Offical - U of Kentucky class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah me too. That's a relief. Don't have to worry about that so much anymore. I'm such a dope that I thought I was only getting half of the budgeted amount and paid no attention to the column headings (fall and spring semesters). Poor Ms. Gilbert that makes the fourth or fifth time I've called her.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. Im sure that wont be the last time she gets a frantic FA question from one of us.

hey class o' 2008!!! how's it going? i just heard about this chat group and thought i would sign on to try and get to know some more of us. my name is emily, and i am a lexington native. i went away for undergrad (st. louis), but have returned due to the lure of rolling green hills and cheaper tuition. no really, i am very excited about starting uk. i work in an ob clinic at the hospital and we have 3rd year med students rotate through every so often - they have all had very positive things to say about the program. kim scott also said that our group is awesome, so that is encouraging. :oops:
jesse (aka jdean) told me that there are mumblings of a class party in the wind...i am interested in hanging out before orientation and meeting people in person. i know a few people from a class this spring, so maybe we could work out an informal gathering of sorts. let me know if anyone wants to organize - i am willing to conspire...
one other thing and then i will stop babbling - jesse heard and i confirmed with student affairs that we have to be cpr certified before starting school. since i let my certification lapse, i was looking at renewing and wanted to see if anyone else needed to do the same. i found one date per month that the bluegrass red cross does the training (july 10 and august 7 were the ones i found), and was going to see if anyone else was in town and wanted to do a group training session. i can contact the red cross people and try to arrange that, but let me know if anyone out there in the void is interested.
ok, 'nuff for now. i am so excited to meet everyone!

EMILY

ps - if anyone is going to be new to the area and wants a driving tour, i would be happy to show you our town!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats up Emily,

Good to hear from you. I think a 2008 class throwdown is a must :), preferably before we have to show up for orientation. I'd suggest my house... but since it is nearly midsummer and I havent even sold the one I'm sitting in here in Louisville... that might be pusing it.

I'll have to check on my CPR cert. I think I have another year. If not I'd like to join one of those classes.

As for the driving tour, in about 3 wks (?hopefully) I'll need a "tour" of all of the Lex houses for sale under $40,000.00. If you could just put together a list, plan out the drive, and get a car big enough for a baby seat... ;). Just kidding.

hey tugbug -
interesting name - are you a boatsman? i couldn't think of anything fun, except for kentucky fried chicken, since my last name is fried (but pronounced like freed).
you have come to the right person, my friend! station wagon - check. real estate listings - check. under 40,000 might be tricky, but i don't know. you may have to look farther out from campus. but my mom and i looked for houses for months - we found the condo that i live in and helped my brother and his wife look for their house, so we are old pros. ok, just forget that i said old, and just focus on the pros. but i can save the real estate sections of the paper for you if you would like.
i was chatting with jesse and nora about the throwdown, as you so eloquently put it, and we were thinking of a gathering on some festive neutral territory. i thought that some cool restaurant with a patio would be nice. atomic cafe, a local caribbean bistro, has a kickin' patio, complete with 2 bars, so that is an interesting prospect. but i do appreciate the offer of the non-existent house - how sweet.
let me know about the cpr thing. i will post info as i get it from the red
cross people.

emily

:) I have no idea what tugbug means... if anything. We've been looking online at LBAR.com - tons of house listings for Lex... not many inside New Circle in our price range though.

"Festive Neutral" sounds good to me. You guys pick the place, buy the beer, and tell me what time to show up. The only problem I see is if we talk enough of our future classmates into coming - We might overpower the average bar. So, if it looks like there might be a real 2008 "crowd" we could all meet up at some place like Jacobson park. Grill some weiners... or, since your name suggests it - deep FRY a turkey (early dissection practice ya know).

Anyway, just a suggestion.

yeah, i thought of jacobson, too. i was thinking sometime in july, so i guess we can see what transpires meantimes, and decide as the date approaches.

did everyone get the email from shirley about the yahoo chat group? has anyone checked it out? i was going to check it out, so i guess we could combine party efforts.

i guess if we dissect a turkey, we'll know who to watch out for come gross time! :D

take it easy campers,
emily

I went to the yahoo chat group, and, I hate to say it but... they are much cooler. I was really intimidated! :eek:

well, since we are all in the same class, maybe they can teach us the path...

of course, there may be some among us, and by that i refer to myself, who cannot be taught - oh well - life goes on.

have a good weekend everyone!

em

Querida Emily,

Hablas espanol, que bueno. Que piensas de tu nivel de conversacion? Tomabas clases de espanol para medicina durante los anos en la universidad? Puedes aprender mas Espanol para medicos tomando clases de comida. En los paises hispanos, Se comen casi todas las partes del cuerpo como en Guatemala se hacen seviche de higado. Espero practicar el idioma contigo cuando lleguemos a agosto. Hasta luego.

J.P.

hola jp -
como supiste que yo hablo espanol? depende del dia, pero por lo general, me siento bastante bien con mi espanol. mi unico problema es que mi espanol es una mezcla de chileno, adonde vivi por un semestre durante la universidad, y mexicano, porque yo trabajo con mexicanos .
nunca estudie espanol medico, pero he estado trabajando como interprete medico en una clinica de obstetricia por los ultimos 2 anos y medio. entonces, se una cantidad moderada del vocabulario medico.
has estudiado en clases de comida? eres latino, o estudiaste el espanol en la escuela? yo he encontrado algunos costumbres deconocidos en mis viajes, entonces no me sorprende del seviche del higado. pero, no sabia de ese ejemplo especifico.
has escuchado del programa de espanol medico en oaxaca entre el primer y el segundo ano de la escuela? yo he hablado con algunas personas y estoy pensando en ir. no se exactamente como va a ser, pero por lo menos es una oportunidad de salir del pais por ur rato.
bueno, escribeme a mi email ([email protected]) si quieres hablar mas. yo tengo varios amigos latinos aqui en lexington y nos gusta salir para bailar salsa. si te gusta, te invito a salir con nosotros. o si solo quieres salir para conocer a la gente latina en lexington y no para bailar, esta bien tambien.

cuidate,
emily

hello all!
i just spoke with shirley in the student affairs office and she confirmed with dr. cheaver that we do NOT have to be cpr certified before starting school in august. we will have to get certified before starting 3rd year, but not now. i think that she may send an email to the class, but i wanted to let you faithful few at this site know in an effort to quell the confusion that i have created. sorry for the mess, but at least it's one less thing to deal with!

have a good one!

emily

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! Just popping in to say hi.
I've been keeping up with the posts, but haven't replied yet.
I can't wait to meet everyone. I hope you don't mind an old woman in the class. :D I was ousted out of the 19-24 age group "more than a year ago" :rolleyes:
As for the picnic/party idea, I think an early get together would be a great stress-free way to meet each other.

ekbutler said:
Hi there! Just popping in to say hi.
I've been keeping up with the posts, but haven't replied yet.
I can't wait to meet everyone. I hope you don't mind an old woman in the class. :D I was ousted out of the 19-24 age group "more than a year ago" :rolleyes:
As for the picnic/party idea, I think an early get together would be a great stress-free way to meet each other.

No worries about that. I think there are a decent amount of non-traditionals in our class. I too would not be welcome in the 19-24 age group. I guess were stuck in the old fart group.

eefried said:
yo he encontrado algunos costumbres deconocidos en mis viajes, entonces no me sorprende del seviche del higado.

Okay I understood all of the spanish posts but this buisness of the body part that is eaten in some countries "seviche del higado". Can somebody give some translation? Or is it too risque to mention in english?

JDean said:
Okay I understood all of the spanish posts but this buisness of the body part that is eaten in some countries "seviche del higado". Can somebody give some translation? Or is it too risque to mention in english?

jesse -
seviche is a traditional soup, often served cold, with a variety of ingredients that i cannot remember at this moment. higado is liver. so there you go. maybe jp can help us out on this one, since i have never experienced it myself.
as to the old woman remark - you have good company! i am 26 myself, and i know that there are a few other people in the class who have been practicing other professions and are returning to school. so, don't worry about it! as long as you nice, we like you just fine!
do people like the idea of a potluck at jacobson in july? we could start a list of things to bring and i could call and reserve a spot. let me know what you think and if we should have shirley send out a class-wide invite, or just keep it to the cool ones who have been checking this site! :laugh:

emily

Hi EKbutler, good to hear from you.

I'm 31... and I have the gray hair to prove it. So, "old" is a relative term apparently ;). Sounds like weve got a lot of 2008ers in their mid 20's. Anyone know if there are any of our classmates in my age range? Any with kids (we have a 9 month old munchkin)? I'd hate to be the only one stuck home changing diapers on a Fri night while you youngsters are out tearing things up!

Jacobson in July sounds great! Sign me up. But, I'm afraid if you just keep it to the "cool ones" who visit this site, I might be in trouble... As my wife likes to point out, "COOL I AINT" :laugh:

EEfried, just a thought. When we sign up to bring food... I vote against any of the cold liver soup you're describing. Maybe its just me tho.

