OFFICIAL: 2003 Duke countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by relatively prime
So I guess if the rest of us who interviewed early don't hear by tomorrow we can assume the worst...?

:( I'm getting really freaked out now.

Members don't see this ad.

Let's try not to freak out too much. Remeber that have have very little information from the admissions office, most of our assumptions are based on what somebody heard or thinks. For all we know there are 5 rounds of letters being sent out. We can waste time worrying our little heads about the possible implications of not recieving a letter yesterday or we can be patient and see how things work out over the course of the next few days (I'd probally choose option #1 if I hadn't interviewed so late).

I hope this helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by siempre595
same here....

I LOVE your avatar!!! It looks like me waiting by the mailbox! LOL

Nothing in the mail once again. I'm officially assuming the worst now. Man, this sucks....the only school I was interested in attending.....

Originally posted by ccCrazie
....the only school I was interested in attending.....

i wouldn't depair yet. who knows how the mailings went. i am going to wait a few days before i start worrying.

but is duke really the ONLY school you are interested in attending? there are a lot of great schools out there.

I know there are a lot of great schools out there, and I'm still waiting on Harvard, UPenn, and Yale, but I really don't care at all about any of them. They are all a distant second to duke in my personal rankings. Maybe I'm just closed-minded but I've had my heart set on duke for a long time. Maybe there's still a shred of hope left but I'm still feeling pretty defeated.

I know there are a lot of great schools out there, and I'm still waiting on Harvard, UPenn, and Yale, but I really don't care at all about any of them. They are all a distant second to duke in my personal rankings. Maybe I'm just closed-minded but I've had my heart set on duke for a long time. Maybe there's still a shred of hope left but I'm still feeling pretty defeated.

ccCrazie,

Since you love Duke so much, did you write a letter of intent to them? Don't know how effective that would be. I wrote to my top choice committing myself but haven't heard back.

koolkao

Yeah I wrote them a letter of intent the end of december and let them know that I interviewed at all those places and that duke was my top choice and I would definitely attend if accepted. I guess it may still work out but considering how many people have heard good news from them, it sure doesn't look like good news is coming this round of letters. Thanks for the support though. Guess I'll just keep hoping that my letter is lost in the mail. Hey, it happened when I applied to duke undergrad. Didn't get my letter until 3 weeks later. At least they will let you know over the phone though.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted into Duke.

The graduate/professional student housing is so expensive (7.6k for an efficiency!), if anyone finds anything cheaper, please post. There's also off campus housing, but I haven't called Duke Community Housing services yet.

Originally posted by Kovox
Congrats to everyone who got accepted into Duke.

The graduate/professional student housing is so expensive (7.6k for an efficiency!), if anyone finds anything cheaper, please post. There's also off campus housing, but I haven't called Duke Community Housing services yet.

That's only $633/month, which is not bad compared to Boston or NYC. But you can find cheaper housing very close to the hospital, even cheaper if you get a roommate. There are several neighborhoods nearby with houses for rent, too. I would call Duke about housing, but if you have other questions, e.g., is this a good neighborhood, is this close, etc, PM me. Congratulations!

I recieved an acceptance today (via big envelope, not phone). I'm in Illinois, if that helps anyone.

CONGRATS TO ALL WHO GOT IN!!!

Were all the letters postmarked on the same-day? When were your letters postmarked?

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging from last year's countdown... it took a few days for letters to get to everyone (acceptances and all)... do I don't think any of us should freak out until Monday.

I got no love from the postman today, but my cell phone brought good news from JHU (bite me, U Chicago!). Yipee!

It would be nice to have Duke as an option (in-state residents get some tuition knocked off), but I officially am no longer stressing about med school. :D

Congrats to all those accepted! Question though: Were your online status pages updated??????? Also, those waitlisted/rejected... have you found out anything get?

