OFFICIAL: 2003 UPenn countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry about the site not being up today. Something happened and they crashed the entire computer system for a few hours today. I'm sure it slowed the posting of acceptances :(

Members don't see this ad.

I had small heart attacks each time I heard the new mail sound on my computer, thinking it was an email from Penn.

I totally know, and I get a TON of mail off of listserves and such... it was a pretty jumpy day. And sending out paper letters b/f posting online kinda defeats the purpose, no?

alpha,

Thanks so much, thats so sweet and definately the nicest compliment I've received 'round here.:D
re: Cornell, like I said on that thread, its about the mutual fit and, while Cornell didn't have room for a 5'8" marathoner who loves to cook and collect old jazz LPs (wow, that sounds like a really dorky personal ad... don't tell my gf!) I guess Penn did.

Anyway, I'm going out to celebrate and get plastered... and by 'celebrate and get plastered' I mean 'go back to the lab and figure out how to make the %^$#ing DAQ card work.'
:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Tom

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't get the status page to load - perhaps they're uploading?

Shivering with antici...

pation.

(But maybe the rain is really to blame - no sue's to blame, she made the costumes).

ARRRRRR-it'sdrivingmenuts

Originally posted by UCLA2000
Sorry about the site not being up today. Something happened and they crashed the entire computer system for a few hours today. I'm sure it slowed the posting of acceptances :(

You sound like you work in the admissions office. Do you? If so... when are we going to get our decisions? Are we getting them today?

Originally posted by Sicamic

I just checked the status page and it loads properly but NO new info yet. C'mon c'mon c'mon!!!

my money's on tomorrow

i just called the admissions office to ask about the status page. they said that it will be up TODAY. As for what time today they didn't say but they will EMAIL us about it. so, it looks like we will all know in a matter of hours, or possibly even minutes :eek:.

Shivering with antici...

pation.

(But maybe the rain is really to blame - no sue's to blame, she made the costumes).

ARRRRRR-it'sdrivingmenuts

It's driving me in-say-yay-ay-ay-ane ... Thanks Sicamic--my day sucks so far, but the RHPS reference made me smile. :)

This is killing me!

I work at Pfizer and can.......<*indie stops writing post to recheck status page*>.......get Zantac at cost - I think everyone on this thread deserves a bottle of it on me when this is all over!!

i can't log in to the status page... it says that it is temporarily unavailable. i'm guessing that they're uploading?!?! good luck everyone!

Good luck everyone! And thanks for the kind words alpha, it's good to know you were rooting for me. :) I am totally blown away, but at the same time feeling a little guilty because none of my friends have heard yet, or (most of) my fellow SDNers, and everyone is just getting ready to go insane. This is a horrible horrible game of torture, but it's almost over! Only a little while longer now guys. :)

it's up.

waitlisted, tier 1 :( :confused: :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
yup...it's up!

*sigh of disappointment*

1st tier waitlist from my first choice.

well, congrats to everyone accepted!

It gave me a waitlist tier 1 as well. I wonder if that is the MD/PhD decision as well.

Edit: Yes it was the MD/PhD decisions. Supposedly I am at the "tip top" of the tier 1 MD/PhD waitlist. Meanwhile I'm on the tier 1 MD waitlist. Congrats to you jot, I knew you would get in no problem. I hope that when you withdraw your seat will come my way...

Stayed up late tonight in India to check it....

Can't believe I got in!

After getting the thin envelope from HMS, this feels soooooo good!!!!!! :D

Waitlist tier 2. Ouch.

In a way, I'm sort of relieved. I told Penn it was my first choice in January, and then got an interview at Hopkins and was really surprised how much I liked it. Wanted to tell Hopkins I would go there but felt guilty about having already told Penn I wanted to go there. My husband would rather work in Baltimore than Philly, so this decision just got a lot easier ...

Anyway, congrats to all who got in! :clap: Good luck to those taking a waitlist spot.

Waitlisted, Tier 2. I'm assuming that it's as good as a rejection, right? They only take like a dozen off the waitlist from what I've heard and I seriously doubt they ever have to drop to the second tier for students. Anybody that can verify this? Or should I still maintain some hope?

cool. congrats to everyone else that got in.

I just checked the status page, and I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so relieved and happy at the same time! Looks like another 4 years at Penn for me! This is the bestest day ever! :)

:eek:

How did the waitlist king (me) get into Penn?! Holy freakin' crap!
Good luck to everyone else! I hope that the Status Page has good news for you all too!

