1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Office Hours with Jack Westin

Discussion in 'CARS Strategy Course with Jack Westin (Sponsored)' started by Jack Westin, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Jack Westin

Jack Westin CARS Instructor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Silver Donor Bronze Donor Exhibitor 5+ Year Member

SDN
    Sponsor
    SDN
    Exhibitor
    Jack Westin students can attend Office Hours weekly. Office Hours is a session held at at varying times each week. All current and previous students can attend office hours for 10 weeks from the date of their first session. It's held weekly and the session is two hours in length.

Office hours plays an important role in student's understanding of the principles. I recommend that you join office hours if you have the time, however, they are not necessary or mandatory.

If you have any specific questions about office hours, please post below.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. remedy23

remedy23 2+ Year Member

What happens in office hours? Do students ask questions, and observe your answers to other students questions? Do you do take up homework?

3. Jack Westin

Jack Westin CARS Instructor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Silver Donor Bronze Donor Exhibitor 5+ Year Member

SDN
    Sponsor
    SDN
    Exhibitor
    Hi @remedy23 in office hours students can ask questions about the lessons or homework assigned. We also go through passages that I assigned for homework. Some of the homework is taken up but the student is responsible for keeping up with the homework every week. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

4. tavokeri9

tavokeri9 Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So if a student took your class a long time ago (like a year ago), can they still attend your office hours for free now and continue for 10 weeks total to refresh on the MCAT CARS session? I'm a little confused about the bolded part…

5. Jack Westin

SDN
    Sponsor
    SDN
    Exhibitor
    @tavokeri9 if you sign up for the course that starts on March 18 for example, you can attend office hours for 10 weeks from March 18. That means till May 27. This basically means you can attend office hours for another 4 weeks after your course finishes (each course is 6 weeks long).

Many students take the course a year before their MCAT and master CARS within 6-10 weeks but then request to attend office hours a couple of times prior to their exam date. I am flexible with students attending office hours when they need it - as long as they keep practicing and really try to master the skills from day one.

My goal is to make sure my students master CARS as soon as possible. I don't want students who enroll and put in little effort. I don't allow students to attend office hours after 10 weeks if they do not attend classes, keep up with the course work, and try their best to improve.

6. remedy23

remedy23 2+ Year Member

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response. If a student misses a class, are they able to attend another one? For example, I noticed classes start on April 21, but I wouldn't be able to make this class because of a conflicting exam at the exact same time. What are the future class schedules like?

If not, is there another set of 6 sessions that will start in the last week of April / first week of May (when most people will be done their exams)?

7. Jack Westin

SDN
    Sponsor
    SDN
    Exhibitor
    Hi @remedy23

If a student misses a class session, they can attend office hours throughout the week to learn what they missed or to ask specific questions. The class sessions build on each other. While it's vital that you attend all 6 sessions, I make sure to reinforce the concepts we learned in prior sessions in the next one. I am a big believer in keeping things simple and building on what you learn. If you can learn a concept at it's simplest form, you'll be better prepared to look at more advanced cases.

In regards to future course schedules: there will be new courses each month of the summer, I expect we will have a new course sometime mid to late May.