Official 2011-2012 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top 50 school in Southeast, from CA originally
Step I/II: both upper 250s
Did decently well in medicine/peds/psych, but probably not stellar (P/F grading system)
Average in surgery/ob gyn
no AOA
Still need to do sub-i
will have 2-3 publications(published+submitted)
good range extracurriculars

If I apply to my home institution plus about 20ish top tier programs in liberal/diverse/urban areas (3 Harvard programs, Penn, Yale, Brown, the 4 top NYC programs, Hopkins, Univ. Chicago, 5-6 top CA programs, UW, Duke/UNC, Emory, UTSW....),

Would I get 10ish interviews? And match in one of those programs preferably not in my home institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Did decently well in medicine/peds/psych, but probably not stellar (P/F grading system)
no AOA
Still need to do sub-i

If I apply to my home institution plus about 20ish top tier programs in liberal/diverse/urban areas (3 Harvard programs, Penn, Yale, Brown, the 4 top NYC programs, Hopkins, Univ. Chicago, 5-6 top CA programs, UW, Duke/UNC, Emory, UTSW....),

Would I get 10ish interviews? And match in one of those programs preferably not in my home institution?

Top 50 school, but no AOA. I think that hurts a little. The lack of honors hurts - even if you don't have an "honors" grade, it hurts. Obviously, you have good step scores, and the publications help. Apply to 20 and you probably get 10, likely more. The Brigham will still be tough - I personally think they are the most selective off all the elite programs, followed by UCSF.

Other considerations, Yale is in a craphole, though the program sounds pretty good. We have one semi-regular poster in this forum there and he/she likes it. It's also been said that friends don't let friends go to UTSW. We also have another semi-regular poster there, and he seems to not think it's so bad per posts here, but the program got some bad gossip (unsubstantiated - though where there is smoke there is usually some fire). Brown is, by reputation a nice program with good fellowship match, but it's not considered generally a tippy-top place for IM. I'm not saying don't send applications or go to interviews at any of those places, but just kind of an FYI.

Hello everyone! I'm another 4th year who'd like to join the fun. Here are my stats:

Step 1: 229/99
Step 2: pending
- no AOA

3rd Year Clerkship Honors: none (I promise I'm not a tool, ...just didn't make the cut)
Class Rank: top 1/3
Medical School: lowest tier
Research: some experience, no publications
LORs: good
Work experience/volunteering, etc: average

I'm applying to IM residencies, leaning towards practicing general IM but I'd like to end up in a program with good Heme/Onc placement (just in case).

Tentative List (copied and pasted from FRIEDA):

University of Washington (Boise)
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
University of New Mexico
University of Nevada School of Medicine (Las Vegas)
University of Iowa
University of Colorado Denver
University of Arizona
St Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center (Phoenix, AZ)
Providence Health & Services-Oregon/St Vincent Hospital and Medical Center Providence Health & Services-Oregon/Providence Medical Center
Oregon Health & Science University
Maricopa Medical Center (Phoenix, AZ)
Legacy Emanuel Hospital and Health Center (Portland, OR)
Exempla St Joseph Hospital Program (Denver, CO)
College of Medicine Mayo Clinic (Arizona)
Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center (Phoenix, AZ)
Virginia Mason Medical Center (Seattle, WA)
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine-Tulsa
University of Nevada School of Medicine
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
University of Wisconsin

Thanks for the help!!!

I recieved my Step 2 score today: 252/99

Would anyone like to tackle my list and break it into tiers? Which schools do you think are most realistic (based on stats above) and which are my biggest reaches? Thanks again for any comments/advice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mid Tier School
Step 1: 257/99
Step 2: pending
Basic Science: All H but 1 course
Clinicals: Honors in Med, Surg, Neuro, Family, Psych. High Pass in Peds and OB
Shelf grades were all >94th percentile, Medicine 97th percentile
1 publication in ENT In Press
On-going involvement in GI research
Master of Arts in Biology - no publication, literature review thesis
Not Junior AOA, but senior AOA is hopeful still (*crosses fingers*)
Nice track record of involvement in teaching: Adjunct Lecturer at the college I did my Masters teaching Chemistry, heavy involvement in anatomy teaching in medical school.

I am interested in GI and have every desire to stay in New York for family and life reasons. My list thus far:

Columbia
Cornell
Mount Sinai
NYU
AECOM
Downstate
Stony Brook
AECOM Beth Israel
NYMC at Westchester
North Shore LIJ
St Lukes Roosevelt
UConn
Yale
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
MGH
BIDMC
BW
UPenn
Brown

I have many more programs that I have gathered from FREIDA, and I will probably send applications to more, but in the end they probably won't play much role in my ranking, so I would like to focus on the important part of my list.

My goal is the stay in NYC, as I said before, so I am most interested in my standings with the big NYC programs. But, I am definitely interested in taking my chances with the other major east coast schools (JH, MHG, etc...). I know people will tell me I have a good chance at getting interviews at lots of programs, and then my real problem will be making a rank order that either prioritizes NYC over shots at top 10-20 programs vs ranking the best and hoping I end up at a NYC best.

I guess what I'd really like to know is if there is a strong likelihood that I will in fact end up matching at a top program and how much of a safety net do I need to leave myself. I will interview at as many 'safety' NYC programs as I need to, and out of NYC is just places I would even consider leaving NY to train at. Do I have a shot at MHG/BW/JH/Columbia type programs? Am I in a "very strong" position to get Columbia/Sinai/Cornell/NYU? That is REALLY what I want.

What would guys and girls do if you really wanted to be in NY and knew your spouse would be happiest (and thus you) if you kept your family and social support network close, but also had high career aspirations and wanted to train at the best possible institution. I have no problem putting Columbia/Sinai/Cornell/NYU over any other big name program, but after that I am really confused as to what is best. Yea, I know, its my life and I have to decide what is most important to me...

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Difficulty in obtaining the interview is, starting from the hardest:

Brigham
UPenn = MGH = Columbia
Hopkins
Cornell = Yale = BIDMC = Sinai
NYU +/- Brown
The rest...

I think you answer your question(s) within your post. Sounds like you know what you want, at least for now. Apply broadly geographically anyway, and see if any of the Top 20 programs you apply to can blow you away. They might. Go from there.

A. sorry for the absence, was lost amid the unit to start JAR year. JDH, I know you missed me from the above posts.
B. Elven - your interviews, sans a H in medicine, will come down to your school's rep, methinks. Your scores will get you in the door most places, but pass/fail clerkships are somewhat offputting (even the "vaunted Yale system" has done semblance of third

...whoops.

Cont'd: of third year grades. Look at where your school has done well historically among those programs and prepare to interview there. Would think Brown, UNC, NYU, UTSW, UCSD, Emory would be pretty safe bets - Sinai as well, as they had a much-worse-than-expected match this year (new pd) and will likely over compensate. Yale, Cornell, BI, UChicago, UCLA, Duke, UW crowd you'll prob nab more than a few, depending on your med school. Would expect Columbia, Penn and the big four to be stretches, although MGH/JHH are occ unpredictable.
C. Diagnosis - if you're from nyc to start, I suspect all the city programs plus Yale are open to you. For GI, Columbia, Cornell and Sinai will leave all doors open. Be happy, and don't worry about Boston and SF. Your life is too important to blindly ignore.

Last thing, diagnosis - with AOA, I'd imagine everything but BWH/MGH will be locks (plus minus Penn, which as Def has put it is definitely a picky eater). Columbia would be where I'd aim, with Cornell/Yale (if you like CT)/Sinai close behind. You will close no doors coming from Columbia - and you will be exceptionally well trained, albiet scutted out on more than one occasion. ;)

Last thing, diagnosis - with AOA, I'd imagine everything but BWH/MGH will be locks (plus minus Penn, which as Def has put it is definitely a picky eater). Columbia would be where I'd aim, with Cornell/Yale (if you like CT)/Sinai close behind. You will close no doors coming from Columbia - and you will be exceptionally well trained, albiet scutted out on more than one occasion. ;)

thanks for the input G&B/def. I am from NYC and my school has done quite well at Columbia the past few years actually; so that is a confidence booster. A couple matched there without AOA even. I know that Columbia is the best program overall, but I would be humbly honored to go to any of the other 3 quality NYC programs....in fact, I have my eye set on Sinai. I have always had a great gut feeling and vibe about the place. If I get a good feeling about my fit there, I'll be really happy. I think my wife would be much happier living there than by Columbia. I plan on being true to myself with ranking and not being subject to ranking based on reputation alone. I will achieve my career goals from any of these quality programs.

I am really hoping that AOA comes to fruition. That would be very awesome.

Last edited:
I thought MSSM was the tits for GI in NYC? It's not that Cornell and Columbia aren't fine places to train with good GI matches but if I remember correctly MSSM owns for GI.

I thought MSSM was the tits for GI in NYC? It's not that Cornell and Columbia aren't fine places to train with good GI matches but if I remember correctly MSSM owns for GI.

That's my understanding....

Columbia - Cards
MSSM - GI
Cornell - Heme/Onc

I don't think anybody has problems achieving their goals from any of the above

I recieved my Step 2 score today: 252/99

Would anyone like to tackle my list and break it into tiers? Which schools do you think are most realistic (based on stats above) and which are my biggest reaches? Thanks again for any comments/advice!!

I think you probably nail all of those interviews. You won't be able to go to them all. With that step 2, you might consider another reach program or two.

I'd also add University of Minnesota. If you're willing to go to Madison, I don't see why you would mind the Twin Cities (it's like the Portland of the Plains)

thanks for the input G&B/def. I am from NYC and my school has done quite well at Columbia the past few years actually; so that is a confidence booster. A couple matched there without AOA even. I know that Columbia is the best program overall, but I would be humbly honored to go to any of the other 3 quality NYC programs....in fact, I have my eye set on Sinai. I have always had a great gut feeling and vibe about the place. If I get a good feeling about my fit there, I'll be really happy. I think my wife would be much happier living there than by Columbia. I plan on being true to myself with ranking and not being subject to ranking based on reputation alone. I will achieve my career goals from any of these quality programs.

I am really hoping that AOA comes to fruition. That would be very awesome.

Dude...you're going to be a lock getting interviews at pretty much any of the places on your list (especially if you get AOA). And if you don't? F**k 'em.

Besides MSSM is far and away the most pleasant and friendly program on your list and it has awesome GI. It was my #2 lo these many years ago (I matched #1) and I would have been psyched to be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you probably nail all of those interviews. You won't be able to go to them all. With that step 2, you might consider another reach program or two.

I'd also add University of Minnesota. If you're willing to go to Madison, I don't see why you would mind the Twin Cities (it's like the Portland of the Plains)

MSP is awesome. UMinn was kind of a disappointment. YMMV of course. Madison would have made my top 3 if not for my wife's hatred of dirty hippies.

Funny you'd mention it. My wife was pushing for me to add UofM to my list today too, and I'm a big Vikings fan so maybe I'll give it the nod.

With my step 1 of 229, how much of a prayer would you think Iowa, OHSU, Mayo (Arizona), and UC Denver are? I'm thinking I could miss the initial cut if they toss applications <230 (which is really too bad considering my step 2 score)

Also, did you see any programs on my list that raise red flags for being "malignant" or otherwise? Thanks again!

With my step 1 of 229, how much of a prayer would you think Iowa, OHSU, Mayo (Arizona), and UC Denver are? I'm thinking I could miss the initial cut if they toss applications <230 (which is really too bad considering my step 2 score)

None of those places will automatically screen you for a Step 1 score of 229...199 maybe.

Man...the "230+ or die" crowd is in full effect this year.

Funny you'd mention it. My wife was pushing for me to add UofM to my list today too, and I'm a big Vikings fan so maybe I'll give it the nod.

Also, did you see any programs on my list that raise red flags for being "malignant" or otherwise? Thanks again!

We haven't heard much about Colorado in the last few years (though last I did hear, and it was gossip, the place was kind of malignant - unsubstantiated), but I don't think you're out of the running for any of those places, OHSU is the bigger stretch, IMHO.

Is it ever. :laugh:

It's like PA up in here.

"OMG! I got a 43S and an A- in Orgo 2...I'm going to have to go Carib, right?"

leads to...

"OMG! I got a 228 Step I, Honors in all my clerkships but high pass on my subI...I have 6 pubs including 2 first author nature papers and I'm AOA...I'm going to have to settle for a rural FM program, right?"

Hey guys. Step 1=215 Step 2= 225. Bs in almost all clinical rotation and A in medicine JI. Based on your earlier comments, here is my tentative list. I want to if I I can expect interviews from these places or if they are reach for me.

Loyola
Rush
UIC
UChicago- far reach
Nwestern- far reach
SUNY
NYU- reach?
Wake
BU
Case Western
Vandy- far reach
Cedars-sinai
GW- reach?
Georgetown
Emory- far reach
UMiami
UCin
Cleveland Clinic

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys. Step 1=215 Step 2= 225. Bs in almost all clinical rotation and A in medicine JI. Based on your earlier comments, here is my tentative list. I want to if I I can expect interviews from these places or if they are reach for me.

Loyola
Rush
UIC
UChicago- far reach
Nwestern- far reach
SUNY
NYU- reach?
Wake
BU
Case Western
Vandy- far reach
Cedars-sinai
GW- reach?
Georgetown
Emory- far reach
UMiami
UCin
Cleveland Clinic

Thanks for the help!

Looks like a good/solid list. GW is NOT a reach. I might also send an app to these other programs in what appears to be your regional preference: Pitt (getting more competitive every year, great program), Indiana, Ohio State, UofKentucky, Louisville, MUSC, UofMaryland, Temple, Drexel, Brown, Tufts

Loyola
Rush
UIC
UChicago- far reach
Nwestern- far reach
SUNY
NYU- reach?
Wake
BU
Case Western
Vandy- far reach
Cedars-sinai
GW- reach?
Georgetown
Emory- far reach
UMiami
UCin
Cleveland Clinic

Thanks for the help!

You've got a pretty good handle on what to expect given your app. GW is a joke not a reach and Cedars is probably a stretch but otherwise you're pretty spot on.

Given your geographic predilections, I'd add:
UMinn
UW-Madison (reach?..maybe, but whatever)
SLU
Case
AECOM (way better than any of the 3 SUNY programs)
MSSM...maybe a reach but about the best place on your, or my list
UMDNJ-RWJ
Jefferson
Pitt (Maybe a reach)
UC-Irvine
(If you want to be in SoCal - UCLA Olive View and LLU are options also)

no AOA
Still need to do sub-i

Other thoughts? Should I include more programs just in case?

I also started researching Stanford, UCSD, LA County Harbor, and Emory. These 4 has some warning signs? Stanford has mediocre clinical training, and the other 3 work you to death?

I also started researching Stanford, UCSD, LA County Harbor, and Emory. These 4 has some warning signs? Stanford has mediocre clinical training, and the other 3 work you to death?

You probably don't need to include any more programs. I'd toss Harbor, simply because you'd be wasting your time and theirs. No way they'd end up high enough on your rank list to matter. What we've been hearing about Emory lately has been more positive - maybe they are making some improvements there? You can search for the "Stanford thread" on the main page - there seems to be some interesting behind the scenes kind of stuff at Stanford. UCSD, I haven't heard anything good or bad about the residency program itself - in fact, I'm not sure anything from there has ever admitted it in their postings here. Either way, I think I'd still check out Emory, UCSD, and Stanford if they sent me an invite. It's no real skin off your ass to send them an application.

Green Card IMG 242,252 but old graduate with no significant experience due to problems back home. Can anyone suggest programs that will likely to consider my application thanks!

Green Card IMG 242,252 but old graduate with no significant experience due to problems back home. Can anyone suggest programs that will likely to consider my application thanks!

Define "old." Are you out 2, 5 or 10 years? I assume no USCE? Aim real, real low.

I attached a list with the list of schools I am applying to. It shows my "preliminary rank." The top 18 are basically the USNEWS rankings. 19-33 are my rankings combined with what I have read on SDN. 34-39 are programs that I will be applying to based on location. But the other columns list roughly the amount of categorical spots and the cumulative amount of spots between the programs (i.e. MGH had 45 spots, BWH had 48 spots, therfore the cumulatuve is 93).

By looking at Charting the Outcomes, there are ~3000 US grads applying to internal medicine. Using this number and my step one score compared to the 225ish average, I placed myself between 600-800 in terms of competitiveness. I thought it would be fun to see where I stand in my head :laugh: With my list, I am hoping that the following schools interview and rank me: Vandy, UTSW, Pitt, Northwestern, BIDMC, Cornell, UChicago, NYU, MSSM, and UCSD. Interestingly, my top 2: NU and UChicago are in there.

See where you "stand." I wonder if this will hold true during interview season. Have fun!

Edit: For the amount of spots, I used ERAS and the Department websites. Sometimes it was guesswork since I had to subtract the amount of prelims, etc. But I think they are correct, +/- 10-15%.

Attachments

• IM list.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Define "old." Are you out 2, 5 or 10 years? I assume no USCE? Aim real, real low.

I am between 5 to 10, I have one year observer and all 3 us lors. how low... hard to know:confused:

My coordinator told me my 4th year Sub I grade probably won't be seen by residencies, since my school cuts it off at end of 3rd year. Even the deans letter won't include any 4th year grades, which is bogus since I am a DO student and I did my sub I rotation at a big Academic Allo program and worked hard to get Honors. Is this how it goes for everyone? Should I just mention during interview that I got honors on my Sub I?

My coordinator told me my 4th year Sub I grade probably won't be seen by residencies, since my school cuts it off at end of 3rd year. Even the deans letter won't include any 4th year grades, which is bogus since I am a DO student and I did my sub I rotation at a big Academic Allo program and worked hard to get Honors. Is this how it goes for everyone? Should I just mention during interview that I got honors on my Sub I?

That sucks. Did you get a sub-I letter? That should suffice more than seeing an honors. Can't you just send an updated transcript with an Honors through ERAS?

That sucks. Did you get a sub-I letter? That should suffice more than seeing an honors. Can't you just send an updated transcript with an Honors through ERAS?

Many schools, like the one I went to, will send your transcript out once and only once. Sometimes they decide when that is and sometimes they let you choose.

I wouldntg stress about it. Get an LOR from the subI that includes a mention of your grade and you'll be fine.

How much do the top tier programs care about research and publications? I've never really been interested in research, so it was hard for me to get into it in med school. I spent some time during the summer after MS1 working on a research project, but it was just to play the game, so it wasn't very meaningful to me and no pubs came out of it. I want to go into cards, so I know I should go to a top tier program to maximize my chances, even though I know this means more emphasis on research during residency. The rest of my application is stellar: Junior AOA, honors in everything, 260+ step 1, several non-research extra curriculars (middle tier school). Will my limited interest and activity in research keep me out of the research heavy top tier programs? If I get in, I know I can play the game a little longer to make sure I get into a fellowship.

Many schools, like the one I went to, will send your transcript out once and only once. Sometimes they decide when that is and sometimes they let you choose.

I wouldntg stress about it. Get an LOR from the subI that includes a mention of your grade and you'll be fine.

Yep def got a LOR from my Sub I. Ya guess I can't do much about it, if that is our schools policy. Thanks guys...

Just wondering, when do people start receiving interview invites? Sept, oct, Nov? My step 2 score won't be released till end of sept (All usmle takers from August will have their step 2 score released on Sept 28), I was just hoping its still early enough to be considered with my entire application. I still am submitting my application Sept 1st, the rest of app is set. All my letters will be in by end of august.

Just wondering, when do people start receiving interview invites? Sept, oct, Nov?

Yes.

I got interviews starting in the first week of Sept all the way through mid-December. I did my last interview in early February.

There's nothing you can do about your Step 2 release date and many/most programs won't care about it as long as Step 1 was solid (220+) and/or you have other things to recommend you on your application.

Here is my situation Im a US citizen at a Carribbean school. I really wanted to do Ortho (specifically ortho oncology). Obviously i realize how difficult ortho is to get into especially for a foreign grad. During my 3rd year i have honored all rotations except surgery, which i had a horrible experience and issue with a resident though i liked operating. I hated the personality of the surgeons and was miserable coming to the hospital daily, where as i looked forward coming to the hospital everyday on medicine. So im really considering going into IM and then doing a Hem/onc fellowship.

My step 1 score is 222 and Step 2 CK will be back wednesday. Im not applying till next year because i really have no clue which route i want to take. But lets say i decide medicine. I have been looking at Medicine programs and just curious to know if a USIMG would have a chance some of the mid to lower top tier university programs. So far the programs i have been checking out are.

Mayo-Scottsdale/jacksonville, U of Arizona, U of Miami, Emory, UNC, UVA, UF-jacksonville, Hofstra-North shore LIJ, Mt Sinai, Hopkins-bayview, Carolinas medical center. Depending on Step 2 score would it be worth submitting an app to programs like Duke, Columbia, Yale, Chicago etc.

Have 1 publication in orthopedics and working on a project on osteosarcoma right now. What additional programs fall into middle tier of university or community programs that will give me a good shot to get into a very good Hem/onc fellowship. Thanks so much for the help

Hello everyone,

Here are my stats:
-Good LORs, 238 Step 1
-Clinical research project
-2 Publications from undergrad
-Attend a well-ranked school-classmates are ridiculously intelligent. Huge problem for me because I think I am ranked in the bottom half of the class
-Even bigger issue is that I only passed medicine. Typical situation where I received glowing comments on my evaluations but this went along with poor numerical scores (yeah it’s a terrible system where some people end up with the short end of the stick…) apparently I was in a particularly strong cohort of students blah blah blah.
-Honored my sub-I, also obtaining a LOR from my attending
-Have done pretty poorly (mix of P and HPs) for other core clerkships

I am not gonna sit here and pretend that I even stand a chance at the big 5. I am realistic, after all, but I would like some feedback on places that are more within my reach. As for my long term goals, I would like to attend a program where I will be set up to ultimately obtain a fellowship position. I have included a crazy long list here (which may also contain some of the out of reach programs). Thanks in advance for any feedback!
nyu
nwu
tufts
uic
rush
uchic
miami
washu
vandy
emory
gwu
gtown
uwash
ucla
ucsd
yale
colorado
cornell
sinai
columbia
bidmc
bu
penn
umich
duke
einstein
pitt
bcm
utsw
drexel
temple
tjeff
harbor
cedarsi
uva
usc

Personally I think it would be wise to include a couple of safety interviews at less competitive and hopefully more cush programs in a location where you'd be happy.

**** does happen.

It's also been said that friends don't let friends go to UTSW. We also have another semi-regular poster there, and he seems to not think it's so bad per posts here, but the program got some bad gossip (unsubstantiated - though where there is smoke there is usually some fire).

They put on an amazing interview day to compensate, be warned :)

Just some generic advice - be realistic about your budget and personal living expectations. Don't assume that because other residents are making it just fine in NYC, SoCal or other big $$ cities that there must be a way so you'll be OK. Many, many residents get significant help from parents/family, even though it's not cool to admit it.

I see everyone, every year chasing after the same programs in the same places, but really think about how you're going to be living off a resident's salary.

Take home pay - <$3k/mo
IBR loan payment - $400-$500
rent in NYC/SoCal etc...$$$
Food, utilities, phone, various insurances, car note, travel (home/vacation/international rotations) etc.. ??

You do NOT want additional stress in residency, you'll have enough.

usual question!

i'm from a mid tier state school, HP in all first/second year classes, 230 step 1, HP in obgyn/FM and honors in the rest of my third year clerkships including IM

did one away elective (cards at nyu, got a nice letter)

little research (one case report in GI accepted but requiring edits, so resubmitting, some other projects pending)

not many extracurrics (one officer position in APAMSA, some teaching/mentoring experience)

so, what are my chances??? also, does being part of a combined program (ba/md) matter at all, plus or minus

my list so far (i'm focusing on NE, would love to be in a good program in NYC)
UMDNJ-RWJ
NSLIJ
NYU
Montefiore (AECOM)
St. Lukes Roosevelt
Georgetown
GWU
UVA
BU
Tufts
Brown
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
UPMC
Dartmouth
OSU
UIC
Loyola
UChicago

I feel like it's a pretty fair distribution of reach/target schools...what do you guys think? Are there any great programs glaringly missing off the list?

Thanks in advance.

usual question!

i'm from a mid tier state school, HP in all first/second year classes, 230 step 1, HP in obgyn/FM and honors in the rest of my third year clerkships including IM

did one away elective (cards at nyu, got a nice letter)

little research (one case report in GI accepted but requiring edits, so resubmitting, some other projects pending)

not many extracurrics (one officer position in APAMSA, some teaching/mentoring experience)

so, what are my chances??? also, does being part of a combined program (ba/md) matter at all, plus or minus

my list so far (i'm focusing on NE, would love to be in a good program in NYC)
UMDNJ-RWJ
NSLIJ
NYU
Montefiore (AECOM)
St. Lukes Roosevelt
Georgetown
GWU
UVA
BU
Tufts
Brown
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
UPMC
Dartmouth
OSU
UIC
Loyola
UChicago

I feel like it's a pretty fair distribution of reach/target schools...what do you guys think? Are there any great programs glaringly missing off the list?

Thanks in advance.

I think your list is good. You may be underestimating yourself. Sounds like you did a really good job in 3rd year (lots of H's = HUGE plus), which is definitely worth something. And you've dabbled in a little research. And your Step 1 doesn't kill your chances. Here are some other "reaches" that may be worth pursuing, based on the locations you've chosen so far:

BIDMC
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Yale
Northwestern
Case Western

I bet one of them gives you an interview.

I think your list is good. You may be underestimating yourself. Sounds like you did a really good job in 3rd year (lots of H's = HUGE plus), which is definitely worth something. And you've dabbled in a little research. And your Step 1 doesn't kill your chances. Here are some other "reaches" that may be worth pursuing, based on the locations you've chosen so far:

BIDMC
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Yale
Northwestern
Case Western

I bet one of them gives you an interview.

Agreed. I definitely think she's underestimating her application some. Maybe she's avoiding B-more because it's a ****hole, but I'd also add UofMaryland . . . also add UNC and Duke

How much do the top tier programs care about research and publications? I've never really been interested in research, so it was hard for me to get into it in med school. I spent some time during the summer after MS1 working on a research project, but it was just to play the game, so it wasn't very meaningful to me and no pubs came out of it. I want to go into cards, so I know I should go to a top tier program to maximize my chances, even though I know this means more emphasis on research during residency. The rest of my application is stellar: Junior AOA, honors in everything, 260+ step 1, several non-research extra curriculars (middle tier school). Will my limited interest and activity in research keep me out of the research heavy top tier programs? If I get in, I know I can play the game a little longer to make sure I get into a fellowship.

I think you've got the CV without a ton of research to still land a nice top tier match. Generally, the places at the top are interested in training academic docs and that usually means research + clinical. When they ask you about it, just don't advertise your disinterest, pick a topic you like in cardiology and say you're interested in that area and leave it at that.

Here is my situation Im a US citizen at a Carribbean school. I really wanted to do Ortho (specifically ortho oncology). Obviously i realize how difficult ortho is to get into especially for a foreign grad. During my 3rd year i have honored all rotations except surgery, which i had a horrible experience and issue with a resident though i liked operating. I hated the personality of the surgeons and was miserable coming to the hospital daily, where as i looked forward coming to the hospital everyday on medicine. So im really considering going into IM and then doing a Hem/onc fellowship.

My step 1 score is 222 and Step 2 CK will be back wednesday. Im not applying till next year because i really have no clue which route i want to take. But lets say i decide medicine. I have been looking at Medicine programs and just curious to know if a USIMG would have a chance some of the mid to lower top tier university programs. So far the programs i have been checking out are.

Mayo-Scottsdale/jacksonville, U of Arizona, U of Miami, Emory, UNC, UVA, UF-jacksonville, Hofstra-North shore LIJ, Mt Sinai, Hopkins-bayview, Carolinas medical center. Depending on Step 2 score would it be worth submitting an app to programs like Duke, Columbia, Yale, Chicago etc.

Have 1 publication in orthopedics and working on a project on osteosarcoma right now. What additional programs fall into middle tier of university or community programs that will give me a good shot to get into a very good Hem/onc fellowship. Thanks so much for the help

I'm pretty sure applying from the the tropical islands, even with an astronomical step 2 is helpful for the top programs. Your best bet will be with mid-tier programs.

Hello everyone,

Here are my stats:
-Good LORs, 238 Step 1
-Clinical research project
-2 Publications from undergrad
-Attend a well-ranked school-classmates are ridiculously intelligent. Huge problem for me because I think I am ranked in the bottom half of the class
-Even bigger issue is that I only passed medicine. Typical situation where I received glowing comments on my evaluations but this went along with poor numerical scores (yeah it’s a terrible system where some people end up with the short end of the stick…) apparently I was in a particularly strong cohort of students blah blah blah.
-Honored my sub-I, also obtaining a LOR from my attending
-Have done pretty poorly (mix of P and HPs) for other core clerkships

I am not gonna sit here and pretend that I even stand a chance at the big 5. I am realistic, after all, but I would like some feedback on places that are more within my reach. As for my long term goals, I would like to attend a program where I will be set up to ultimately obtain a fellowship position. I have included a crazy long list here (which may also contain some of the out of reach programs). Thanks in advance for any feedback!
nyu
nwu
tufts
uic
rush
uchic
miami
washu
vandy
emory
gwu
gtown
uwash
ucla
ucsd
yale
colorado
cornell
sinai
columbia
bidmc
bu
penn
umich
duke
einstein
pitt
bcm
utsw
drexel
temple
tjeff
harbor
cedarsi
uva
usc

You're fine. The non-honors hurts a bit, but med school rank will be taken into consideration so might not hurt as much as you think. You'll get invites at most of the places on your list I think.

Just some generic advice - be realistic about your budget and personal living expectations. Don't assume that because other residents are making it just fine in NYC, SoCal or other big $$ cities that there must be a way so you'll be OK. Many, many residents get significant help from parents/family, even though it's not cool to admit it.

I see everyone, every year chasing after the same programs in the same places, but really think about how you're going to be living off a resident's salary.

Take home pay - <$3k/mo
IBR loan payment - $400-$500
rent in NYC/SoCal etc...$$$
Food, utilities, phone, various insurances, car note, travel (home/vacation/international rotations) etc.. ??

You do NOT want additional stress in residency, you'll have enough.

yay inflation

Agreed. I definitely think she's underestimating her application some. Maybe she's avoiding B-more because it's a ****hole, but I'd also add UofMaryland . . . also add UNC and Duke

... though I should add that Case Western is in a group below those other ones I listed. Still should consider looking at it with those stats and geographic preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.