OFFICIAL 2009 Where Are You Going Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jclinical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After obsessively checking interview, acceptance, and rejections threads, I thought it would be nice to hear where everyone is going, as those decisions are made. Let's cheer each other on! (Plus, maybe folks going to the same school can connect beforehand.)

Have you made a final decision, if so, which school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As suggested kindly by another poster, I would like to change the title of this thread to "OFFICIAL 2009 Where Are You Going Thread", but unfortunately don't know how. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I'll be brave and post where i'm headed come fall...

I'm not sure why this thread has had over 400 views and no replies? haha

I accepted an offer at my top choice phd program: University of Maryland - Baltimore County, in their clinical/community psych program.

Anyone else? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I have not made it official as of yet, I plan to attend the University of Minnesota's Clinical PhD program this fall. I am visiting MN this weekend and plan to make it official there.

Well, enough waffling.

I just accepted at the University of Florida, Clinical PhD program. Anyone else going to U of F, please get in touch!

(go gators?!)

Last edited:
Congrats all!

You are about to embark on one of the most exciting, stimulating, frustrating, and challenging experiences of your lives. It is a long haul, so try and take it all in...as there really isn't anything else like grad school.

I am also in the process of making it official via signatures and whatnot, but I accepted an offer to my number one choice program--Rutgers Clinical PhD. Congrats everyone on this thread! Very exciting all around!

hey everyone! congratulations on your acceptances so early! I just want to nicely remind those who are lucky enough to have gotten into their top choices and multiple schools to remember to let other schools know as soon as you are sure that you are no longer considering their offer. This allows spots to open up for those who are anxiously awaiting an offer. Thanks everyone and best of luck! :)

I will be attending the University of Central Florida clinical PhD!

:D:D:D

I just got an official offer in the mail from the University of Southern California Clinical Program. I will be a first year student come this fall :) :D:D:D

I have not formally accepted, but will be attending Kent State Unversity's clinical psychology program in the fall... Wow did I just type that? I am still in shock.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA COUNSELING phd program and officially going....anyone out there........at all, anyone even from another area of the program :) lol

I have accepted an offer to attend the Ph.D. Program in Counseling Psychology at Seton Hall University:D!!!

I have wanted to reach the doctoral level for years, and although it was a journey to get here it was well worth the wait! I received a few offers this Spring, many from Psy.D. programs, and I am just hoping I made the right choice here. The quality of the program, the school, and the funding possibilities made it seem like the right thing to do and the best fit for me.

So do I now change my alias to Jon4PhD? :laugh:

Go Pirates!

hahah is it weird that the first thing I thought of was that you needed to change that to Jon4Phd? Also... I'd stick with go Red Sox myself;)

I have accepted an offer to attend the Ph.D. hProgram in Counseling Psychology at Seton Hall University:D!!!

I have wanted to reach the doctoral level for years, and although it was a journey to get here it was well worth the wait! I received a few offers this Spring, many from Psy.D. programs, and I am just hoping I made the right choice here. The quality of the program, the school, and the funding possibilities made it seem like the right thing to do and the best fit for me.

Go Pirates!

I will be attending the Clinical Psychology PhD Program at Miami University (Ohio) and I could not be more excited and happy! Anyone else joining me there?

I'll be brave and post where i'm headed come fall...

I'm not sure why this thread has had over 400 views and no replies? haha

I accepted an offer at my top choice phd program: University of Maryland - Baltimore County, in their clinical/community psych program.

Anyone else? ;)

Way to go ClinalGal! I suppose your decision of last year now seems perfectly fine in retrospect. Hopefully, you will like Baltimore. Congratulations!

Although I have not made it official as of yet, I plan to attend the University of Minnesota's Clinical PhD program this fall. I am visiting MN this weekend and plan to make it official there.

You are the perfect example of "matching-up with" or "fitting" into a program. Everyone should notice that GoodyGood posted a rejection letter to the University of Missouri Columbia (certainly a solid program), yet is going to one of the most elite programs. Everyone might think that someone who gets into the Univ. of Minn. Clinical program would get accepted anywhere. However, here is proof that the system does not work that way. Congratulations but bring your coat!

I am very happy that I will be attending Widener this fall!! :D

You are the perfect example of "matching-up with" or "fitting" into a program. Everyone should notice that GoodyGood posted a rejection letter to the University of Missouri Columbia (certainly a solid program), yet is going to one of the most elite programs. Everyone might think that someone who gets into the Univ. of Minn. Clinical program would get accepted anywhere. However, here is proof that the system does not work that way. Congratulations but bring your coat!

You couldn't be more right about that. In fact, I applied to 14 schools, got 3 interviews, and 2 offers. Minnesota was my "far-reach" school in terms of competition and admissions criteria, but it was my top choice regarding fit with the program (and POI) and training philosophy. I was flat out rejected from every "safety" school I applied to. Just goes to show you there are always factors beyond one's control that may make or break one's admission.

i will be going to Antioch New England’s Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology.....found out today......I'm ecstatic!!!!

anyone else attending?

I have not formally accepted, but will be attending Kent State Unversity's clinical psychology program in the fall... Wow did I just type that? I am still in shock.

:soexcited:

Last edited:
I haven't formally accepted- but I'll be attending FSU this fall!

I let them know last week. This is the clinical psych. program offered through the graduate school, not the med. school.

I have accepted an offer to attend the Ph.D. Program in Counseling Psychology at Seton Hall University:D!!!

Go Pirates!

Hey Jon, Congratulations! I'm sure Jon Snow would celebrate your name change (just a little inside SDN joke).

Best of luck! :luck:

so im narrowing down and have officially turned down my offer at Florida - good luck to anyone waiting to hear...I will turn down one more offer today, and will have two to decide between. this is definitely the hardest part of the whole process. good luck to those choosing between programs!

so im narrowing down and have officially turned down my offer at Florida - good luck to anyone waiting to hear...I will turn down one more offer today, and will have two to decide between. this is definitely the hardest part of the whole process. good luck to those choosing between programs!

Thanks for making a quick decision for those of us stuck in wait-list hell.

Which FL school? If is Univ. of FL, that may mean I get to move up in the line. :xf:

Good luck with the rest of your decisions:luck:

Which FL school? If is Univ. of FL, that may mean I get to move up in the line. :xf:

It is UF! Hopefully this helps!

Emilee, i talked to someone the other day that said they would be declining their offer from Florida also, so that's more good news for you.

Has anyone accepted or rejected an offer to UIC (Clinical Psychology, Ph.D.)? Just curious!

Why can't I get great news like this for UVA?!? :rolleyes: Haha.

Regardless... I hope this means amazing things for you Emilee!:xf:

None of these schools happen to be UND, do they? ;)

Now that i have all the info I needed I can finally post my decision!!! I am going to UNR!!!!! YAYYYYYY!!! Anyone else?

Emilee, i talked to someone the other day that said they would be declining their offer from Florida also, so that's more good news for you.

I think Florida accepts not from a general waitlist, but per POI (although I am not positive). I am waiting to hear from them as well, so regardless, this could be good news! Thanks

I think Florida accepts not from a general waitlist, but per POI (although I am not positive). I am waiting to hear from them as well, so regardless, this could be good news! Thanks

Thanks for bursting my bubble:eek:

Just kidding...You are probably right. The letter says I am a high alternate, so that probably means it's per POI. I'm just confused about their admissions, since the person who interviewd me was not my POI! I had to do a phone interview, since I had another interview on that date and they were not willing to reschedule me on another date. I'm surprised they did not outright reject me.

It could still happen, Emilee--it's not over until they send that rejection. Maybe not even then, I've heard some interesting stories.

I'm going to the PGSP-Stanford PsyD Consortium in the fall. Congrats to everybody on their acceptances, and good luck to those still waiting and deciding! PM me if you're going to be at the same program next year!

Anyone else attending Rutgers (phd) in the fall? PM me if you are!

Actually- I am an UG RA in a development lab, so while I can't speak specifically for UF Clinical acceptances I do have a general idea of how the development admissions works, and I'm sure its similar:

Students ARE admitted to a specific POI, but there is some flexibility for how many students each POI gets-

I specifically know that the POI I work with wanted to take 2 students this year though there was only guaranteed funding for one student in the first round of offers because all the professors in the department wanted to take someone. However in our lab meeting Dr. X informed us that the first choice had been given an offer and the second choice was actually at the top of the list for the second round of offers, not necessarily just if our first choice declined, but if ANYONE declined in the department. Therefore theoretically if someone else had an offer declined than our lab may in fact gain 2 grad students next year while another POI may not have any.

I also can also say that offers are variant depending on where the funding is coming from= there are multiple sources of funding at UF- for example there's a specfic fund for Alumni, that can only be used for indidivuals who had gained their BS at UF and were returning for their PhD/MA.

Like I said, this is how dev. is giving out offers, but I'd assume all of Psychology does it the same way- it would just depend on whether or not your POI was requesting more than one student. If he/she is only asking for one, then you would only be offered admissions if the first choice declined, BUT if multiple were being requested than it would be possible to move up on the list just if someone else declines.

Wow that was pretty convoluted- hopefully it helps!

Anybody made recent final decisions? Mulling over tough choices this weekend?