OFFICIAL 2010-2011 SFSU/UOP/UCSF Dental Post-Bacc Program applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So i was wondering if there are any other guys in the program who are looking for a place to live?

It looks like you're the only guy in the program...I guess you'll be stuck with 18 girls lol =P I think the coordinator will send out an email soon with all of the Fall '10 post-bac students' email so we can talk about housing. I'm disappointed that they decided not to let us dorm for the first month
:(

Members don't see this ad.

haha.. 18 girls and only me... that sounds pretty sweet if you ask me...

lol... jk

But I just got the email from them with all of our information. Hopefully I can figure something out now. The dorms would have been awesome to help us all congregate and figure things out. Dang economy and budget cuts.

What classes are the students in this program taking? How many units per semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry coolslugs for late response but I didnt have answers until now.

The program is very personalized. Every students takes courses based on their needs. Some have to do re-takes, while others take new upper-division sciences courses.

Although there is not an overlap of which classes we take, we do end up choosing some similar classes. For example, this upcoming semester ALOT of us newbies have decided to take Endocrinology class together. I could already imagine us sitting in a pack in the front of the class taking notes together like our life depends on it. lol

We are aloud to take up to 16 unites as full time students. However we will be getting 2 units for a dental colloqium and another 2 units for dental morphology. Both classes count towards our science GPA. So we are left with 12 units worth of classes to choose from. Most student have used these 12 units to take 3-4 science classes of their liking.

Im personally taking Human Physiology, Endocrinology, Biochemistry, and Reproductive Technologies ( in addition to the other two program classes).

The program has been extremely well-structures with great network of support and care. Dr. Brody and Dr. Rothman, the program directors, along with our student program coordinators (wont use their names for privacy reasons) have been waiting on hand and foot every moment to guide us and provide a nurturing environment.

Im truly blessed and grateful for being a part of the program. Its one of a kind. As a matter of fact, its the first post-bacc program of its kind. All other dental post-baccs were established after being motivated by this one.

Anyhow, let me know if you had any other questions.

BTW.... location in San Francisco is also awesome among other things.....

sorry coolslugs for late response but I didnt have answers until now.

The program is very personalized. Every students takes courses based on their needs. Some have to do re-takes, while others take new upper-division sciences courses.

Although there is not an overlap of which classes we take, we do end up choosing some similar classes. For example, this upcoming semester ALOT of us newbies have decided to take Endocrinology class together. I could already imagine us sitting in a pack in the front of the class taking notes together like our life depends on it. lol

We are aloud to take up to 16 unites as full time students. However we will be getting 2 units for a dental colloqium and another 2 units for dental morphology. Both classes count towards our science GPA. So we are left with 12 units worth of classes to choose from. Most student have used these 12 units to take 3-4 science classes of their liking.

Im personally taking Human Physiology, Endocrinology, Biochemistry, and Reproductive Technologies ( in addition to the other two program classes).

The program has been extremely well-structures with great network of support and care. Dr. Brody and Dr. Rothman, the program directors, along with our student program coordinators (wont use their names for privacy reasons) have been waiting on hand and foot every moment to guide us and provide a nurturing environment.

Im truly blessed and grateful for being a part of the program. Its one of a kind. As a matter of fact, its the first post-bacc program of its kind. All other dental post-baccs were established after being motivated by this one.

Anyhow, let me know if you had any other questions.

BTW.... location in San Francisco is also awesome among other things.....

Hi Oae...Do you know what is the average GPA of the students in the program? Are they mostly re-applicants or already had interviews in the previous cycle but did not get in? Also, is it true that if you do well in the program you are pretty much guaranteed a spot in UCSF or UOP?

Although I do not have concrete numbers (since the program doesnt provide that type of information), I can easily say that the average GPA is substantially lower than dental school admission averages.

After all the program is designed to cater to students who want to improve their academic record.

Half the students are reapplicants (Disadvantaged Reapplicant program), and the other half have never applied to dental school (Adjunct program). Most of the reapplicants have not had interviews before. The program ESPECIALLY cares about your story, and the difficulties/challenges you have faced in your lifetime that limited your academic potential. Acceptance doesnt really boil down to grades/DAT like other programs. You also need to be very involved in your community in some way to show that your concerned about helping those around you unconditionally.

Although there is not a guarantee that one will be admitted to either UCSF/UOP, there has been a very HIGH success rate of students from the program going there for dental school. Ofcourse, it is imperative to obtain excellent grades and maintain a productive, healthy agenda while in the program. Id also like to note that more than 90% of this program's students have been accepted into dental school (not just UOP/UCSF), so at the end of the day, this program really helps students get to dental school.

this program sounds like something I might want to apply to.... How competitive is it to get in?

Has anyone had a negative experience?

Yeah I got in this cycle. With the DAT, you take it when you're ready. The DAT prep that they provide begins in June I believe so most people don't take it till about August.
I am applying to dental school next year and looking into a pre-bac program. I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions.
1. Did you take the DAT while finishing the SFSU pre-bac program? If so, was it difficult to work on both at the same time?

2. From your point of view, what are the advantages of enrolling in this or other similar programs?

Thank you,

Jarry