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
That's only $633/month, which is not bad compared to Boston or NYC. But you can find cheaper housing very close to the hospital, even cheaper if you get a roommate. There are several neighborhoods nearby with houses for rent, too. I would call Duke about housing, but if you have other questions, e.g., is this a good neighborhood, is this close, etc, PM me. Congratulations!

Thanks VienneseWaltz but I am withdrawing from Duke Med. I just got accepted into my First Choice today

:clap:

Originally posted by Kovox
Thanks VienneseWaltz but I am withdrawing from Duke Med. I just got accepted into my First Choice today

:clap:

Yea, Kovox! :clap: Congratulations! Where are you going?

Well, from the looks of the last few posts on the Harvard Countdown thread,
it looks like Kovox is headed for Harvard.

Congrats man!@

Yeah, very awesome!

Does anyone know if when you get accepted to duke, the online status page is updated?????
thanks!

Yo kreno, they don't update the status page.

that blows! :(

but thanks for answering... :) :) :)

the notifications have reached michigan. :)

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
the notifications have reached michigan. :)

Just today? And was it an acceptance? Has anyone in Ohio heard?

Hello All,

Congrats to those of you who are in! Good luck to you all! Just a note to say, I am really enjoying it here at Duke. Make no mistake, first year is tough, but definitely worth it! Feel free to PM me with questions, etc. Oh, and before I forget, I got into duke off the waitlist, so if you have any questions about that fire away. I didn't think i would get in, since they didn't accept many off the list the year before. I have found at least 5 other classmates who have gotten in off the list (and obviously, not everyone who was offered a spot came). We are talking at least 6 percent of my class. Lol.

Good luck!

Bebe2

I interviewed in October and still haven't heard anything. Has anyone else who interviewed early not heard? Has anyone been rejected or waitlisted post-interview yet?

I interviewed Oct. 14, haven't heard jack ...

I can just hear them in the admissions office now: "Hey, we have decisions on KBCoch, relatively prime, and VienneseWaltz--should we send them out?" "Nah! Let's screw with them some more! Mwuhahahahaha!"

:p

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
I can just hear them in the admissions office now: "Hey, we have decisions on KBCoch, relatively prime, and VienneseWaltz--should we send them out?" "Nah! Let's screw with them some more! Mwuhahahahaha!"

:p

No... I bet it was more like this, an evil member of the adcom was like "Oh my god! I just thought of a great new way to torture applicants! Let's send decisions out in batches of acceptances, waitlists, and rejections... so that those who don't hear right away will wait in agony for a week or more wondering if they are rejected or just have slow mail service. Oh! and then we'll call some of the accepted applicants but not all of them! mwuhahahahahaha!"

j/k I loved Duke... they were really nice... I'm sure there's some reason they're doing things this way. :confused:

hahah, cracking up over here... :laugh:

I interviewed in mid October too and haven't heard a peep. Agony doesn't even begin to describe it. Originally I thought the first batch was for everyone who interviewed before mid-February or so, but now I'm praying that it's not. I wish they notified everyone, acceptance or rejection (or waitlist), at the same time. Good luck to you all. Think there's still hope?

I also had a mid-October interview and I haven't heard anything either! Has anyone who interviewed in October heard anything yet?

I interviewed in early november and haven't heard today again.....anyone know what is going on???:mad:

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted! And to those of you who haven't heard anything yet, don't despair! Last year Duke did their mailings in two separate segments, and supposedly acceptances went out in both batches. In addition, there was no obvious correlation between when you interviewed and which batch your letter ended up in.

I actually got waitlisted, and Duke was my absolute first choice. To make a long story short, after writing many letters and waiting anxiously, I got in at the beginning of July! So now I'm here, and absolutely loving every minute of it!

Let me know if you have any questions about Duke, and to those of you who've been accepted, I look forward to meeting you on 2nd look weekend!!!

I interviewed in early December and haven't heard anything in DC

I interviewed early November, still haven't received anything in the MD area.

Nothing here in MD again, officially expecting the worse case scenario! Doh!!:eek:

Originally posted by relatively prime
Just today? And was it an acceptance? Has anyone in Ohio heard?

it was good news. i interviewed in the beginning of october.
:)

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
it was good news. i interviewed in the beginning of october.
:)

You are such a good monkey, GoodMonkey. Congrats:clap:

Now are you going to pick Duke over UMich?

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
You are such a good monkey, GoodMonkey. Congrats:clap:

Now are you going to pick Duke over UMich?

dr o - i think i'm choosing michigan. i have to weigh some options, but if i do, i'll be withdrawing from duke this week, i believe. here's to hoping one of the hard-core duke hopefuls on this thread gets my spot. :) i'm still waiting on one school, but if i get no love there, i'll probably be back in ann arbor in the fall.

Welp, as of this morning (but not last night, 'cuz i checked), my duke online status page says my application is "complete" ... whatever that means...

stress!

I'm afraid it doesn't mean much, kreno. My app has been "complete" since Oct. 25. I don't know if that meant they decided one way or the other or if it just means that my interviewers turned in their evaluations by then. I'm guessing the latter. When did you interview?

Another day, another empty mailbox. I don't understand why Duke can't do it like Harvard where everyone who interviewed had their letter mailed at the same time so everyone pretty much knows at the same time. This "no news is most likely bad news" stuff is just cruel.

Another day, another empty mailbox. I don't understand why Duke can't do it like Harvard where everyone who interviewed had their letter mailed at the same time so everyone pretty much knows at the same time. This "no news is most likely bad news" stuff is just cruel.

I guess it's better than sending rejections first (if yours got delayed, then you would be expecting an acceptance), but I agree, it's better to send everything out at the same time.

So no one's gotten bad news from Duke yet?

Originally posted by kreno
Welp, as of this morning (but not last night, 'cuz i checked), my duke online status page says my application is "complete" ... whatever that means...

stress!

At least yours says something!! Mine doesn't say anything! You are talking about that little box on the front page with a picture of a young woman and a little kid... with the words "Application Status:" right? Mine's blank... yours has something in it?

It's final now... Duke has the cruelest method of informing applicants... hands down.

RP, Look at your "history," it should say application process complete. Mine said that about a week after my interview back in october. Nothing changed since even though I check the website 5 times a day because I'm pathetic. Has anyone heard anything new or called the admissions office to find out anything? I'm trying to hold out a small bit of hope but I feel like I'm just kidding myself sinc e I haven't heard anything yet.

RP, Look at your "history," it should say application process complete. Mine said that about a week after my interview back in october. Nothing changed since even though I check the website 5 times a day because I'm pathetic. Has anyone heard anything new or called the admissions office to find out anything? I'm trying to hold out a small bit of hope but I feel like I'm just kidding myself sinc e I haven't heard anything yet.

Yeah... that part says "ap complete" but there's nothing in that little box where my interview invitation was... anyone have anything in that box?

This is very strange with some people receiving letters and some not... I don't think they sent all of the letters at once. Has anyone called the admissions office? You don't need to give them your name so there is no reason to be shy and passive when trying to see when and what letters were sent. Don't settle for ambiguous answers... I would be pissed right now but thank god I was too lazy to fill out the dook secondary...

It's not over yet :clap: :clap:

I called Duke and they said they were "definitely" sending out more acceptances this week! And it's not by interview date because the people on SDN who have heard had various interview dates.

So Duke isn't as cruel as we (or I) thought!!

WOo hoo! There's still hope!

Well that gives me some hope. Maybe they just accepted some superstars early? I hope these upcoming acceptances aren't 90% for interviews in the last two weeks of February. I have so many thoughts and questions, my head could explode. Definitely the cruelest notification. But I would be willing to forgive all of it if they would just send me a big fat envelope with the word "Congratulations" in it. Only time will tell. Good luck to everyone still waiting.