Official 2009 Vent Your Frustrations Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted128562

"Misery loves company". As exciting as it is to finally be applying to medical school, it also seems there are an endless number of obstacles/frustrations ready to spring up at any moment and devour the hopeful pre-med. This thread is dedicated to the wonderous therapy we call "venting".

My two issues thus far:

1) Last fall I received an "I" in a class because it was a weird year long class (fall grades assigned after spring complete as well). My spring grade showed up right after the semester but my fall grade still shows as "I". The professor has submitted paperwork twice to have it changed - once last month and once a couple of weeks ago - and STILL no change. Registrar's office just told me to have him submit it a THIRD time. My transcript is the only thing holding my app up, and at the rate it's going I'll be lucky to apply in December.

2) Letters of Rec - anyone else having this problem? I was proactive and asked for letters in the spring. So far not a single one has shown up, and I am having a hard time getting ahold of people. I'm about ready to start asking every professor I've ever had for a letter and just using the first few I get. Seriously.

So what I'm learning/frustrated about: As should be expected, no one cares about your app nearly as much as you do, but unfortunately these other people can definitely make it much harder to be successful. What a #*&$ annoying process!!

Ah, I feel better already!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a parking ticket.

I can't believe I'm still addicted to SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't take a summer class I wanted to because my work schedule changed to include more evenings.

Sure hope that one doesn't come back to bite me...

yeah getting the LORs are the hardest part in applying

I didn't get in last year and have to reapply. Enough said, I think.

HoboCommander... LOVE your avatar! :D

amcas still hasnt received my transcript and its been sent twice.

Every time my personal statement gets edited, I feel like crying :(. It now sounds like the ramblings of a crazy schizophrenic person.

And I'm addicted to SDN :( But that's a given, perhaps?

BUT AMCAS GOT ALL 3 TRANSCRIPTS somehow. Whee! What were the odds on that, anyway?

Last edited:
amcas still hasnt received my transcript and its been sent twice.

I sent out the request for a transcript over a month ago, and today I decided to pony up another 8 bucks and send out a 2nd copy of the transcript. Well 3 hours after that I get an email from AMCAS that the transcript was received!!! I am very excited and thankful that they finally acknowledge having it, but pissed that I spent money sending another 3 hours prior. =P

Warning: horrible unbearable whining ahead...

1. AMCAS has not received transcripts yet.
2. I'm taking an August MCAT. AACOMAS and AMCAS are already in.
3. I know I'm probably not getting in anywhere.
4. Ambulance company X has not called back yet. :thumbdown:thumbdown
5. Biochem + Kaplan + Physics II = not exactly a relaxing summer.
6. I am addicted to SDN as well.

On the good side:

1. I like how phosphofructokinase is the most regulated enzyme in glycolysis.
2. Study habits are improving I think (explains why I am posting on SDN right now).
3. I finally finished Rach Op.23 No.7.
4. I have been facebook-free for over two weeks with no relapses.
5. I think I have a pretty good shot at my #1 school.

From Dr. Faustus:
"Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris."
(It is a comfort to the miserable to have had companions in sorrow)

I have sent in all my AMCAS stuff, but now I need to go through the motions again for the osteopathic stuff. I wouldn't be doing this, but I want to be a doctor more than I don't want to do this ****. C'est la vie.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hate how being premed makes me restless during long breaks like summer (or am i the only one?). i feel like i should be doing more, like volunteering or taking classes or something, instead of enjoying the time off (despite the fact that i'm going to have a busy summer starting next week).

-_-'

Oooh, so glad for this thread ;).

LORs are a pain. Thankfully, I've got 2 in my file now, one from my old work supervisor and one from my volunteer supervisor. But trying to get them from profs? It's like pulling teeth. Geez. I know one of my profs (o-chem) seems real responsible, he knows my "deadline" for it (I said 7/18, to coincide with when I take my MCAT.. ha), and he said it would be no problem. I trust him so that's all good. Then another prof promised to do it, but no sign of it on Interfolio yet. I'm thinking of asking a 3rd prof just in case something doesn't pan out. Sigh. I gave them SASEs to Interfolio, but now I'm thinking it might have been better to arrange a "pickup" time, so they'd be more inclined to do it. Instead, all I can do is sort of wring my hands and wait until Interfolio sends me that lovely e-mail alerting me a letter's been added to my file.

But, what's really worrying me isn't these letters, since I'm not even going to be taking the MCAT until July. It's this frickin' TRANSCRIPT I'm waiting on from a community college for a frickin' sewing class I took!!! I can't believe this. At first, they wouldn't even send out a transcript unless I'm there in person. Kinda hard, since I'm in another state!

Finally, I convinced this lady to send it out. AMCAS never got it. I asked her to resend. Still nothing. Finally, I figured out the school has my last name spelled wrong. Oh. Crap. No way I'm going through all that jazz of trying to convince them to change my name. (And all this for a credit-less sewing class I took for FUN ??) So I put in the name as an "alternate name" on AMCAS :idea: thanks to some suggestions from people. I wikied the issue, and apparently it's perfectly legal to change one's last name under "common use", as long as the intent isn't to misrepresent oneself. I.e. one can just start using a different name post-marriage without having to do anything legally about it... well, I guess I shall be forever known by that absurd last name at that community college. WHATEVER. ha.

So... they still haven't marked that transcript as received it. If they don't in like another week, I guess I'll have to call them.

Those are all my gripes for now ;).

Every time my personal statement gets edited, I feel like crying :(. It now sounds like the ramblings of a crazy schizophrenic person.

I know exactly what you mean. I really liked my PS and then I started taking it to people to critique...after a bunch of "corrections" I hated the statement. It no longer had my "voice", didn't convey what I wanted to convey about myself, and was overall just rambly and awful.

I ended up going back to the earlier version I liked, incorporating a few of my critics' minor suggestions that I felt were truly improvements, and submitting my primary.

I think you just reach a point where it's like..enough is enough. Say what you want to say, how you want to say it...it is your statement after all.

omg i want to vent.

Ok so I ahve 3 LORs, which have to be processed dthru my school bc they do committee letters.

FIRST, they lose a LOR that was turned in a yr ago, and i have to track that prof down and ask her again (she had left my undergrad school herself).

SECONDLY, they got my 2nd LOR and they CUT IT IN HALF when opening the envelope. SERIOUSLY who does that.

Oh yeah, and I have all the normal gripes about applying, i suck at writing my ps, this costs too much money, I'm too busy with work, BLABLALBLABLA

I'm pretty frustrated with my pre-health committee. Schedule an interview with me already!!!

Anyone know when these committees usually schedule interviews to write their students a package letter?

I'm pretty frustrated with my pre-health committee. Schedule an interview with me already!!!

Anyone know when these committees usually schedule interviews to write their students a package letter?

Oik. I had mine back in March...call the school, maybe? Best of luck with that.

OIK, I had the WORST nightmare last night. And I say it was the worst, primarily because I actually BELIEVED it when I woke up gasping and crying last night.

So I dreamed that for some reason, AMCAS wouldn't let you apply unless you paid a $35/week fee all through the admission's season -- and I dreamed I was already 4 weeks behind in payments. I woke up and I literally almost cried because I thought I was too late to pay the fees and where was I going to get $35/week on TOP of the fees anyway???

I swear it was the most realistic dream I have ever had. I think it's because I keep worrying about all these stupid little details -- I figure, at some point, I'm going to worry so much about something completely @$$inine like where I put that semi-colon on my personal statement, I'll forget to do something major -- like turn in any of my secondaries.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::scared::scared::scared::eek::eek::eek::eek: <--- that was how I felt.

Depends on the school. When I did it last year, I called in March I believe and they scheduled me for a committee interview at the end of May. I'm pretty sure that was one of the earlier slots at my school.

OIK, I had the WORST nightmare last night. And I say it was the worst, primarily because I actually BELIEVED it when I woke up gasping and crying last night.

So I dreamed that for some reason, AMCAS wouldn't let you apply unless you paid a $35/week fee all through the admission's season -- and I dreamed I was already 4 weeks behind in payments. I woke up and I literally almost cried because I thought I was too late to pay the fees and where was I going to get $35/week on TOP of the fees anyway???

I swear it was the most realistic dream I have ever had. I think it's because I keep worrying about all these stupid little details -- I figure, at some point, I'm going to worry so much about something completely @$$inine like where I put that semi-colon on my personal statement, I'll forget to do something major -- like turn in any of my secondaries.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::scared::scared::scared::eek::eek::eek::eek: <--- that was how I felt.
lol, gotta love premeds

lol, gotta love premeds

Ya know, I'm just grateful the response wasn't "haven't you heard? they're doing this new thing this year...too late to apply this year."

Seriously, man. Freaked me out.

wowwwwwwwww

so I asked for my LORs in January, all submitted, set my committee interview then, had it, ordered my transcripts the day the amcas came out (one to me, one to amcas, took amcas ~ an extra week), worked on essays for about 9 mos, only let my app get proofed by my mother so that i sounds like me minus spelling mistakes, submitted, processed...

and now all i can do is freaking wait and ulcer garden. uck.
i really wish they could just condense this whole process. at least before i submitted i could read it over and pretend that i still had some semblance of control. can't amcas just release my app already?

ooooooooooook.

So I dreamed i was in a singing competition (I do sing), and the person before me chose a song that made me realize that my song choice sucked. I desperately looked for a new one, since it was my turn to go on stage. I wanted to sing the same song he did (it's a song I sing often), but they wouldnt let me. I franticly tried finding an appropriate song with the accompaniest, but couldn't, and then noticed that most of the audience had left. The contest was judged by the audience, so I suddenly had no chance of winning, since most of the ppl werent there to hear me.

I think this was all a huge analogy for me considering re-writing my PS (which I am still considering doing), and feeling the time stress of getting one done on time. Good god. Here's to hoping for no dreams tonight :(

And I'm addicted to SDN :( But that's a given, perhaps?

BUT AMCAS GOT ALL 3 TRANSCRIPTS somehow. Whee! What were the odds on that, anyway?

Don't let others take over your PS!! Let them help you with flow, but the content/substance must be you!

I am addicted too >.> I need SDNers Anonymous. Though I spose we're alreayd anonymous haha

1. Just got addicted to these forums
2. can't manage to edit my personal statement
3. haven't even started filling out my ECs
4. don't have a list of schools, still about 15 too many on mine
5. Need to finish all of this and submit in the next week, before I go study abroad for a month and a half

I am studying my ass off for the MCAT and don't seem to be able to relax yet
AMCAS/TMDSAS submitted
TMDSAS hasn't acknowledged that my LOR are in yet :(
I am not sure if I applied to enough schools but don't want to waste a bunch of money.

is this a med school frustration thread or a life frustration thread?

my air conditioner flooded the wood floors in the apartment that i rent, and the wood warped so that there were big bubbles coming up so high i couldn't open the door over them

i describe this in past tense because this morning i resorted to prying up the wood paneling from the floor so my door would open (the only other option was running & ninja-kicking the door every time i wanted to enter the bedroom!)

I think I love you.

Ninja-kicking is awesome.

Sigh...well, three days ago I went some crazy allergic attack FOR NO GOOD REASON, so I had to use an epi-pen and it totally screwed up my sleep schedule. So now I haven't slept well in 3 days, I can't focus on what my patients are saying and AMCAS still hasn't verified my application. Oh, and I work in a sleep clinic, with beds all over the place.
Also, my pre-med adviser had told me that a bunch of classes counted toward my science GPA...um not so much. So instead of taking BCPM classes that would have counted, i took a bunch of classes in other departments, and now I have discovered that they don't count...so my science gpa sucks.

Sigh...

Don't let others take over your PS!! Let them help you with flow, but the content/substance must be you!

I am addicted too >.> I need SDNers Anonymous. Though I spose we're alreayd anonymous haha

Haha -- SO my FLOW was fine before I had editors help. My content has never been fine.

Post-editing ====> neither my content NOR my flow is fine :laugh:.

Also, I have edited the life-blood out of my Work/Activities.

Haha -- SO my FLOW was fine before I had editors help. My content has never been fine.

Post-editing ====> neither my content NOR my flow is fine :laugh:.

Also, I have edited the life-blood out of my Work/Activities.

haha. Well, maybe try starting over completely on your PS. That is what was recommended to me =) If you think that your PS had bad content, it will be very difficult to insert "good content" into an already-structured PS.

i editeid the crap out of my activities section too haha. seriously, MANY hrs :eek:

haha. Well, maybe try starting over completely on your PS. That is what was recommended to me =) If you think that your PS had bad content, it will be very difficult to insert "good content" into an already-structured PS.

i editeid the crap out of my activities section too haha. seriously, MANY hrs :eek:

Hehe, I think the main content problems I'm experiencing may not have *so* much to do with my selection, but rather the applicant herself...:rolleyes:

My PS is about 300 characters over, i hate inputting the activity part on the AMCAS. and the freaking LORs. Iam doing to committee in my school they require evaluation forms to be filled by professors (they are like putting little check on boxes) 3 out of the 6 profesors that i ask more than a month ago have not send the damn forms. how hard is to check a freaking BOX, is not a freaking letter or a thesis, just check the damn tiny box!!!!

Also, i something happened to me and i had to go through a minor surgery and i can move my left arm properly. And i still have to wait another 4 days to get my scores back!!!

The good news is that i havent gotten any nighmares yet:D