkish Student in August, you will know it is me......

Good luck next year and enjoy this summer!

I grew up in Lexington, great town. When I apply to med school this summer, assuming I get into UK, it is certainly one of my top choices.

However, its hard to justify the out-of-state tuition.

Adrian

I'm off the fence. UK it is. Looking forward to meeting you guys. If I can sell our house in Lville and complete the move to Lex before orientation... Party at the Anderson household. Uh, you guys buy the beer. Maybe some food too :)

tugbug said:
I'm off the fence. UK it is. Looking forward to meeting you guys. If I can sell our house in Lville and complete the move to Lex before orientation... Party at the Anderson household. Uh, you guys buy the beer. Maybe some food too :)

Allright sounds good. Let me know if you need help moving (unloading at the Lexington end, that is). I'll hold you to throwing the party too. :cool:

Name - Nora
Age - 21
Sex - Female
Undergrad - U of Missouri, Classics and Biology
Hobbies - partying, dancing, movies, riding/showing horses
Where will you live - Cedar Run Apartments
Pets - My big dog Maggie and 2 parakeets
Excited to move to Lexington? - YES

Members don't see this ad :)
nor2themax, i think we may have had the same interview day. i believe i sat to your right.[/QUOTE]

Was I a blonde wearing a purple suit :) ?? I was the only girl NOT in black on my day. Hehe... I try to stand out I guess.

Nora

I'm moving July 1st only because my lease here isn't up until then

Name - Lachin
Age - 22
Sex - Male
Undergrad - UK , Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Hobbies - partying, dating hispanic girls ( I am not hispanic)
Where will you live - I own a house in lexington
Pets - Non
MCAt score= 40
GPA 4.0
I also bench press 350 pounds

aydinhatemi said:
Name - Lachin
Age - 22
Sex - Male
Undergrad - UK , Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Hobbies - partying, dating hispanic girls ( I am not hispanic)
Where will you live - I own a house in lexington
Pets - Non
MCAt score= 40
GPA 4.0
I also bench press 350 pounds

;) only 350?

Jdean, thanks for the offer to help. If you could just get all of the heavy stuff... :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. I'm working on a hernia.

name. Jesse
age. 25
sex. M
school. Carleton College/psychology
hobbies. reading, hiking, camping, running, ultimate frisbee, soccer, hanging out
where i will live. Outside of Man O War near Tates Creek (Hartland) --I'm already in lex
pets. a big whiny cat

Can everyone put their emails on here so when I get there this summer I can get ahold of you guys to get together or whatever. Just in case this post gets lost into oblivion. Mine is [email protected]

Any of you out of staters concerned that you are coming to a state labled by AMA as a med-malpractice "crisis" state? We just had a 27.6 million verdict against an OB in Louisville... she is a good doc (did my sons circumcision)

I don't know if any of you heard but UK just finished a new building attacthed to the hospital. Since I work in a lab at UK I was able to tour the facility. It was pretty awesome. Of course it features a lot of state of the art equipment. It's pretty cool that we'll be able to see it up close and even use some of it when we're on rotations. I'm cyked. They actually showed an X-ray video of a heart cathiderization while the iodine solution was being administered on a flat panel monitor over the insturment. I imagine this would normally be exhibited in real time. :wow:

Did you already get and return the med packet (financial aid form, white coat order form, etc...)? Im not sure when any other info is due.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. I turned in all my stuff, but I haven't got any info about how much aid I'll be getting.

I talked to Fin Aid at UK today. They said we wont be getting anything else before orientation. Just thought I would pass that along.

WHAT?! Then how in the hell are we supposed to know if we need to take out additional loans?

Nora

Nor, I'm not sure. My guess is that those of us who are in-state dont have to answer that question... meaning, with instate tuition the projected costs will be covered by the school FA package completely. For out of staters, the situation may be very different - and you may get a packet. Either way, it seems odd not to get ANYTHING giving the details of the aid packet. But, thats what I was told.

Also, I can confirm that persistent begging, even with tears and sob stories, apparently does not increase scholarship chances :( ... :D

Hey to all of you guys who got in UK congrats!
I am trying really hard to get in, I loved it there! I got an interview for the 2004 incoming class, but by the time I interviewed, they were already completely full! Although, I don't think I would have got in anyways. Right now I am going to go into a Master's program in Public Health (moving from Louisville to Lex in August) to try and up my really low science gpa.

Anyways, I wanted to know all of your guys stats.... school, gpa, science gpa, and mcat as well as anything else you might think is helpful. Thanks!!

Hey Annabelle, I sent you a PM with some info.

Thanks for the info. Odd that I got a different story and it seemed wrong that we wouldnt get anything. Maybe I misunderstood.

You can all take this as a 'heads up' not to trust any of my class notes once we meet in August :) ... but I could have told you that myself.

Any of you soon to be UKers remember the "castle" on Versailles road as you come in to Lexington from the west? It burned to the ground last night. :( Too bad. When I was a kid and we would visit lexington I was always pumped to check out the castle.

Yeah, I felt the same way whenever I used to go to soccer games (back in HS) in Versailles. Seeing the castle was definately the highlight. My wife drives to Versailles every Tues and Thurs. for work , but she happened to miss the castle this morning. She heard about the fire just after she had passed.

getcloned said:
So you're going to take notes for me? =)

Sure. I'd like for at least one other person to be counting on my notes... that way I'll have a partner in failure :D

tugbug said:
Sure. I'd like for at least one other person to be counting on my notes... that way I'll have a partner in failure :D

Okay we can just stop right there. I don't like where this conversation is going (talk of failure). Incidentally I don't think any of us will be taking notes that often. My understanding is that most professors give packets or printouts of powerpoint lectures for students to use as notes

JDean said:
Okay we can just stop right there. I don't like where this conversation is going (talk of failure). Incidentally I don't think any of us will be taking notes that often. My understanding is that most professors give packets or printouts of powerpoint lectures for students to use as notes

Nothing wrong with a little self-deprecating humor ;) . I hear the note packets are very complete, except for some teacher named Turco. BTW, Gross and Histo packets will (reportedly) be available in early July. Anyone know what the suggested text books for UK MS1 are?

Another question. UK uses "Blackboard" right? Is there a discussion forum for the class of 2008? If not, anyone know how to get one set up. I'm still able to access the boards for UofL and UCincy, and they are very helpful. It would be nice if UKCOM had one and could send an invite to all incoming students.

Yeah, you're right that UK uses Blackboard. I found the entry to it through their website though it's kind of hard to find (look in the computing section). I remember that U of L allowed access too, which I thought was really nice. I don't think there is any UK class '08 discussion board, but I think student affairs might give a login if we called.
One word of warning, though. I called today to find out about student health insurance and they said they're really busy there planning commencement. They were still quite friendly though :)

Don't know about textbooks, but if you talk to any current student they will tell you to relax before medschool. In other words don't try to study before classes start.

I recieved the financial aid packet on ?Thursday?. Thought I'd update.