officer/enlisted marriage at usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teenie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my acceptance to USUHS and am now faced with a new dilemma. My husband is enlisted AD Navy and is up for sea duty. Is it possible for the school to call his detailer and get him a billet in Bethesda? Can anyone let me know if they have dealt with this issue before??

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my acceptance to USUHS and am now faced with a new dilemma. My husband is enlisted AD Navy and is up for sea duty. Is it possible for the school to call his detailer and get him a billet in Bethesda? Can anyone let me know if they have dealt with this issue before??

Sweet, congrats! Glad to see there's movement.

He's up for sea duty, meaning he's coming off of shore duty? No, then I doubt USUHS could do anything for him, although it wouldn't hurt to ask. What's his rate? If he's in a rate that requires lots of sea duty for promotion--say like a BM, or a sonar tech--then he'd want to go out to sea, b/c doing back-to-back shore tours may hurt him come board time, especially if he's shooting for Chief. If he's in a rate that doesn't have many sea-going billets, then doing back-to-back shore tours is fine (the norm). If his rate falls in line with work at USUHS or the hospital (like an HM obviously, or even a PS, or YN), then he could possibly get a billet there. If his rate is something not medically or admin related, I'm sure he could still find a shore billet somewhere in the DC metro area . . . . but again, just keep in mind, if he in a "sea-going" rate and he tries to dodge out of sea tour, that could really hurt him come promotion time. Good luck!

I'm going to try not to be mean here, but it may come off that way. If he is up for his sea duty then it's time to go to sea. USUHS has no pull over detailing billets and that is something that he needs to work out with his detailer. Possibly there is a "sea billet" in the DC area that he could get, I have no clue. Don't count on the "my wife is a medical student at USUHS" card getting much sympathy though. Hopefully it will work out, there's always Norfolk which is about three hours away, or maybe some random billet at the Naval Academy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that it sounds absurd. I never would have even considered it but Dr. Calloway said that it was possible and that she would help us to find a billet. I was just hoping that there was someone who may have dealt with this before and may have some advice.

And thanks for the congrats!! I hope to see you there in the fall Drmetal!!

I know that it sounds absurd. I never would have even considered it but Dr. Calloway said that it was possible and that she would help us to find a billet. I was just hoping that there was someone who may have dealt with this before and may have some advice.

And thanks for the congrats!! I hope to see you there in the fall Drmetal!!

I'm not certain who Dr. Calloway is...but as a former USUHS grad...I would be very cautious in believing any promises of co-location. USUHS is a training billet and detailers know they have no obligation to keep dual active duty co-located when one is in training. And...given that you won't have orders until later...your husband probably will already have his orders in hand.

I'm not certain who Dr. Calloway is...but as a former USUHS grad...I would be very cautious in believing any promises of co-location. USUHS is a training billet and detailers know they have no obligation to keep dual active duty co-located when one is in training. And...given that you won't have orders until later...your husband probably will already have his orders in hand.

Dr. Calloway is the dean of admissions at USUHS. She didn't say that it was definite, but she said that she would look for billets for my husband because he has some NECS that would allow him to work there. I guess only time will tell though.