:( second tier waitlist

So did they reject anyone? Or did they just decide to put all the would-be rejects into a "second tier waitlist?"

aww ****

tier 2 baby

damn RP, looks likez we be holding out hope for WashU now

but you still have yale i suppose

tier 2, guess I will stay is CA

1st tier waitlist here. And now, I will b & moan...

I'm a post-bac applicant with good clinical and research experiences, I did all kinds of groovy EC's in college, I have done well in sports, music, writing, GPA, MCAT and all of that crap. I had BY FAR my best interviews at Penn, I mean just liquid conversations with jokes, serious discussions, great rapport - challenging but ideal interviews, from my viewpoint. Penn was my favorite school, and now I'm wait-listed. D'oh!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to whine, but it just re-amazes me how pseudo-random this is - I've had horrible interviews at other places and gotten in. WTF? I don't get it. I don't think I want to any more.

I do thank them for the opportunity to buy myself a few "that's okay" albums (anybody heard the new malkmus?) and drink several "that's okay" drinks.

Big fat congrats to those who did, btw - seems like an excellent school. Have a few "that's awesome" drinks for me, but don't forget to pour a little out for all your dead homies. And by dead, I mean "who hopefully get into schools elsewhere."

peace out
Sic

Waitlist Tier 2, that soooks!

Well, maybe I should'nt have told my interviewer that I want to become a doctor for the free drugs and money? Just kidding.

Congrats to those who got in! Looks like U of Minn might be my final home.

:) got into the MD/PhD program with full funding

MS2 here-
Just wanted to let you guys know that Penn tends to take a decent number of kids off the waitlist, especially after the May deadline. I don't know the exact number. Many of my closest med school friends were once waitlisted. If you are certain that Penn is your first choice, you should make this known to the admissions office in writing. I think the same would hold true for any school. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. But only do this if it's really true. Don't rack up admissions just for fun/ego.

Originally posted by relatively prime
You sound like you work in the admissions office. Do you? If so... when are we going to get our decisions? Are we getting them today?

... I'm actually one of the janitors at Penn.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Neuronix
You gonna go there?

Well, it's gonna be a tough choice between Hopkins and Penn :D

Originally posted by ccCrazie
Waitlisted, Tier 2. I'm assuming that it's as good as a rejection, right? They only take like a dozen off the waitlist from what I've heard and I seriously doubt they ever have to drop to the second tier for students. Anybody that can verify this? Or should I still maintain some hope?

Don't give up just yet. For the entering class of 2001, 1/4 of the students got in off the waitlist. Last year I think it was about 30 people who got in off the waitlist (out of ~150). Definitely more than a dozen. If it is your tops choice, try to hang in there. Good luck!

1st tier waitlist here. And now, I will b & moan...

I'm a post-bac applicant with good clinical and research experiences, I did all kinds of groovy EC's in college, I have done well in sports, music, writing, GPA, MCAT and all of that crap. I had BY FAR my best interviews at Penn, I mean just liquid conversations with jokes, serious discussions, great rapport - challenging but ideal interviews, from my viewpoint. Penn was my favorite school, and now I'm wait-listed. D'oh!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to whine, but it just re-amazes me how pseudo-random this is - I've had horrible interviews at other places and gotten in. WTF? I don't get it. I don't think I want to any more.

Don't want to kick you when you are down, so I'll tell a story instead. A friend of mine at Penn undergrad didn't get an interview at Penn Med until the very last week they had interviews while all of her friends had interviews months before. She was pretty pissed at Penn and said how much she liked other schools. After she interviewed at Penn, she still said some other NYC schools were higher up on her list. She got waitlisted so she bltched a little more about Penn and talked up the other schools. Ultimately, she got in on the waitlist and is once again my classmate, this time at Penn Med.
Everyone who got in has good research/mcat/gpa/ECs/etc. I still find out new and interesting things about people in my class all the time. That is what makes Penn so great, the students we have.
If you still want to come to Penn, hopefully it will work out, as the waitlist is very fluid.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted!!

Now - for my predicament - What exactly does the 2nd Tier Waitlist mean? Do people regularly get in off of the 2nd tier? Or, is it just that they felt bad for us and didn't want to reject us flat out? In other words, do I have a chance or not?

I called them and asked them if anyone got rejected post-interview. Apparently, NO ONE IS REJECTED post interview. Everyone is either waitlisted 2 tier, waitlisted 1st tier, or accepted. So basically, yeah, they just felt bad for us.

Originally posted by UCLA2000
... I'm actually one of the janitors at Penn.:rolleyes:

Whateva, you haven't been promoted yet:laugh:

waitlisted at pitt and tier 1 penn....damn

so bonds says 1/4 comes off the waitlist. any idea what percentage of the whole waitlist is tier 1.

any info on tier 1 vs. tier 2 waitlist numbers? are there equal numbers in both? what are chances like for tier 1?

stapler--The numbers you've seen on this thread refer to tier 1. Tier 2 is rejection. According to my letter, past experience indicates that admission from tier 2 is unlikely. I'm a big girl--I would have preferred they just say, "No way," instead of pretending that it's a real waitlist spot (not that I would have taken it anyway). I don't know how many people are on tier 1, but at the interview they told us they were interviewing around 800, and that about 200-250 acceptances would go out. I think the class is around 150.

thanks VW :)

can someone please post some text from the Tier 1 letter?

my letter was mailed to an old address.

bump. can someone help me out by posting some key text of Tier 1 letter? thanks.

Tier 1 letter
"...enjoyed meeting you...highly qualified applicant...limitation on the number of available places in the class....Decisons on acceptances from the waitlist may be made at any time, but generally take place no earlier than April 15 and no later than August 13. While there is no individual rank on the waitlist, the committee has divided the waitlist into two tiers. Your position on the waitlist is in the first tier, along with other very competitive applicants....best chance for admissions consideration is between April 15th and June 30. ...visit the website (on status page)...blah blah blah...complete the waitlist response form on the web..."

I found out earlier this week that I am on the 2nd tier of Penn's waitlist.

Needless to say, I called Penn's admissions office to get some more insight into what that actually meant. Here's the gist of our conversation: The reason why it is unlikely any applicant on the 2nd tier will be pulled from the waitlist is because Penn will offer admission to all of its 1st tier applicants before even looking at the 2nd tier. Even if you add additional information (which they encouraged as any other med school would advise) to your file as a 2nd tier, your status as a 2nd tier will not change. That basically means you cannot move from the 2nd tier to the 1st tier no matter what you do. Lastly, they wouldn't tell me how many people are on each tier of the waitlist. I would assume the 1st tier pool is way smaller than that of the 2nd tier, but who knows.

Does anyone out there know any Penn Med student who was pulled from the 2nd tier waitlist? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to continue pursuing the waitlist at Penn if it's a battle in futility.

Originally posted by Desdemona
Tier 1 letter
"...enjoyed meeting you...highly qualified applicant...limitation on the number of available places in the class....Decisons on acceptances from the waitlist may be made at any time, but generally take place no earlier than April 15 and no later than August 13. While there is no individual rank on the waitlist, the committee has divided the waitlist into two tiers. Your position on the waitlist is in the first tier, along with other very competitive applicants....best chance for admissions consideration is between April 15th and June 30. ...visit the website (on status page)...blah blah blah...complete the waitlist response form on the web..."

Huh, that's interesting... my letter sounds a little different.

Originally posted by jkai
Huh, that's interesting... my letter sounds a little different.

Hey guys, guess what I got a REALLY REALLY important secret to tell you ...

aw nevermind, I'm not going to tell

:p

Originally posted by bludeviled
Hey guys, guess what I got a REALLY REALLY important secret to tell you ...

aw nevermind, I'm not going to tell

:p

that ain't right

also, jkai, how's yours different

Jkai, would you care to share with us how your letter is different? Does everyone else who got the letter agree that theirs is different?

My MD/PhD waitlist letter is slightly different. Beyond mentioning that my application was reviewed by both the medical school and the combined degree program, it notes that I am in the top of the tier 1 waitlist. I don't know if they only tell the MD/PhD applicants such things or not.

Here's the wording (with their underlining included):
"Your application was very highly regarded by the Committee, and therefore, you have been placed on the Combined Degree/MD first tier waitlist -- among those at the very top of the list. Your placement on the list means that you will be one of the first students considered for admission from the waitlist."

The rest of it looks the same as I'd imagine the other waitlist letters look.

So here I wait...