OFFICIAL 2010-2011 SFSU/UOP/UCSF Dental Post-Bacc Program applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oae

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I thought I would start one of these in hopes of meeting others who have applied to this program. The deadline was April 1st, and I wish everyone luck [so long as it doesn't jeopardize my spot... lol :) ]

Basically, start by posting some of your stats, so we can compare the relative competition we face. lol.

And just post any other interesting facts about the program, or any updates on the application process (ie. interviews, etc)

BTW. I found out that the program is definitively going to begin reviewing applications over the next two weeks. (Based on what I was told, it seemed as though they had not started looking at any applicants earlier, which is probably a bummer for January 15 applicant submitters who thought it might give them an edge)

Once again good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied to the Disadvantaged Dental Reapplicant Post Bacc program.

Last edited:
Good luck to all those applying. I'm finishing up the program this Spring and it's been great. The people in the program are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all those applying. I'm finishing up the program this Spring and it's been great. The people in the program are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Did you get into dental school already while in the program? And is it still true they make you take the DAT late into the summer?

Yeah I got in this cycle. With the DAT, you take it when you're ready. The DAT prep that they provide begins in June I believe so most people don't take it till about August.

Im glad to hear you have had a good experience and are now accepted int dental school?

My I ask which dental school you are going to?

Also, do you have any suggestions for those who get accepted into the program? Any special SFSU logistics?

Do you have any course suggestions? Id particularly like to know which professors are most popular for their teaching?

I thank you in advance for your response. It would be helpful to get some heads up so I could start the program off on the right foot (if i get in).

OH.. most importantly... Is there still such thing as the GUEST invitation for those who are rejected but are still offered to participate by free-lancing as an open enrollment unofficial student?

Hey peeps

So I got a secondary confirmation email on Monday 4/5/10, which mentioned that my application was "complete" and would begin review.

Did anyone else get this? Was this a standard email sent to everyone who applied? Or did I just happen to receive this email because my final letter of rec was submitted a couple days prior?

I submitted my application 2-3 days before the deadline and I'm still waiting to get the secondary confirmation email. But that could be because one of my professors still needs to submit my letter of recommendation.

I submitted my application 2-3 days before the deadline and I'm still waiting to get the secondary confirmation email. But that could be because one of my professors still needs to submit my letter of recommendation.

Oh.. I see.. Hopefully as soon as your professor gets that letter in, then you'll be set.

Which program did you apply for specifically?

Good luck.

On the UCSF School of Dentistry website it states (in bright-yellow highlighted text):

"At this time, the UCSF School of Dentistry is unable to confirm its continued affiliation with the program. However, you may still apply to the program through the San Francisco State University website. We will update this status on this page as more information becomes available."

I wonder what this means :confused: I think I should start looking at some other programs...

On the UCSF School of Dentistry website it states (in bright-yellow highlighted text):

"At this time, the UCSF School of Dentistry is unable to confirm its continued affiliation with the program. However, you may still apply to the program through the San Francisco State University website. We will update this status on this page as more information becomes available."

I wonder what this means :confused: I think I should start looking at some other programs...

Yeah, I noticed this too. I dont know what the heck thats about.

Im really not sure what being "affiliated" with the program does or doesnt for students. Its not like UCSF being affiliated would guarantee post-bacc students admittance into its dental school anyway?

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed this too. I dont know what the heck thats about.

Im really not sure what being "affiliated" with the program does or doesnt for students. Its not like UCSF being affiliated would guarantee post-bacc students admittance into its dental school anyway?

Maybe UCSF is upset about the quality of students they've been receiving from SFSU's post bacc program the last couple of years?!..

One thing I know for sure, it doesn't have to do with the quality of students coming from the post bac program. If anything, students from the post bac program perform very well in dental school (UCSF included).

Im really interested to find out what type of "political" or "logistic" reasons UCSF may have to "un" affiliate itself with the program.

Personally, I think whether or not there is an official tie, UCSF will still favor students from the post-bacc program (assuming the quality of students being produced are excellent as you mentioned)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to the adjunct dental program so I guess we won't be competing with each other for a spot in the same program :p

Oh.. I see.. Hopefully as soon as your professor gets that letter in, then you'll be set.

Which program did you apply for specifically?

Good luck.

good to know we are not competing. lol

Im so eager to hear back from them. Crossing my fingers I get an interview.

Is this program open to Canadians?
I am looking for a post bacc program in the states.... need help!

Its open to anyone to apply, but highly doubt you would get in.

They have a preference for California residents. Many out-of-state student do not get in, let alone international.

But if you have the time and money, then go ahead and try. It wont hurt.

Its open to anyone to apply, but highly doubt you would get in.

They have a preference for California residents. Many out-of-state student do not get in, let alone international.

But if you have the time and money, then go ahead and try. It wont hurt.

Not necessarily a preference for CA residents, it just turns out that a lot more CA resident applies. But if you're an out of state student, it will def. be expensive to attend.

Is this program only for students who have a non competitive DAT score and low GPA?

I'd like to read up on backup plans as I am have some doubts that my GPA will be what hurts me. In the under/@ 3.0 club. Although it trends upward the last 60 units.

I know its late for this year.

Its for ANY predental student. Good or bad. Although I believe that better students have a better chance over students with lower stats.

Had you applied for this program?

The reason UCSF is not affiliated at this time is because they are working on making another program through UCSF, but they are not really too sure on logistics and stuff yet so they aren't saying much about it at the time. I heard this from my interviewer at UCSF.

Had you applied for this program?

No. It would have been something I'd totally would have to apply. I'm down in SJ so SF isn't that far. 40 minutes or so on a good day.

But yeah sorry for threadcrapping. Just kinda pissed I didn't see anything about this program this year or last.

The reason UCSF is not affiliated at this time is because they are working on making another program through UCSF, but they are not really too sure on logistics and stuff yet so they aren't saying much about it at the time. I heard this from my interviewer at UCSF.

Interesting.

Were you interviewing for dental school?

UCSF will continue to have the post bac program but will no longer be affiliated with SFSU and instead, with another campus.

I just called UCSF and they have not officially decided whether or not they will be affiliated with the new campus.

Although I am certain UCSF will eventually (more likely) begin affiliating with a new campus, it is not accurate to say so as of now tranv117.

Furthermore, the new campus that they MAY affiliate with is UC Berkeley.

Last edited:
Admissions will be sending out first round of Interview Invites next week!!!!! YIKES

The second round will be sent the following week.

Im so nervous.

I just called UCSF and they have not officially decided whether or not they will be affiliated with the new campus.

Although I am certain UCSF will eventually (more likely) begin affiliating with a new campus, it is not accurate to say so as of now tranv117.

Furthermore, the new campus that they MAY affiliate with is UC Berkeley.

I am currently in the program and this is the information we received. What I do know is SFSU will not be "officially" affiliated with UCSF. Whether or not they move to a different campus is still being considered.

All this information is what we've received so take it with a grain of salt.

is there any suspicion why UCSF is detaching itself from this program?

Admissions will be sending out first round of Interview Invites next week!!!!! YIKES

The second round will be sent the following week.

Im so nervous.

Hi All! I applied to the Dental Adjunct Post Bacc program….. I was wondering if anyone knew if the first round of interviews were going out to everyone or just to the Disadvantaged Dental Re-applicant Post Bacc Applicants?

I’m so nervous! I am not a California State resident so I am at a big disadvantage… I am just hoping to be able to get an interview!

Ps- Thanks OAE for all the updates!! Really appreciate it!

As far as Im aware, they will be sending out first round next week for applicants to both programs.

Good luck and hang in there.

Anyone hear anything yet about interviews?

Im so excited and a little scared...lol...

I wonder if theyve sent out rejection letters yet?

Cause if Im rejected, I would atleast like to know instead of waiting around for an interview. :)

I also applied to this post bac program...I'm SO nervous and excited too :) Does anyone know when during the week we hear back? Should we be expecting a phone call or an email?? =)

You should call and ask them, or just email them.. Then let us know when?...

I received an interview invite today!!!!!!!!

I AM ABSOLUTELY ECSTATIC. I know its not an acceptance, but its closer.

I've never been interviewed for an academic program before. Any advice anyone?

and GOOD LUCK to everyone else as well. They'll be sending out a second round of invites next week so don't give up hope.

Me too!!! I got the phone call at 5:58 from Ms. Anchetta!! I'm excited too:D

haha.. love that Big smile!

Opportunity of a Life Time here I come....! If I get in, Im going to milk my classes for every ounce of knowledge I can get into my brain. No more excuse for getting anything lower than A's haha

Did you apply to Adjunct or Disadvantaged?

Nice! Congrats to both of you! I just got my secondary confirmation notice that they're currently reviewing my application right now. So hopefully I'll get the same good news soon too!

I received an interview invite today!!!!!!!!

I AM ABSOLUTELY ECSTATIC. I know its not an acceptance, but its closer.

I've never been interviewed for an academic program before. Any advice anyone?

and GOOD LUCK to everyone else as well. They'll be sending out a second round of invites next week so don't give up hope.

Congrats to on the interview. My only advice would be to relax and just be yourself. It's a little cliche, but really, its all theyre looking for.

THANKS EVERYONE....

tranv117: What was your interview process like? Should I wear a full blown suit and tie?

Thanks

Hey oae! Congrats to you too! Are you going for the interview next Friday at 10AM? I applied for the adjunct program. I don't know if they are doing group interview or by individuals.

Good luck to everyone! I have been checking my email constantly everyday and sdn to get update lol. Honestly I feel like, if I got the interview invite...a lot of you should be getting it. Just give it another day or two :)

If anyone has any other tips besides the "be yourself" one, please feel free to share. Thanks a bunch!

Suit would be good. I didn't own one so had a dress shirt and tie. The interviews are one on one and when i did my interview, it was about a 30-40 minute process. Something like that.

Didn't seem like they were in a rush at all, so for me, I felt very comfortable. Good luck to everyone.

thanks for the advice. What kinds of questions were you asked?

I am in the program as well. It definitely is a wonderful opportunity. Not to ruin any surprises ahead.. I'll end with that, but....I am really glad I did it. For the interview be prepared to be asked the same questions you would be asked during a dental school interview, such as... why do you want to be a dentist? Tell me about yourself, and why do you feel you are a good applicant?...etc. Last years format was most of us got interviewed either (2) one on one's or a two on one. The one on one's were usually a student already in the program and a head coordinator. I had a two on one with the co-director of admissions for UCSF and a wonderful doctor in the program who is awesome. Not sure how many spots you are fighting for this year, hopefully budget cuts are not a program. This program has created so much opportunity for individuals who wouldn't otherwise have had it. Good luck all. Maybe I will see some of you.