W00t!
I have grey hair too, but I've had those sneaking into my ponytails since I was about 8 years old. A family physical curse among many, unfortunately. Right up there with our big heads and big butts :rolleyes:

Jesse, that is great that you know Gary. He & R were so friendly to me and my husband at that party. As friendly as if they already knew us. They were also incredibly funny to listen to.
People who make me laugh always score brownie points with me. :laugh:

Yeah, that's awesome that you know Gary. He's a wild man, but also a great guy. Next time I see him I'll tell him I "met" you. :D

Emily, I'd be happy to be co-coordinator for J in J. I say we go ahead and pin down a date now (note I'll also post this on the yahoo listserve) since I find these thing tend not to happen unless a date is set. What about July 10th in the midafternoon?
-JD

hey there!
tugbug - i know that we have someone who was a practicing lawyer and decided to goa different route. i have also heard that we have someone who was a dentist and didn't get enough of the medical school classes during dental school. so, i think that you need not fear being a geezer :D and yes, i am not feeling the need to bring the liver soup. if someone wants to, that's fine, but i probably won't indulge.
jesse - would july 17th be ok? i know that that is getting later in the month/summer, but i have an out of town event on the weekend of the 9th, so i would probably not be able to make it for the 10th. let me know if the 17th isn't good, because it may be flexible. i can call jacobson this week and see what they have available for both weekends.

take care,
emily

Actually that probably would not work for me (honeymoon). I suggest we just throw out the two dates and see what works best for most people. Are you going to be back Sunday evening (July 10)? Maybe we could try that since Erin didn't like that either. The other thing is that someone else was talking about having a party at his house later in the summer, and I thought we could try to do something sooner.

Hmmm...Do you mean Saturday or Sunday? :confused:
Saturday, July 10th is not so great for me, but I am free on Sunday , July 11th. :D

p.s. Congrats on the nuptuals, Jesse !!!

Congrats on the wedding. Where are you guys honeymooning?

As far as I know either date works for me, so I wont complicate the planning with my schedule...

If you guys want to have a pre-party party, you can all come to Louisville... I'll be having a yard work/paint the house/clean the basement party most any night for the next 2 weeks.

Emily, you seem well connected there with Admissions. Sounds like (as you said) we have a great class shaping up. Although, MD/JDs make me... nervous :scared: I'm surprised they didnt mention the 31 year old barn builder who was looking for a less challenging career (me) along with the dentist and lawyer :laugh: .

ekbutler said:
Hmmm...Do you mean Saturday or Sunday? :confused:
Saturday, July 10th is not so great for me, but I am free on Sunday , July 11th. :D
Sorry about that. I'm not thinking straight I meant to suggest we could do it on July 11th in the afternoon if that worked better. It's just a suggestion though. I ought to run that by on the yahoo group I just wanted to check with Emily.

Thanks for the congrats y'all! My wife and I will be going to Florida for a week. We'll be visiting orlando and cocoa beach. I just hope I can stand the heat.

We actually were married Feb. 28th, but I had to finish a medschool prereq. so I couldn't take the honeymoon then :(

hey guys -
july 11th would work better for me than the 10th, but jesse i think you are wise in throwing out the dates and see what works for everyone's schedule. i don't want to hold up the festivities, though, so if the 10th works better, i'll make it work!
i am glad that you guys are actually going to take a honeymoon! since none of us will be traveling much for a little while, it's good that you are getting out of dodge for a while.
tugbug - barn builder! very cool! i am glad that we have some variety - it makes things ever so much more interesting. if medicine is less challenging than barn building, i can't even imagine!
ok, there have been a lot of age discussions going on on both sites. it seems that people are divided between young and unmarried or older and married. what about those of us in between - old and unmarried? ok, that didn't sound too good. oh well...

emily

Has anyone else noticed that lately it's been mostly nontraditional students posting on this thread? We even scared off youngin's like Nora, Garrett, and Lachin. Looks like they are afraid of the fogeys. :D

hey jesse -
check the yahoo site - i posted a message about the jacobson gathering and am too lazy to retype it! i am going out of town on friday the 11th, and will be back on the 19th (swingin' on main), so you can leave a message on my home phone and let me know what's up with the plans.

take it easy,
emily

There are some good bands at The Dame (downtown Lex) on weekends. Also on Tuesdays (7 pm) I've been going to Jazz in Ecton Park off of Turkey Foot Road. Of course just driving out roads like Leestown and Paris Pike can be nice on a sunny afternoon. There's also hiking at Raven Run or McConnel Springs.
For the rest I'll refer you to http://www.visitlex.com/
One thing I've heard is fun is visiting The Woodford Reserve Bourbon distillery.

Hope you find something fun to do.

Hey guys, how was the cookout? I was in Far Far Western KY and unable to attend :(.

In the newspaper here there was a wedding announcement with a classmate of ours... last name Luckett. So, I at least know what two of us look like.

One other thing, my wife and I sold our house in Louisville (at long last) and have stepped up our efforts to find a house to buy in Lexington. We were taking our time because we had a house that we had been told all summer would be available for us to rent for "as long as we needed it..." We found out last night that the house was NOT going to be available. So, if any of you know of temporary rental arrangements and/or a really good deal on a house, speak up.... puhlease.

The cookout went really well. Everyone seems to be really laid back. We had a little more than 30 people (counting spouses).
Congratulations on selling your house. I would think you have the hard part over. I'm afraid I can't help you with anything new. You already know the websites and Ms. Tipton's e-mails. That's all I can think of. Good luck

Did any of you guys apply ED at Kentucky ?