OFFICIAL 2010-2011 SFSU/UOP/UCSF Dental Post-Bacc Program applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ive received a phone call saying I have an interview but I was also told we were going to receive a confirmation email as well. I havent received mine yet and was wondering if anyone else has gotten one?

Also, does anyone know how to get in contact with the coordinator? The number she called me from doesnt accept incoming calls and everyone in the advising office doesnt have any information about interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive received a phone call saying I have an interview but I was also told we were going to receive a confirmation email as well. I havent received mine yet and was wondering if anyone else has gotten one?

Also, does anyone know how to get in contact with the coordinator? The number she called me from doesnt accept incoming calls and everyone in the advising office doesnt have any information about interviews.
You probably were not able to make the time that you were invited for. Once they figure out a time for you, then you should receive your confirmation email.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the UCSF School of Dentistry website it states (in bright-yellow highlighted text):

"At this time, the UCSF School of Dentistry is unable to confirm its continued affiliation with the program. However, you may still apply to the program through the San Francisco State University website. We will update this status on this page as more information becomes available."

I wonder what this means :confused: I think I should start looking at some other programs...

Yeah, I don't think UCSF is affiliated with the program anymore. They're moving on to UC Berkeley.

Has anyone who is not from California received an interview invite yet?

I had my interview yesterday, and everyone that was being interviewed was from California. So no out-of-stater's yet atleast.

The interview process was really cool. They had some delicious Noah's Bagel catered breakfast bar set up, and the atmosphere was really positive and no pressure.

Dr. Levin and Dr. Brody were both around, and they were very nice and kind individuals. There was also a lot of current Post-Bacc students there to help answer questions and talk with us. They ALL seemed SUPER HAPPY, as though they were in heaven or something. The post-bacc students were all saying how the program allows them all to be a close knit group and how they all study together and help each other get 4.0 GPA every semester.

Its unfortunate that there are so few spots in the program due to budget cuts and what not, but for those of us who get the opportunity to enroll in the program, we would essentially be on a one-way track to dental school. Simply amazing!

Apparently, I will not find out of my acceptance until after they conduct the second batch of interviews, so Ill have to anxiously wait until the end of this month to find out my status.

Good luck to everyone who will be interviewing or is waiting for an interview.

Yeah, I don't think UCSF is affiliated with the program anymore. They're moving on to UC Berkeley.

Yes It is confirmed.

UCSF has dis-affiliated and will be creating a new program in conjunction with UC Berkeley Extension program.

Frankly, I do not believe that this matters. SFSU's program is already well-established and well-known among the dental school community. Therefore, whether or not UCSF slaps on an official affiliation or not, they will continue to treat post-bacc students from the program with somewhat of a positive approach when reviewing their applications.

Hey all! I just got an interview invite yesterday! I am originally from Philadelphia but have been living in Missouri for the past two years. I have an interview this next saturday...a little nervous. Does anyone know how long after the interview that you would find out if you're accepted or not?

We should be finding out the week after that Saturday in which you are interviewing.

Hey all! I just got an interview invite yesterday! I am originally from Philadelphia but have been living in Missouri for the past two years. I have an interview this next saturday...a little nervous. Does anyone know how long after the interview that you would find out if you're accepted or not?

--AlwaysSunny96, did you apply to the Disadvantaged Program or the Adjunct Program?

Has anyone who is not from California received an interview invite yet?

Hey Billmurray, keep your hope up! There was a girl from Cornell for the interview this past Friday. The people there are very genuine and very supportive of one another to get into dental school. I hope you will hear from them soon :) Good luck!

Hey oae, who were you at the interview? I thought I would meet you there on Friday lol. Well let's hope we impress them well enough to get into the program this summer.

Yes It is confirmed.

UCSF has dis-affiliated and will be creating a new program in conjunction with UC Berkeley Extension program.

Frankly, I do not believe that this matters. SFSU's program is already well-established and well-known among the dental school community. Therefore, whether or not UCSF slaps on an official affiliation or not, they will continue to treat post-bacc students from the program with somewhat of a positive approach when reviewing their applications.

Good to know. I'm hoping they get it setup fast. Maybe starting in the fall. Just in case I don't make it this coming cycle. I don't have to wait till next spring and try SFSU.

But positive thoughts now. "I will make it. I will make it. I will make it." :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still notifying applicants of interview invites?

Bill murray I applied to the adjunct program. Not the disadvantaged. Keep your head up, cuz I found out pretty late....So do they let everyone know at once? Or is it a couple weeks after you have the interview?

Thanks V9UCSD and AlwaysSunny... We'll see how everything works out : )

Last edited:
Is anybody interviewing this week? I am scheduled for an interview on Saturday, which seems like an unusual day to have an interview, but I still haven't received a confirmation e-mail with the details. I just got a phone call...

OMG.... im soooo EXCITED but scared to death for the interview. It is my first interview EVER and I dont know how to prepare for it.
I am trying to calm myself down... I will be having interview on skype this thursday. so I only have like a day to prepare for it... omggggggg
i applied as a disadvantage reapplicant.
any advice for the interview????!!!!

Are they still sending out interview invites this week?

OMG.... im soooo EXCITED but scared to death for the interview. It is my first interview EVER and I dont know how to prepare for it.
I am trying to calm myself down... I will be having interview on skype this thursday. so I only have like a day to prepare for it... omggggggg
i applied as a disadvantage reapplicant.
any advice for the interview????!!!!

Dress appropriately. Just because it skype doesn't mean you can do it in your underwear. If you don't have a suit its fine, dress shirt will do. Kick people out of your house/room if you can. Or get them to be quiet.

Think of it like a job interview. Don't talk to them like you're talking to your friends. I'm annoyed by people who constantly say "you know."

It's a two way street. Don't sit there and just answer questions. Ask some. Be an active participant. But don't drown them out.

I'm assuming you are not local to SF or the bay area. So if you can't think of something you can ask how things are like in SF/bay area.

Even if you live in the bay area unless you live in SF you can get away with asking how things. SF lives in its own little bubble, especially politically.

I think you'll do fine. You're just anxious and want it to start. Once it does you'll probably hit the ground running and things will just come to you.

thank you so much for the advice. I live in florida so i chose the skype interview. as a super late-adapter, i was really amazed at this high-tech method. haha it's ok you can laugh at me
i just downloaded the program and only thing i know is that it is a video-chat format. but i am confused with how the program would actually work for the interview...can please anyone who has been skype interviewed tell me how the interview process worked?

Thank you!!

Does anyone know if they are still inviting for interviews?

i think they might be going in alphabetical order? can anyone confirm this?

there going in order of most impressive/qualified to least impressive/qualified applicants i think.

No the groups are random. There is no order . I don't know where u are getting your info.

I may be wrong then. I just think thats what some people were saying during the interview, but obviously I can not be sure, hence the "i think"

Also, does anyone know if interviews are over? Are there more coming up?

I think they're pretty much done.

I hope we hear back from the school today. Im so anxious to know.

I hope you don't mind me asking...are you part of the program right now to know that they are done interviewing people?

Nope, but I overhead one of the current post bacs saying that this past Sat, was the last day of interviews. I may be wrong.

No, we just finished up 5 interviews today. Not sure if we're done yet...

i hope we hear back this week.... :)

How will be notified of acceptances? Phone call or email?

I got the call this evening! IM FREAKIN EXCITED!

DENTAL SCHOOL HERE I COME.

Anyone else get the call?

I'm happy for you oae. I was the one who started the post bac thread for 2008 and got in. It's a well known fact that thread starters for the incoming program get accepted :laugh: . I helped behind the scenes for this cycle and it is very fulfulling to help out. Let me know future postbacs if you need any advice. Listen to everything Dr. Brody says. If he says jump, ask him how high. I'll be going to Western U this summer.

Yay!!! I got the phone call earlier this afternoon, but forgot my phone at home and I finally got the chance to talk to Ryan and I'm in!!! For those who were invited to the interview, expect a phone call real soon. Good luck! :D

Thanks a lot slashnroses.... And its a good thing I was the thread starter this year... haha...

Congrats V9UCSD... what program are you in: the 1 year or 1 1/2 year?

Congrats V9UCSD... what program are you in: the 1 year or 1 1/2 year?[/QUOTE]

I'm in the 1 1/2 year program..but I'm going to take a shot at DAT this June. What are about you? :)

i just took my DAT and thankfully did well. I got into the 1 year program. Dont know what I need to do this summer since I wont be needing to study for the DAT with the other post-baccs.

I really thought I was going to get into the 1 1/2 year program, so now Im stumped, cause I dont know if I should apply June 3rd, or wait until the end of summer and apply with the rest of the post-bacc students who will be applying after they take their DAT this summer.

Im just stoked to be a part of the program at this point. LOL.

Last edited:
Do you know if you are reapplicant or adjunct?

i just took my DAT and thankfully did well. I got into the 1 year program. Dont know what I need to do this summer since I wont be needing to study for the DAT with the other post-baccs.

I really thought I was going to get into the 1 1/2 year program, so now Im stumped, cause I dont know if I should apply June 3rd, or wait until the end of summer and apply with the rest of the post-bacc students who will be applying after they take their DAT this summer.

Im just stoked to be a part of the program at this point. LOL.

I just recieved the email from Dr. Rothman and it doesn't look like we'll be living in the dorm for the first month. Are there any girl from socal who got accepted into the program? If yes perhaps we can meet up to see if we can live together and find housing together for this July. I'm from OC btw. Please let me know and thanks in advance! :)

Congrats everyone to getting in. I just finished the one year program and was at the interviews interviewing several of you. Just take everything in, work hard and you'll all do fine.

I just checked my e-mail... I got in!
I will be in the 1 1/2 year program. I live about an hour away from San Francisco. Please let me know if anyone is interested in renting a place together.

I just checked my e-mail... I got in!
I will be in the 1 1/2 year program. I live about an hour away from San Francisco. Please let me know if anyone is interested in renting a place together.

Hey Preortho, are you a female by any chance?

@V9UCSD... Yes I'm female and I'm trying to find a place in SF. It would be ideal to rent with post-bac students.

@V9UCSD... Yes I'm female and I'm trying to find a place in SF. It would be ideal to rent with post-bac students.

Yea I know, so we can motivate each other! :D Here's my email [email protected] so we can talk some more about housing if you're still interested.

I can't wait to study hard with all of you who got in!!

I am going to register for which ever classes the program advises me to take, but I currently suspect my tentative class schedule may be: Biochemistry, Physiology, Microbiology, and a fourth science class....?

Any of you have any idea what classes you might be taking.

So i was wondering if there are any other guys in the program who are looking for a place to live?