Official 2011-2012 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At member suggestion, this thread has been created as a central location to post all of your questions about your statistics and chances for IM residency. All current WAMC posts and threads in the IM forum have been moved to this thread. Please post all additional WAMC-type questions here.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok...I'll throw my hat in the ring.

DO student, 237, 1 co-authored paper currently being reviewed.

Reaches? Targets?

Ok...I'll throw my hat in the ring.

DO student, 237, 1 co-authored paper currently being reviewed.

Reaches? Targets?

Give us an idea of what you think those programs would be. There are ~300 IM programs in the US...narrow it down to 10-20% of those at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem. I should've mentioned I'm mostly interested in programs in the Chicago, Cleveland, Boston and Philly areas (I have family in each of those areas).

No problem. I should've mentioned I'm mostly interested in programs in the Chicago, Cleveland, Boston and Philly areas (I have family in each of those areas).

OK. Is your Step 1 COMLEX or USMLE? Looking primarily at Univ programs with good fellowship options or interested in community-type places? I don't know much about the community programs in any of those places so I'll focus on Univ programs.

Assuming HP/Honors for core clerkships and H on at least one of either your IM clerkship or SubI, there are very few programs in those places that wouldn't be worth sending your app to.

Boston: I doubt BID or BWH would give you the time of day but MGH might. Tufts and BU are no problem for you. If you widen your geographic region a little, UMass and Brown are also good options.

Philly: Penn is probably a huge reach but there's no real reason not to send them your app. The rest of the places in town (TJ, Temple, Drexel) are good targets. Again, if you widen your search area a bid, I'm a fan of UMDNJ-RWJ.

Chicago: Both UofC and NW are potential reach programs but again, worth applying. The rest of the Chicago Univ programs are well within your reach.

Cleveland: Both Case and CCF are relatively non-competitive for IM.

From the University hospital standpoint, you're looking at 20-ish programs total in those places (<$200). Just throw your app out to all of them and see what happens.

Thanks. Yeah, the 237 was a USMLE step 1 score (237 on the COMLEX would be well below failing lol) and I'm potentially more interested in academic programs with fellowships than community programs.

Do you know of any particular "hidden gem" programs outside of these areas that are potentially worth applying to? I'm not afraid to stray outside these cities if there's a good reason to.

Thanks for your responses.

1st post ever! Hope You guys can help.

US Allopathic Graduate in 2011
Non top 50 Med school
Step 1 237
Step 2 250

One publication in thyroid hormone study
One poster on the way (FAP)
One optho paper on the way

- A Couple of Honors couple in basic sciences-> Pharm and Psychopath

- Honors in OB gyn-> our school doesnt offer High pass. Have come awfully close on most rotations. Our school also doesnt designate honors in SUB I IM. Letter writer said they'd make up for it on their LOR.

-Strong Letters (IM Chair, Sub I DO, Ob gyn Clerkship coord) although I dont know how well known my letter writers are.

-I was thinking about applying mostly out west coast because thats where most of my family is.

Q1) What are my chances in getting into the big dogs in the west -> UW UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, OHSU

Q1) Ive heard when trying to match in cali you have to sacrifice for a program a notch below what youd be able to match outside the state. If thats the case what would be some reasonable programs I should apply further east. What are my chances at Elite: Harvard programs, JHU UPenn Upper tier: Duke UAB, Vandy, Wash U etc etc

If I had chances at these programs I would consider outside of Cali.
Thanks For you help guys!

1st post ever! Hope You guys can help.

US Allopathic Graduate in 2011
Non top 50 Med school
Step 1 237
Step 2 250

One publication in thyroid hormone study
One poster on the way (FAP)
One optho paper on the way

- A Couple of Honors couple in basic sciences-> Pharm and Psychopath

- Honors in OB gyn-> our school doesnt offer High pass. Have come awfully close on most rotations. Our school also doesnt designate honors in SUB I IM. Letter writer said they'd make up for it on their LOR.

-Strong Letters (IM Chair, Sub I DO, Ob gyn Clerkship coord) although I dont know how well known my letter writers are.

-I was thinking about applying mostly out west coast because thats where most of my family is.

Q1) What are my chances in getting into the big dogs in the west -> UW UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, OHSU

Q1) Ive heard when trying to match in cali you have to sacrifice for a program a notch below what youd be able to match outside the state. If thats the case what would be some reasonable programs I should apply further east. What are my chances at Elite: Harvard programs, JHU UPenn Upper tier: Duke UAB, Vandy, Wash U etc etc

It can be hard to break into California, BUT you've got a good enough CV to most certainly get an invite from most California programs, though the people that get invites to UCSF will have applications that look just like yours and probably better. So it's kind of a crap shoot depending on the year. The lack of medicine honors may hurt though, BUT you've got good scores and it sounds like a few good letter on top of publications (be ready to defend why you've got an ophtho paper on your CV applying to medicine if they ask). IMHO, Hopkins can be a bit eclectic in their invitations, so they might send you one, but it's hard to say. I think Mass Gen would probably send you an invite (they have a bigger class to fill), though B&W is much less certain (and they honestly seem to be the most "choosy" of the elite programs). I think your odds of getting an invite from anywhere else in general approach 80-100% depending on the place, so apply to like 30 places with locations you like and see who bites and you can triage your interviews from there.

Thanks. Yeah, the 237 was a USMLE step 1 score (237 on the COMLEX would be well below failing lol) and I'm potentially more interested in academic programs with fellowships than community programs.

Right...good point. Shows you how much I know about COMLEX.

Do you know of any particular "hidden gem" programs outside of these areas that are potentially worth applying to? I'm not afraid to stray outside these cities if there's a good reason to.

When you say "stray outside these cities" how far are you talking about? NYC? Other midwest cities? West Coast?

I will list the programs I thought were excellent and perhaps a little underrated, and were on my own rank list (a long time ago natch). Note that they are all over the country. Some are already listed in my last post. The others are (in no particular order):
MSSM
UW Madison
Dartmouth
Utah
OHSU

It's a bummer that your school only has Honors/Pass but honestly it won't really matter that much, mostly because it's unlikely that you're the only person to ever apply to any particular program from your school and, as such, PDs will be aware of that issue (and it will be mentioned in your MSPE). That said, there are some programs who just won't interview you without honors in your specialty clerkship/subI and there's nothing you can do about it. It's one of the ways that they filter applications. The elites you mention generally fall into that category (including UCSF, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, BID and BWH) but there may be exceptions from year to year. Since there's no way to know who will or won't use honors in IM/SubI as a screening tool, there's no reason not to just go ahead and apply to programs and see what happens.

As for the West Coast programs in general, with the possible UCSF/Stanford exception above, you're very likely to get interviews and be ranked relatively highly by those places.

If you've read any of my previous posts on this subject, you will find that I have one overriding piece of advice that I give that I think is way more important than anything else I (or, quite honestly, anyone else) can tell you on this topic. Applying for residencies is dirt cheap. If you think you might want to go to a program, apply and see what happens. You have nothing to lose but a little bit of money and some ego.

Seriously...30 programs? $315. 40? $565. 50? $815. 100? $2065. The application is the cheapest part of the process. Use that to your advantage.

here's where I stand now coming from an average allopathic med school...

Preclinical: Honors in about 1/2 of the classes.

Clinical: got the dreaded PASS in medicine (SubI is not going to be early enough to be on my transcript, but may be included in my chairman's letter if the evals are submitted in time...not gonna count on that). HP in ob/gyn, surgery, and family med. Honors in psych and peds.

Other: Clinical research experience, but no pubs. Avg EC's, 1-2 leadership positions...nothing special.

Step 1: 235
Step 2CK: 262

Looking for university programs in the south and midwest with decent cards fellowship potential. Thinking about Loyola, UIC, Rush, Cleveland Clinic, Case, University of Florida, Tulane, Wake Forest...hopefully, these are still realistic with the P in IM. Any other programs that fit this list? Also, what do you guys think would be my "reach" programs (I'd be willing to compromise on geography for stronger training/better fellowship potential)? Thanks for the help - G

Clinical: got the dreaded PASS in medicine (SubI is not going to be early enough to be on my transcript, but may be included in my chairman's letter if the evals are submitted in time...not gonna count on that). HP in ob/gyn, surgery, and family med. Honors in psych and peds.

Other: Clinical research experience, but no pubs. Avg EC's, 1-2 leadership positions...nothing special.

Looking for university programs in the south and midwest with decent cards fellowship potential. Thinking about Loyola, UIC, Rush, Cleveland Clinic, Case, University of Florida, Tulane, Wake Forest...hopefully, these are still realistic with the P in IM. Any other programs that fit this list? Also, what do you guys think would be my "reach" programs (I'd be willing to compromise on geography for stronger training/better fellowship potential)? Thanks for the help - G

If I were you, I would also try for places like:
-- UNC
-- Emory
-- UAB
-- UVa
-- Baylor
-- Wisconsin
-- Minnesota
-- Iowa
-- Ohio State

Disclaimer: I don't know what each individual program's cards match list looks like.

You just never can tell. Your Step 2 CK and your solid overall clinical performance show that you're definitely neither an idiot nor a social ******. Be prepared to explain why you got a P in Medicine... was it one of your first rotations?

In all seriousness, though, the jump from 235 --> 262 is definitely going to help you out. Apply broadly - I think someone from the top 25 can and will bite when selecting applicants to interview. Remember, it only takes ONE program.

The Pass in your IM clerkship is a bummer but will not keep you from getting looked at by the programs you listed (or most of the ones that Def listed either although I think UNC, Emory and UAB may ignore you). But again, it's a crap shoot. You've got nothing to lose by applying and I think you're going to be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Pass in your IM clerkship is a bummer but will not keep you from getting looked at by the programs you listed (or most of the ones that Def listed either although I think UNC, Emory and UAB may ignore you). But again, it's a crap shoot. You've got nothing to lose by applying and I think you're going to be fine.

I think the CK makes a statement, and I'd even send an application to Duke. I know peeps who got interviews there with simply high scores, no AOA, no honors.

And I agree with the above, all programs originally listed will send an invite and he should definitely send an application to the programs listed by Def

Be prepared to explain why you got a P in Medicine... was it one of your first rotations?
Yep. It was my first one, and I feel like I've done well since.

I'll definitely look into these other programs. Thanks for the advice guys...really appreciate it!

Long time lurker here. I am wondering what academic programs I have a legitimate shot at.
My step 1 score is 227
Basic science grades 2nd quartile,
Clinical Grades 2-3 quartile, not sure yet
2 poster presentations
Your standard volunteer activities

any input will be appreciated, thanks!!

Long time lurker here. I am wondering what academic programs I have a legitimate shot at.
My step 1 score is 227
Basic science grades 2nd quartile,
Clinical Grades 2-3 quartile, not sure yet
2 poster presentations
Your standard volunteer activities

any input will be appreciated, thanks!!

Obviously you seem to have a realistic approach given your current application, but remember this is IM, so while the tippy top is out, there are still many, many mid-teir university programs that will interview you - though sometimes it's hard to know for sure which ones because they tend to be less predictable sometimes in their invitations. Any ideas about what you'd like to do or where you'd like to live? Or any programs that you find interest in now?

Bottom line you're not down and out by any stretch. You should still find a very nice match.

Obviously you seem to have a realistic approach given your current application, but remember this is IM, so while the tippy top is out, there are still many, many mid-teir university programs that will interview you - though sometimes it's hard to know for sure which ones because they tend to be less predictable sometimes in their invitations. Any ideas about what you'd like to do or where you'd like to live? Or any programs that you find interest in now?

Bottom line you're not down and out by any stretch. You should still find a very nice match.

Thanks a lot for the reply. At this point in time I am leaning towards heme/onc, however I really like general IM as well. Programs I'm looking into are Med Coll of Georgia, MUSC, Wake, U. Maryland, Georgetown, GW, VCU, UF, USF, UMiami, UMich, Thomas jefferson, UMass, UConn, UTenn, UIC, Rush, UTSW, Tufts..
I know it's kind of a random list but I am open to living anywhere.
I guess I'm just not sure which programs are mid tier...
Do i have a shot at Virginia, OHSU, Case, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, Baylor, Brown, vandy, UNC, UAB?

Any solid mid tier recommendations?

thanks

Hi, in terms of getting a heme/onc fellowship later, are some university affiliated community programs better than some university programs. For example, I'm trying to choose 10 programs from the following:

university of arkansas
university of arizona
louisiana state university sheverport
michigan state university
university of louisville
university of kentucky
university of san antonio
university of west virginia
university of tennessee
university of oklahoma
university of toledo
university of albuquerque
university of St. Louis, MO
penn state milton hershey university
st lukes roosevelt/columbia
hennepin county medical center, Mn
washington hospital center/Georgetown
mount auburn/Harvard
caritas st elizabeth/tufts
st francis hospital, evanston (affiliate of UIC)
cook county/rush
northshore, evanston (affiliate of northwestern)
william beaumont, MI
Albert Einstein PA
shadyside pittsburgh

All of these places have in-house heme-onc. While resident at the university programs mainly match at their own university, residents at uni affil programs mostly matched at the affiliated university for heme/onc. Am I getting deceived by the fellowship match lists or do residents at these uni affil programs actually do make better contacts and then do better at fellowships?

I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks

forgot to add:
pennsylvania hospital program/UPenn
Methodist hospital, Houston

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Well respected med school
step 1 - 248
Hp fam med, peds (1st rotation). H in all others so far
Assumed H in AI (Attending reported I was at Intern level now)
Largely 95-99 percentile for shelf tests (I doubt this is important)
Case report published in NEJM (1st author)
The usual research, extracurriculars (non-profit co-founder that's still functioning)
Assumed strong recs from the attending I wrote the paper with, AI attending, MGH grad I worked with, and Department chair

I'm aiming for the top tier programs in boston, ny, phili, balt, possible duke/unc

Thanks for your comments guys/girls.

Brigham will be the toughest hurdle for you to clear.

MGH, UPenn, Hopkins, Columbia, Duke - You'll probably get interviews from most of these. I say 1 or 2 max will randomly not offer you one. Hard to tell which ones.

BIDMC, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, UNC - Likely interviews.

The rest is gravy.

Emphasize your research activity and nonprofit work on your application. The big variable here is what you mean by "well-respected medical school", because a Top 10 med school applicant will be treated differently than one from a Top 50 school.

Brigham will be the toughest hurdle for you to clear.

MGH, UPenn, Hopkins, Columbia, Duke - You'll probably get interviews from most of these. I say 1 or 2 max will randomly not offer you one. Hard to tell which ones.

BIDMC, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, UNC - Likely interviews.

The rest is gravy.

Emphasize your research activity and nonprofit work on your application. The big variable here is what you mean by "well-respected medical school", because a Top 10 med school applicant will be treated differently than one from a Top 50 school.

Thanks for your input. Definitely not a top 10 med school. More like a top 30 med school that has a better reputation because of the undergrad name lol. I agree the Brigham will be tough. I've been told by the Dean (my advisor) that we don't do well at the Brigham and Columbia for unknown reasons.

I agree the Brigham will be tough. I've been told by the Dean (my advisor) that we don't do well at the Brigham and Columbia for unknown reasons.

Because those programs are run by pretentious fame whoring d-bags? I'm just guessing here.

Seriously, with your stats, you can expect interviews at 99% of the places you apply. Don't sweat it and just laugh at any rejections you get.

Hey, just got my step 1 score back, 193/78:(. I'm from a top 25 US med school, just started 3rd year.

What are my chances to get into a university-based IM program?

Any programs you can recommend?

Thanks a lot!

American citizen. FMG. Step I-238, Step-II-258
no research since undergrad
american LORs
Looking East Coast IM programs, University or University Affiliated.
assuming Duke, UNC, Columbia, etc are out, but whats a good reach?

Because those programs are run by pretentious fame whoring d-bags? I'm just guessing here.

Seriously, with your stats, you can expect interviews at 99% of the places you apply. Don't sweat it and just laugh at any rejections you get.

Haha ya that might be the truth. Who knows? Thanks for the encouragement and nice comment. I appreciate your perspective.

Thanks a lot for the reply. At this point in time I am leaning towards heme/onc, however I really like general IM as well. Programs I'm looking into are Med Coll of Georgia, MUSC, Wake, U. Maryland, Georgetown, GW, VCU, UF, USF, UMiami, UMich, Thomas jefferson, UMass, UConn, UTenn, UIC, Rush, UTSW, Tufts..

You should be fine for most these programs. UMich is probably out of your league to be honest, and UTSW might be tougher on than Michigan (and based on gossip, I'm having a hard time recommending it, all other things being equal).

I know it's kind of a random list but I am open to living anywhere.
I guess I'm just not sure which programs are mid tier...

Mid-tier is essentially pretty much any university, non-community program, not in the SDN "top thirty". ;)

Do i have a shot at Virginia, OHSU, Case, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, Baylor, Brown, vandy, UNC, UAB?

Case, CCF, Brown, and maybe UAB are within reach, the rest I don't think so

Any solid mid tier recommendations?

thanks

Sure. Loma Linda, Utah, UofArizona, UT-SanAntone, A&M, Creighton, Loyola, SLU, Tulane . . . I'm sure there are other fine solid mid-tier spots, but these are some I'm more familiar with and suggest you check out.

Hi, in terms of getting a heme/onc fellowship later, are some university affiliated community programs better than some university programs. For example, I'm trying to choose 10 programs from the following:

university of arkansas
university of arizona
louisiana state university sheverport
michigan state university
university of louisville
university of kentucky
university of san antonio
university of west virginia
university of tennessee
university of oklahoma
university of toledo
university of albuquerque
university of St. Louis, MO
penn state milton hershey university
st lukes roosevelt/columbia
hennepin county medical center, Mn
washington hospital center/Georgetown
mount auburn/Harvard
caritas st elizabeth/tufts
st francis hospital, evanston (affiliate of UIC)
cook county/rush
northshore, evanston (affiliate of northwestern)
william beaumont, MI
Albert Einstein PA
shadyside pittsburgh

All of these places have in-house heme-onc. While resident at the university programs mainly match at their own university, residents at uni affil programs mostly matched at the affiliated university for heme/onc. Am I getting deceived by the fellowship match lists or do residents at these uni affil programs actually do make better contacts and then do better at fellowships?

I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks

Heme/onc can be a tough match. I'm not sure what the problem is with a match at a home institution? Where a person ends up for fellowship is a complicated thing, and simply because someone matches at their home program doesn't mean that they couldn't match anywhere else.

Hey, just got my step 1 score back, 193/78:(. I'm from a top 25 US med school, just started 3rd year.

What are my chances to get into a university-based IM program?

Any programs you can recommend?

Thanks a lot!

You should still be fine for a university IM match. Willing to go anywhere?

You should still be fine for a university IM match. Willing to go anywhere?

Thank you for the reply! I'm hoping to go somewhere in East coast: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Verginia. If these places are not possible, I'm ok with a university based-IM anywhere in the U.S.

Us img.
British grad top 20 med school (if that counts)
Step 1 238/99
Step 2 244/99
Looking to do nephrology fellowship further down the line

For the moment I'm looking at
Ucla
USC
Ucsd
Kaiser socal/ nor cal
Emory
U wash
George Washington

Oh btw is not having an honors in medicine really bad? Only about 40 people in my year of 400 got honors and I wasn't one of them.

So let say I have average board scores 215-225 on both step 1 and 2, or average to slightly above average comlex scores without taking the usmle (haven't taken either yet), where do you think I can apply if I get a Pass during 3rd year IM, along with some honors and hp's in other cores and electives. Some research w/o pubs and strong lor's.

Thank you for the reply! I'm hoping to go somewhere in East coast: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Verginia. If these places are not possible, I'm ok with a university based-IM anywhere in the U.S.

I'm not as familiar with all of the NYC programs, and I know there are many, but most are community programs - I think I can safely say that Cornell, Columbia, MSSM, and probably NYU are out - I'm sure their "affiliated" programs would interview you but those are largely community programs. The multiple SUNY programs are probably a good bet as well as Rochester if you're willing to live up there. The NJ programs should be within reach and UMDNJ-RWJ is rumored to be really good. In Penn, UPenn is out, but everything else should be a go. And as far as university based programs in Virginia, I think they may be out for you.

Now all of this kind of assumes no other glaring problems on an otherwise fairly normal application. It's easy to apply so apply broadly and don't be afraid to throw more than a few reach programs in, but be realistic.

Good luck.

Us img.
Step 1 238/99
Step 2 244/99

Ucla
USC
Ucsd
Kaiser socal/ nor cal
Emory
U wash
George Washington

Oh btw is not having an honors in medicine really bad? Only about 40 people in my year of 400 got honors and I wasn't one of them.

Hmmmmm. Kind of an interesting list. Any reason for GW and the Kaiser's?

So let say I have average board scores 215-225 on both step 1 and 2, or average to slightly above average comlex scores without taking the usmle (haven't taken either yet), where do you think I can apply if I get a Pass during 3rd year IM, along with some honors and hp's in other cores and electives. Some research w/o pubs and strong lor's.

You can apply to mid tier university programs - your milage will vary because some places have a hard on for DOs. It's hard for us to keep making exhaustive lists. It might be more helpful to the discussion to have a list in mind, as in you've thought about it a bit, done some research into places . . .

Hello all, I would appreciate any direction offered. I'm a Caribbean IMG, US citizen with the following stats:

Step1 238, CS pass, CK - pending. Hope to have Step 3 done by Dec. No ECFMG certification.

Grades: B in surgery and an A in all other clerkships, incl IM Sub-I (our school does not use H/HP for clerkships). I've done 2 away rotations at a top university hospital in the South in Derm and Endocrine, if that adds anything. No honor society memberships, unless some serious consideration given towards a fb membership of the hollywood upstairs medical college.

Research: 1 publication, 1 poster and 2 papers in submission and 2 ongoing small scale studies. I will be a sub-investigator in a large clinical trial in the following weeks and hope to have one more paper in submission by the time Sept 1 rolls around.

My goal is a strong university program in the northeast with a fellowship track, ideally in an urban setting. Naturally, I will apply broadly and will include many community programs. Matching in NYC or Boston would be a dream come true. Any advice on programs that would be a definite no go and programs that I have a shot at? I've heard good things about the Rochester IM program...and that's about it =/

Thanks in advance and good luck!!

Last edited:
Hmmmmm. Kind of an interesting list. Any reason for GW and the Kaiser's?

Haha i know. My list is a bit all over the place. Being an img im not that familiar with the reputations of the individual programs but I'm going by 1. Whether they're vaguely img-friendly and 2. I really want to stay in California hence the kaisers but I'm willing to leave California for a good university program.

IMG (Canadian). scored 222/95 on step 1. wondering what my chances are for matching into IM or FM.

It might be more helpful to the discussion to have a list in mind, as in you've thought about it a bit, done some research into places . . .

What he said. And not just for the previous poster, but for everybody in this thread. There are 372 IM residency program in this country...don't expect people to dig through them and make a list for you. Make a list for yourself then run it up the flagpole and see who salutes.

IMG (Canadian). scored 222/95 on step 1. wondering what my chances are for matching into IM or FM.

Canadian grad or Canadiribbean grad?

Your chances of matching into some IM or FM program is just fine regardless of the answer. But the tier of program you can match to will be dependent on it.

Canadian grad or Canadiribbean grad?

Your chances of matching into some IM or FM program is just fine regardless of the answer. But the tier of program you can match to will be dependent on it.

thanks for the reply. Canadian-carribean grad.

Us img.
Step 1 238/99
Step 2 244/99

Ucla
USC
Ucsd
Kaiser socal/ nor cal
Emory
U wash
George Washington

Bump. Anyone?? What tier should I be aiming for? Oh and I have 2 months usce externship

Hello all, I would appreciate any direction offered. I'm a Caribbean IMG, US citizen with the following stats:

Step1 238, CS pass, CK - pending. Hope to have Step 3 done by Dec. No ECFMG certification.

Grades: B in surgery and an A in all other clerkships, incl IM Sub-I (our school does not use H/HP for clerkships). I've done 2 away rotations at a top university hospital in the South in Derm and Endocrine, if that adds anything. No honor society memberships, unless some serious consideration given towards a fb membership of the hollywood upstairs medical college.

Research: 1 publication, 1 poster and 2 papers in submission and 2 ongoing small scale studies. I will be a sub-investigator in a large clinical trial in the following weeks and hope to have one more paper in submission by the time Sept 1 rolls around.

My goal is a strong university program in the northeast with a fellowship track, ideally in an urban setting. Naturally, I will apply broadly and will include many community programs. Matching in NYC or Boston would be a dream come true. Any advice on programs that would be a definite no go and programs that I have a shot at? I've heard good things about the Rochester IM program...and that's about it =/

Thanks in advance and good luck!!

Honestly, really hard to say, though being a US citizen will help some. The opinions of PDs about carib grads is variable, but other than that your CV seems ai'ight to pretty good. Apply broadly and you shouldn't have an ultimate problem finding a university match somewhere and I don't think the NE is out of the question, though it's difficult to predict.

Haha i know. My list is a bit all over the place. Being an img im not that familiar with the reputations of the individual programs but I'm going by 1. Whether they're vaguely img-friendly and 2. I really want to stay in California hence the kaisers but I'm willing to leave California for a good university program.

I think you've got a good CV, and while you did medical school in the UK, you are a US citizen, so no visa issues, and I think you'v got an interesting application and likely will get more than a few invites from California programs.

Hey Guys! Just another 4th year about to start the application process and wondering about what my chances are of matching at places in the South-East.

I am an AMG, middle tier med school, pre-clinical rank in the bottom 2/3rds (had a rough start to med school), 3rd year rank in top 20% (Honors in Internal Medicine, Ob-Gyn, Psych, Neurology clerkships), 4th year (Honors in Medicine ICU, Medicine Sub-I in progress). I guess it's important to note that my med school did just Honors, Pass and Fail for rotations 3rd year (no high-pass).

Step 1: 224/96 :(
Step 2: 257/99 :)

Will have decent letter's of recommendation, one from a senior faculty member who is well-known and another from my current Attending on my Sub-I who is the director of the Primary Care Track for the IM residency program at our institution. Research in undergrad, no publications; no research during medical school but do have some international work (over summer after first year). I think I want to pursue a fellowship in Hem-Onc>>GI>Rheum after my IM residency.

Looking at the following places (mostly in the South-East):
MUSC, VCU, Vandy, UVA, Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, Georgetown, George Washington, UAB, UMichigan, UF (Gainesville), Emory, Louisville.

What are my realistic changes of getting an interview at these places? What other places do you guys recommend I look at (especially in my geographical region of interest)? Any other places in my reach that I should definitely include even though they fall out of South-East?

Thanks for the help!

Hey Guys! Just another 4th year about to start the application process and wondering about what my chances are of matching at places in the South-East.

I am an AMG, middle tier med school, pre-clinical rank in the bottom 2/3rds (had a rough start to med school), 3rd year rank in top 20% (Honors in Internal Medicine, Ob-Gyn, Psych, Neurology clerkships), 4th year (Honors in Medicine ICU, Medicine Sub-I in progress). I guess it's important to note that my med school did just Honors, Pass and Fail for rotations 3rd year (no high-pass).

Step 1: 224/96 :(
Step 2: 257/99 :)

Will have decent letter's of recommendation, one from a senior faculty member who is well-known and another from my current Attending on my Sub-I who is the director of the Primary Care Track for the IM residency program at our institution. Research in undergrad, no publications; no research during medical school but do have some international work (over summer after first year). I think I want to pursue a fellowship in Hem-Onc>>GI>Rheum after my IM residency.

Looking at the following places (mostly in the South-East):
MUSC, VCU, Vandy, UVA, Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, Georgetown, George Washington, UAB, UMichigan, UF (Gainesville), Emory, Louisville.

What are my realistic changes of getting an interview at these places? What other places do you guys recommend I look at (especially in my geographical region of interest)? Any other places in my reach that I should definitely include even though they fall out of South-East?

Thanks for the help!

Vandy and Michigan are definite maybes (though your step 2 and honors helps a lot), but I think you get an invite everywhere else on your list, especially if you're from the south, and I'm including Duke (they seem to be the most permissive in their invites for a top 10 program)

I might suggest also sending an application to UofMaryland

Vandy and Michigan are definite maybes (though your step 2 and honors helps a lot), but I think you get an invite everywhere else on your list, especially if you're from the south, and I'm including Duke (they seem to be the most permissive in their invites for a top 10 program)

I might suggest also sending an application to UofMaryland

Ah.. almost forgot Maryland! do the residents train around College Park or B'more because B'more might be a deal breaker, have heard too many horror stories from my friend who lived there for a few months after college.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I really like Vandy, I hope I somehow get an interview there. :xf: Excited to hear that Duke is a little easier than other top-10 places to get interviews, I am definitely from the South and would be ecstatic to interview there.

Ah.. almost forgot Maryland! do the residents train around College Park or B'more because B'more might be a deal breaker, have heard too many horror stories from my friend who lived there for a few months after college.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I really like Vandy, I hope I somehow get an interview there. :xf: Excited to hear that Duke is a little easier than other top-10 places to get interviews, I am definitely from the South and would be ecstatic to interview there.

I'm not up on my Baltimore and surrounding area geography :D

We'll have to see if someone more familiar with the area chimes in

Status
Not open for further replies.