***Official 2007-2008 AMCAS Application Race to the Finish Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreatHunt

High Performance
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Give us a post when you started, and when you're done. Let's see who takes the least amount of time! Plus, it will give us some reminder to get off SDN and fill out our applications ;)

GOOD LUCK!

HOORAY MAY 3rd!!!

Members don't see this ad.

LOL.....sorry, hon, I have something called work I gotta be at tomorrow....:laugh:

I'm not gonna start filling it out till after May 10th, probably, got too many other things going on before that.

what about those poor souls who started today's application but summarily had their info deleted by the AAMC? this race better not be rigged......

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so we're clear. You know this can't be submitted until June, right?

Nevermind. I take it back. First one done gets a cookie. GO!

Ahhhh, I can't even think about starting it until after I graduate.

Um, maybe I should start working on my PS? :scared:

I would love to start but I have 3 papers and 4 finals between now and Monday night. :mad:

And so it begins,

wait not yet - it's not open yet

So... 7 more hours =P

Unluckily for most of us... it seems like finals are close behind! lol

Good luck to those who can ACTUALLY start!

wow.... this thread is nuts

the only thing I'm looking for is the transcript request form.

or is that already available?

it will be kinda nice being a reapplicant, all of my stuff is already filled out for me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to start tomorrow with some things that I actually know... like my name and address. Tougher things like the activities and PS will have to wait :( But putting in at least something tomorrow will give me the illusion of productivity...

the only thing I'm looking for is the transcript request form.

or is that already available?

it will be kinda nice being a reapplicant, all of my stuff is already filled out for me :)
i'm with you on the reapplicant boat armybound
This has to be our year

should be better than last time, at least. learned a lot since then!

hell, I bet my applications will even be done before September this time.
for me it was just a simple matter of upping my mcat.
But a combo of that and early app should help

should be better than last time, at least. learned a lot since then!

hell, I bet my applications will even be done before September this time.

Yes, the whole reapplicant thing is nice...

September, try January for me!

I officially started on May 3, 2007 at 7:45am PST!

That does suck that it didn't.. Did you use the same log in and such?

Btw I started at 10:18 and I am pretty much finished (11:33) shy of sending in transcripts and designating schools :p

That does suck that it didn't.. Did you use the same log in and such?

Btw I started at 10:18 and I am pretty much finished (11:33) shy of sending in transcripts and designating schools :p
yep, same login, same AMCAS number, etc. BOOOOOO

I'd fill it out if I didn't have a final today. all I have left is entering courses/grades and my activities.

transcripts have already been requested but I forgot the stupid form, so I need to go give them that.

yep, same login, same AMCAS number, etc. BOOOOOO

I'd fill it out if I didn't have a final today. all I have left is entering courses/grades and my activities.

transcripts have already been requested but I forgot the stupid form, so I need to go give them that.

That's very odd...mine was all there. It shouldn't take you too long since you already have the old one...

That's very odd...mine was all there. It shouldn't take you too long since you already have the old one...
did you apply last year or the year before?

i applied in 06

i remember looking at the 07 AMCAS and all my stuff was filled out

maybe since I didn't apply last year it deleted everything

i applied in 06

I applied 07..

That's weird though that they would just get rid of that and nothing else.

i just got finished adding all the schools that i didn't apply to last time - it's great to see that the stigma of being a reapp won't follow me everywhere...

Started at about 1:00 pm today...I needed something to do that wasn't my paper or studying for finals...

Started at about 1:00 pm today...I needed something to do that wasn't my paper or studying for finals...
I'm still in midterm season :( Finals aren't even until about June 10 for me...

I've officially begun filling out my app. I'm guessing it will take me 2 weeks as I'm the biggest procrastinator.

I'm only a paragraph into mine.

just need to add classes. got the rest of the month to do it, though. guess i will put it off until after finals :)

I need to write a "what have you done to improve your application since the last time you applied?" essay for the Texas schools.

i applied in 06

I signed on to see if my stuff was there from 2006 and it wasn't either

I'm going to use this thread to post questions since I don't want to start a new thread for each question I have for the AMCAS application.

Firstly, when considering a summer session, if a summer session is in the year 2006, does it fall in the 2005-2006 year or the 2006-2007 year?

Also, if I took the same class (research) twice for two summer sessions, do I simply list the course twice? There is no option for more than one summer session.

My school does something called a "Q" drop where you can opt to drop a class without any academic penalty except for a "Q" on your transcript. It is not the same thing as a withdrawal. What is the AMCAS equivalent? "Exempt"?

Lastly, one of my teachers is being a pain in the ass for a LOR. Our school recently started to use a third party online service that takes all our LORs and makes electronic copies of them to send out to med schools on your request. Well, this guy is a flaming liberal hippie (professor, I might add) that hates corporations, etc. and he gave me this huge lecture about how it's a scam, they're trying to take my money for no reason, blah blah blah when it's really to my convenience. He flat out refuses to send it through this service which subsequently means that I cannot give the letter to my pre-med office because they are using this service strictly. I can give them a copy of it for their reference, but other than that, they will not make copies for it and send it to schools for me like they used to.

So I have two options:

I can send each copy of his LOR painstakingly individually to each school I am applying to. My question concerning this is that can I send letters separately without bulking them into one large packet?

My second option is to take his letter and send it to the online service myself which will take it and database it electronically. This is a bit unethical because the guy is so vehemently opposed to the service, and I'd feel bad for deceiving him even though he is a complete idiot.

This leads me to my last and final question: is it ok to have a generic LOR from a professor if you have a good LOR from another? This guy churns out 200 LORs (not all med schools) a year and I'm guessing he copy and pastes the same stuff over and over again, but he really likes helping students so he makes them really overly-positive although rather impersonal because he doesn't really know most the people he writes the letters about. Should I get my research coordinator from three years ago to write me an LOR instead?

Sorry for the long post.

I didn't look it up for AMCAS, but the TMDSAS says to count summer school towards the school year you're about to start. If you took summer school between your soph and junior years, you classify it as junior.

You do list the course twice if you took it twice. This is a copy of your official transcript.

Generic LORs don't really help because they offer little insight, but I don't think it will really hurt you if the letter is still positive. Sorry, I can't give you advice on what to do. You could have him print it out and mail it to AMCAS to be included in your file.

I'm going to use this thread to post questions since I don't want to start a new thread for each question I have for the AMCAS application.

Firstly, when considering a summer session, if a summer session is in the year 2006, does it fall in the 2005-2006 year or the 2006-2007 year?

Also, if I took the same class (research) twice for two summer sessions, do I simply list the course twice? There is no option for more than one summer session.

My school does something called a "Q" drop where you can opt to drop a class without any academic penalty except for a "Q" on your transcript. It is not the same thing as a withdrawal. What is the AMCAS equivalent? "Exempt"?

Lastly, one of my teachers is being a pain in the ass for a LOR. Our school recently started to use a third party online service that takes all our LORs and makes electronic copies of them to send out to med schools on your request. Well, this guy is a flaming liberal hippie (professor, I might add) that hates corporations, etc. and he gave me this huge lecture about how it's a scam, they're trying to take my money for no reason, blah blah blah when it's really to my convenience. He flat out refuses to send it through this service which subsequently means that I cannot give the letter to my pre-med office because they are using this service strictly. I can give them a copy of it for their reference, but other than that, they will not make copies for it and send it to schools for me like they used to.

So I have two options:

I can send each copy of his LOR painstakingly individually to each school I am applying to. My question concerning this is that can I send letters separately without bulking them into one large packet?

My second option is to take his letter and send it to the online service myself which will take it and database it electronically. This is a bit unethical because the guy is so vehemently opposed to the service, and I'd feel bad for deceiving him even though he is a complete idiot.

This leads me to my last and final question: is it ok to have a generic LOR from a professor if you have a good LOR from another? This guy churns out 200 LORs (not all med schools) a year and I'm guessing he copy and pastes the same stuff over and over again, but he really likes helping students so he makes them really overly-positive although rather impersonal because he doesn't really know most the people he writes the letters about. Should I get my research coordinator from three years ago to write me an LOR instead?

Sorry for the long post.
2006-2007.

As for the Q, I'd just write Q as the grade or whatever matches on your transcript.

Check out the instruction book, it answers a lot of questions.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrevised.pdf

:)

Hi

I hope this is a good place to ask questions about our AMCAS applications, otherwise everyone will have to start a thread of their own.

These are my questions so far. Please be patient as I am not the brightest person when it comes to these things.

1. When listing AP courses do you list the name/# of the college equivalent. for ex. AP BIO is listed as 2 courses on the transcript

100 Biol. of Cells & org.
101 Populations and Comm.

I thought I should list them with these titles. Mark H.S. and check AP at the bottom. Is this ok?

2. Since some people may finish in 3 years they come in with sophomore standing b/c of AP credit sometimes. So when listing first year courses should we choose freshman under year in school or sophomore. (This follows for the other courses as well so just want to make sure).

3. I know this is dumb question but how do you categorize language. Fine Arts?
How do you classify a humanities writing class Fine arts again? I don't see humanities as one of the options.

4. how many characters out of 1325 should the activities description be? Should we use 1st person? Complete sentences?

5. When listing posters and publications what info. do you include.
Authorship?
Title of pub.?
Conference at which poster is presented?
What should we write under experience name?

Sorry for all the details but I appreciate anyone's help. If it is better to start this in another thread let me know or I could call the AAMC if they answer these types of questions. Thanks again.