Office of Recruitment & Multicultural Affairs letter from Harvard? Do I have a realistic shot of getting into a top 20 program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkey.fever

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I recently received an email from Harvard inviting me to a webinar to discuss the application process and encouraging me to consider applying to Harvard's medical school. At first I was excited to see the email, but I began thinking that this was more than likely being sent to tons of students in an effort to get more money during the application cycle. This got me thinking... do I even have a realistic chance of getting into a prestigious program this coming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You seem competitive for the likes of Harvard and Stanford. MCAT is a bit on the low side but you make up for that with the 4.0 and the somewhat unique story. Without knowing anything else about your application, I’d apply to 10 top 20 schools, 10 midtiers, and your state schools. If you are URM, replace five or six midtiers with top 20s.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats on the interest from Harvard! Go for T20s. There's no harm in doing so and your resume is in the right ball park.

How far did you get on American Idol?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which ethnic group do you represent? You have a great shot at T20’s, but that shot is significantly higher if you are AA, Hispanic, Native American, etc (I only ask because you mentioned some kind of multicultural letter).

I think the American Idol deal is a HUGE plus. It will set you apart from other applicants, and many of your interviewers will ask you about it. They want to see you are a person.

Last edited: