OFFICIAL: 2003 UPenn countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... we need some NEW countdowns I think. So since UPenn is meant to tell people the first week of March.... I think the time has come.

My interview didn't go all that well so I'm not too hopeful... but it would still be nice to finally have that rejection letter in hand. ;)

How about everyone else? who all's waiting? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know--I kind of like the fantasy ... I don't feel really good about either of my interviews, either. I'm in knots over it ... And Penn is one of my top 2 choices.

yeah... it's one of my top 2 choices too

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno - I feel ok about my interviews, but if I remember correctly they sort of condense the basic sciences a little bit. As a non-science major I'm not sure I want that stress. But they do give merit scholarships - if Hell froze over and I actually got one, that would make me reconsider.

What really impresses me about UPenn as a university is that all of its graduate schools are in the top ten... it's Law school, it's business school, it's med school... that's really impressive to me. I think Harvard might be the only other school that can claim this.

Wow,I didn't feel too great about my factulty interview either, although I can never really tell... if you don't mind me asking, who did you guys interview with?

Dude, if I get in, I am SO going...

cheers,

Tom

i applied there md/phd - so different factors are in consideration, but the med school part really impressed me. they really seemed to have a smooth operation going on. what really stood out was that they didn't seem at all pretentious, especially when they are just the type of place that can be. good luck to you guys - i think there is decent waitlist movement from the 1st and part of second tiers occasionally if it comes to that.

from what i was told at the interview, from the admissions lady, the interview does not count as much as other schools. it's more of an informational thing. But who knows?

there are lots of schools that have top 10 depts in almost everything. uc berkeley comes to mind; most of their depts are top 5. yale is another. as well as columbia. and umich.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
there are lots of schools that have top 10 depts in almost everything. uc berkeley comes to mind; most of their depts are top 5. yale is another. as well as columbia. and umich.

ALMOST being the key world here... yes, a lot of schools have more than one grad school in the top tell... but as far as I know only UPenn and Harvard have ~ALL~ (not just most... or almost all) of their grad schools in the top ten.

tomjr--my faculty interviewer was Dr. Dabrowski. Student was Ravi. Both really cool guys. The f'ing up was my fault ...

Originally posted by relatively prime
ALMOST being the key world here... yes, a lot of schools have more than one grad school in the top tell... but as far as I know only UPenn and Harvard have ~ALL~ (not just most... or almost all) of their grad schools in the top ten.

ok not that it matters or anything, but where are the list of grad programs and rankings for all of them? usnews? which grad programs are you looking at? just the basics like law/med/business/eng? or all the phd programs too?

if it's the first four, umich and berkeley is top 10 in all of them. of course berkeley doesn't have a med school, but that's cuz there's ucsf :)

anyway, why is that impressive? you go to medical school, not law/bus/eng. maybe if you are looking for potential mates :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at USNews. UMich just got lucky this year. I didn't notice that about Berkley though... that's cool... but like you said, it doesn't have a med school.

I just think it's cool that a school would be so good in everything. I mean... it's not THAT important. It wouldn't be a major factor in any decision I'd have to make.... I just think it's cool. :cool:

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
tomjr--my faculty interviewer was Dr. Dabrowski. Student was Ravi. Both really cool guys. The f'ing up was my fault ...

hey viennese,

i had dabrowski too, and i had definitely had one of my worse interviews. He's quite a riot, if you can connect with his outrageous humor.

How necessary does everyone think sending updates to UPenn is? Just wondering... I never sent any.

i think berkeley has many more top programs than penn. in terms of professional schools, they are about equal. when you include all graduate schools (including engineering, all biological science and all chemical sciences) berkeley pretty much runs the universe. plus if you're into name, which you shouldn't be, penn really doesn't have one. except of course, if you live inside pennsylvania. i hate berkeley with all my might, hate it, hate it, but you just can't knock it!

UPenn is a phenomenal university. I hope to apply early decision to UPenn next year. The program is phenomenal and I love the fluidity. Does anyone know someone who applied early decision to UPenn? If so, what was the process like? I know UPenn just recently started an early decision program. Good luck to all who applied and I hope you all get in! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

UPenn definitely has a big name among the people who you'd care to impress...

I don't know anything about Berkley, but from USnews and what you've said... sounds like it kicks arse.

About UPDATE LETTERS... I sent one out to all my schools... but I don't know how much they matter. I think they matter the most if you've already been accepted to somewhere good or somewhere in your area because schools might think you're happy with the school you've gotten into and have just forgotten about them. But otherwise... I just don't think they do much... unless you have something major to add to your ap.

mystic_b--

My sense of humor is kind of kooky, so we connected okay, but I think I said something stupid at the end ... more worried about something stupid I said (god, what is it with me and stupidity in interviews?) in my student interview ...

I sent an update to my schools, more to show an interest than anything else. I don't know if it mattered anywhere, but I might have gotten my Hopkins interview because of it ... In my experience with similar situations, it can be surprising how much bothering to write something can impress people. Certainly can't hurt.

No, wait! If you write an update, you might get in instead of me! No! Updates bad! Very bad!

OK, time to lay off the sugar ... Seriously, good luck. :)

Originally posted by Milhouse Van Houten
when you include all graduate schools (including engineering, all biological science and all chemical sciences) berkeley pretty much runs the universe.
true. when i found out about berkeley's graduate programs a few years ago, i was blown away. i knew the undergrad school was great, but it was amazing that one school could be so highly regarded in so many different departments.

penn is good too, but they didn't give me an interview so i don't like them that much :)

So... we need some NEW countdowns I think. So since UPenn is meant to tell people the first week of March.... I think the time has come.

My interview didn't go all that well so I'm not too hopeful... but it would still be nice to finally have that rejection letter in hand. ;)

How about everyone else? who all's waiting? :)

where's this first week of march thing coming from?

So March 1 is the big day from my top choice eh?

I felt that I had my best interviews at Penn, which of course means I didn't get in.:laugh:

Oh well, what are ya going to do?

Originally posted by Dr.Tong
where's this first week of march thing coming from?

I called them and asked. They said that they would be mailing out the decisions sometime during the first week of March.

I doubt anyone (not MD/PhD) will hear one March 1... or even before March 8.

ahhhhh.

I am totally anxiously waiting for the UPenn decisions ....

Out of all the top schools, I definitely liked UPenn the best because:

(1) Awesome curriculum. I really like that you get to the wards a little earlier, but it is not quite as intense as cramming it all into one year (like Duke). And you get lots of time to do research/study for boards. And you get to do your clinical year before step 1 -- which i hear really helps especially since the boards are getting more clinically relevant. And have a lot more clinical exposure befor eyou have to pick your residency (god knows I am not themost decisive person so I think this will really help).

(2) Its campus is right on the univeristy campus, so you are really a part of the school rather than being an isolated med school.

(3) Everyone (students/faculty/administrators) seemed so nice.

(4) It is such an awesome school but didn't seem (from either the administrators or students) to be quite as high on itself as other top schools.

(5) I (contrary to others) really loved Philly. It is a CHEAP and awesome city. Seems like a great place to spend 4 years when you are going to be poor.

from what i was told at the interview, from the admissions lady, the interview does not count as much as other schools. it's more of an informational thing. But who knows?

REALLY??? Anyone else hear this?

I doubt anyone (not MD/PhD) will hear one March 1... or even before March 8.

The MD/PhD day is March 10. From what I gather, Penn is one of the few schools that actually does what they say and doesn't notify anyone until that day. Unlike certain other schools (Baylor and Duke just to name two, there's more) who say there's a strict notification date, but are really letting certain applicants know. Penn can probably do this because they are a top MD/PhD program (only behind Harvard and UCSF in many people's minds).

My student interviewer asked some hardball questions, although my faculty interviewer didn't. I kind of doubt they would attempt to make you squirm if your response didn't count for much. But that's just IMHO.

mystic_b--

My sense of humor is kind of kooky, so we connected okay, but I think I said something stupid at the end ... more worried about something stupid I said (god, what is it with me and stupidity in interviews?) in my student interview ...

I sent an update to my schools, more to show an interest than anything else. I don't know if it mattered anywhere, but I might have gotten my Hopkins interview because of it ... In my experience with similar situations, it can be surprising how much bothering to write something can impress people. Certainly can't hurt.

No, wait! If you write an update, you might get in instead of me! No! Updates bad! Very bad!

OK, time to lay off the sugar ... Seriously, good luck. :)

Haha, thanks for the laughs, Viennese. After I asked what people thought of writing updates, I thought, hmmm, people might not say what they really think because we're still all waiting for decisions, which is ok, but I'm just wondering what people think, not that it's going to make me send something in. I just had this impression that we were really supposed to send stuff in to UPenn, even more than at other schools, because they told us our thank you notes went straight into our files.

Ah, I didn't know your thank-yous went to your file. Glad I sent them promptly ... I sent an update in Dec. when my grades became available, because I did have a few more significant/relevant things to report (schedule change, etc). I told them that I had had more interviews since Penn but that my preferences hadn't changed--Penn was still my first choice (which I told them in my interview). So, I say it can't hurt and will probably help.

AAaaaa.... my countdown is drowning in the sea of Yale countdowns and risks going to the dark, cold, SECOND PAGE!

Bump :D

UPenn said that the notification is going to be via snail mail, but I'm just wondering if they might put it up in the status website as well. That would be nice...

Good luck everyone! :clap:

The MD/PhD day is March 10. From what I gather, Penn is one of the few schools that actually does what they say and doesn't notify anyone until that day. Unlike certain other schools (Baylor and Duke just to name two, there's more) who say there's a strict notification date, but are really letting certain applicants know. Penn can probably do this because they are a top MD/PhD program (only behind Harvard and UCSF in many people's minds).

they apparently do notify some mstp applicants early (unofficially). i strongly disagree that their mstp is after harvard/ucsf - i know there wasn't a strict ranking implied in your post, but still... great med school though.

heh - not me this time - check out the mstp accept thread.

Originally posted by jalan2
UPenn said that the notification is going to be via snail mail, but I'm just wondering if they might put it up in the status website as well. That would be nice...

When I interviewed (late October), they said we would get an e-mail telling us to check our status online, followed by a letter. When did they tell you this? I am wondering if they seem to have changed their minds, like Duke.

I strongly disagree. The interview is one of the most important aspects of your application at Penn.

Penn is all about how well rounded you are and what things outside of medicine you've done.

It's a top 5 school. Everyone's got the MCAT scores, everyone's got the research, many have clinical experience. Penn has more than enough stellar applicants to choose from. That's why they focus on the extras.

berkeley pretty much runs the universe. plus if you're into name, which you shouldn't be, penn really doesn't have one. except of course, if you live inside pennsylvania.

Penn doesn't have a name!? It was the FIRST MEDICAL SCHOOL IN THE UNITED STATES! It's got an impeccable reputation.

Originally posted by DrJ2B
UPenn is a phenomenal university. I hope to apply early decision to UPenn next year. The program is phenomenal and I love the fluidity. Does anyone know someone who applied early decision to UPenn? If so, what was the process like? I know UPenn just recently started an early decision program. Good luck to all who applied and I hope you all get in! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Penn doesn't have early decision. It makes ALL of its decisions on the same day.

Ah, I didn't know your thank-yous went to your file. Glad I sent them promptly ...
The student interviewer ones don't. I'm not sure about the faculty ones.

Yes they will. With any luck you'll find out from there first.

plus if you're into name, which you shouldn't be, penn really doesn't have one. except of course, if you live inside pennsylvania.

1. Who are you to say whether someone should be into name or not? If name is important to you, so be it and good luck. One can also argue that people interested in academic medicine SHOULD be into name, where it is considerably more important than for people who just want to go into private practice.

2. Penn doesn't have a name! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by UCLA2000
I strongly disagree. The interview is one of the most important aspects of your application at Penn.

Penn is all about how well rounded you are and what things outside of medicine you've done.

It's a top 5 school. Everyone's got the MCAT scores, everyone's got the research, many have clinical experience. Penn has more than enough stellar applicants to choose from. That's why they focus on the extras.

While I'm sure it's true that UPenn wants a well rounded applicant, I don't think the interview matters a lot. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for interviews to weigh a lot... I mean, you only have 30minutes, sometimes less, and several times my interview has been cut short or interrupted with a page to the interviewer. Student interviewers often aren't all that good at interviewing and ask you wierd questions, or just get off talking to you casually about some topic that has nothing to do with your application.

At Duke and Yale I was flat out told that interviews don't matter so much... and at WashU my interviewer strongly implied it to me. I don't see why UPenn would be much different.

I've come to the conclusion that a really awesome interview will help you... and a really horrible interview might hurt you... but otherwise, it doesn't do anything.

I'm a Penn 4th year. I thought I bombed my faculty interview - felt like I had totally put my foot in my mouth. But I came in off the waitlist (like a HUGE portion of my class), and I think that the "update" letter I sent after graduating made a difference.

I'm also student interviewer and I received all my thank-you notes directly, and I was told that the thank-yous were between me and the applicant. But there are some student interviewers who are also on the admissions committee...

By the way, about the basic sciences. 2 years of material aren't squeezed into 1.5 years. It's a whole new set of "condensed" material - so don't worry about it being more stressful (in fact I think it's probably still more laid back than most schools!).

Don't be too down-hearted if you're waitlisted, the waitlist does move significantly here.

Good luck, y'all!
Go Fighting Quakers!

Originally posted by some clueless SDNer (Milhouse Van Houten )

plus if you're into name, which you shouldn't be, penn really doesn't have one. except of course, if you live inside pennsylvania.

man, that is the most funniest thing I have heard. Thank you, it woke me up. Are you residing on Earth? Get with the program.

I'll be there next year for sure! See ya there everyone.

FYI: Penn is an Ivy League School.

DesiDentist

plus if you're into name, which you shouldn't be, penn really doesn't have one. except of course, if you live inside pennsylvania

Its quite apparent on the night of your conception, your father shoud have just asked for a BJ

Hope That Helps

P. 'How do you like my indianboy impersonation?' ShankOut

When I interviewed (late October), they said we would get an e-mail telling us to check our status online, followed by a letter. When did they tell you this? I am wondering if they seem to have changed their minds, like Duke.

I interviewed in mid-October. You and UCLA2000 are probably right then. I hope so anyway.

I interviewed in mid-October. You and UCLA2000 are probably right then. I hope so anyway.

:laugh:...I wasn't guessing.

While I'm sure it's true that UPenn wants a well rounded applicant, I don't think the interview matters a lot. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for interviews to weigh a lot... I mean, you only have 30minutes, sometimes less, and several times my interview has been cut short or interrupted with a page to the interviewer. Student interviewers often aren't all that good at interviewing and ask you wierd questions, or just get off talking to you casually about some topic that has nothing to do with your application.

At Duke and Yale I was flat out told that interviews don't matter so much... and at WashU my interviewer strongly implied it to me. I don't see why UPenn would be much different.

I've come to the conclusion that a really awesome interview will help you... and a really horrible interview might hurt you... but otherwise, it doesn't do anything.

1. I STRONGLY disagree with you. Interviews count ALOT at Penn.
2. Penn is VERY different from Duke and Yale. Not only in terms of curriculum, but also in terms of the kind of student that Penn looks for. Penn is really big on only taking people who really want to go there. (i.e. they love Penn).
3. Student interviewers are there to see if you will fit in. Would we want you as a classmate? If a student says "I would not want this person in my class. They won't fit in here." Then you do the math.
4. It's sort of true that a so so interview won't kill your chances, however realize that Penn interviews ALOT of other applicants. A so so interview makes it easier for you to get lost in the shuffle.

Originally posted by Lt. Ub
the waitlist does move significantly here.

It really depends year to year. Last year it didn't move that much.

Originally posted by DW
Its quite apparent on the night of your conception, your father shoud have just asked for a BJ

Hope That Helps

OMFG! :laugh: