Official 2011 IM Rank Order Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rheumella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The final list is in!

1. Mount Sinai
2. Penn
3. BIDMC
4. Duke
5. Wake
6. UNC
7. VCU
8. Vanderbilt

Members don't see this ad.

1. mgh
2. columbia
3. bwh
4. cornell
5. bidmc
6. penn
7. hopkins
8. mt sinai
9. northwestern
10. nyu
11. uchicago
12. ns-lij
13. beth israel
14. bu

Members don't see this ad :)
1. UCSF
2. BWH
3. MGH
4. Penn
5. Columbia
6. Hopkins
7. Duke
8. NW
9. Cornell
10. UNC

Good call on this thread, I feel like none of us this year really contributed that much to the collective pool of sdn info compared to years past, so this is a good start. here's my meager 2 cents. Good luck to everyone and thanks to those of you who helped with my list!

1.) WashU - the only place on my list where i truly felt i was at an elite program on interview day. great vibe.
2.) OHSU - best location. happy residents. great training. nuff said.
3.) Wisconsin - criminally underrated outside of the midwest. came in with zero expectations, left loving the place.
4.) UNC - another friendly, small program with a great academic reputation.
5.) UTSW - i don't have anything bad to say about these guys, felt i had to rank them highest out of the "large southern programs".
6.) Baylor-Houston - back on the upswing
7.) Case Western - great, great vibe. wonderful PD and very friendly, cohesive resident bunch. thought cleveland was quite nice also.
8.) UAB - southern fried UTSW
9.) Emory - all the resources, big name, but terrible vibes from the PD, and i can't say a 5 hospital system all over the city is great for resident cohesiveness.
10.) Tulane - probably the most innovative program in the country. very exciting. they'll get there soon. love wiese.
11.) UIC - very vanilla program that gets a huge bump amongst applicants simply due to location
12.) UT-San Antonio - PD and residents so friendly. clinical training solid. bad match list. wish i could have ranked them higher.

Last edited:
1. MGH
2. BWH
3. UCSF
4. Columbia
5. UPenn
6. Cornell
7. BIDMC
8. Hopkins (Osler)
9. Mt. Sinai
10. Yale
11. NYU

Golftrippy: looks we have the same top 5 but in a different order! Best wishes to all, and to all a good night.

Last edited:
Three of three people who chose went with Penn over Hopkins??

Wouldn't going to Penn make it harder to get the competitive fellowships than going to Hopkins?

1. Hopkins
2. BWH
3. MGH
4. Penn
5. Duke
6. Columbia
7. UCSF
8. BIDMC
9. Cornell
10. UCLA

1. Hopkins
2. MGH
3. Duke
4. Mayo
5. WashU
6. UMich
7. Stanford
8. UCLA
9. UPMC
10. UWisc
11. Vandy
12. UNC

Wouldn't going to Penn make it harder to get the competitive fellowships than going to Hopkins?

I agree without exception. When I was a precocious 5 year-old starting kindergarten I knew that the only route to being happy in life was a competitive fellowship in a hard-core lucrative medical specialty. I mean why would anyone else choose a "lesser" program? They must be the ones who believe in things like "being happy" and "enjoying one's life." How silly.

1. MGH - categorical
2. MGH - PC
3. NYP-Columbia
4. Univ of Chicago
5. Univ Washington categorical
6. Univ Washington PC
7. Univ Michigan
8. Northwestern
9. U Colorado
10. NYP-Cornell
11. Yale
12. Vanderbilt

1. BWH
2. MGH
3. UCSF
4. Penn
5. Cornell
6. Stanford
7. Mayo
8. UCLA
9. U Chicago
10. U Wash
11. Duke
12. BIDMC
13. Michigan

:laugh: I'm sure Penn does juuuuuuuuuuust fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ***heart*** SDN threads :D Anybody without 260 boards and a MGH/UCSF/Hopkins top 3 please quit now. You'll be a $h!t doctor :D

List for a more average applicant...

Michigan
BU
UVa
Brown
Tufts
NYU
Dartmouth
Pitt
Madison
UMass
Georgetown
NS-LIJ

Good luck everyone!!!!!

must be joking...

....fail....:thumbdown:

1. BIDMC
2. Cornell
3. Yale
4. UTSW
5. WashU
6. Northwestern
7. Vanderbilt
8. Pitt

I agree without exception. When I was a precocious 5 year-old starting kindergarten I knew that the only route to being happy in life was a competitive fellowship in a hard-core lucrative medical specialty. I mean why would anyone else choose a "lesser" program? They must be the ones who believe in things like "being happy" and "enjoying one's life." How silly.

Owned

Yeah because Hopkins pwns Penn so much that you'll NEVER find a good fellowship. Everyone coming out of Penn has to be a hospitalist or do primary care.

This thread will fizzle put very quickly. It does every year. Once all the pretty girls get done posting their elite program rank list no one else really feels like putting up their list full of easily top 30 programs let alone anyone with a solid mid tier list.

Pretty girls . . . are pretty. There now do you all feel validated enough? We are all so very thoroughly impressed. In fact some of these people might just be the BEST people in the world. And I feel lucky for being able to simply even post in their thread.

Smoof, were you as special and talented as this 5 year old?? I doubt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rbMHLDY1pA

:D

can anyone comment on why the top applicants who clearly found this forum were so shy in the previous forums? it would have been nice to hear a thoughtful discussion re: top IM programs prior to the match.
anyways, best of luck to all. my list below if anyone cares, which you shouldn't. shame on you...
1. u wash
2. duke
3. hopkins
4. uchicago
5. wash u
6. michigan
7. yale
8. NW
9. vandy

1. BWH
2. MGH
3. UCSF
4. Duke
5. BCM
6. Penn
7. WashU
8. JHU

1. BWH
2. MGH
3. UCSF
4. Duke
5. BCM
6. Penn
7. WashU
8. JHU

what a childish user name. i mean, come one. might i suggest an upgrade?? oxX lil nickster Xxo... lollllzzz
luby's for lunch??

Ill bite with my mid to lower tier ranking - came down to keeping fellowship options open and also geographical preferences - and of course, the general vibe:

1) U of Iowa
2) U of Arizona
3) Portland St. Vincent
4) Portland Providence
5) U of Southern Florida - Tampa
6) Kaiser San Francisco
7) U of Kentucky
8) U of New Mexico
9) Kaiser Oakland

although my list doesn't stand out after going through everyone's here, but I will surely put it.

UAB
UMinn
UMass
SLU
OU
U of Arkansas
UConn
SLR
SUNY-buffalo
Henry Ford
MCG
KU
UMDNJ-camden

ditto as above... haha..

1.Cedars-Sinai
2. Harbor-UCLA
3. UCI
4. Kaiser-LA
5. Scripps Green
6. Olive-View-UCLA
7. USC
8. Mayo Clinic-Scottsdale
9.Jefferson
10.Montefiore
11.Loma Linda
12. Huntington
13. Scripps Mercy
14. Temple
15. Drexel
16. Lankenau
17. Christiana

This thread will fizzle put very quickly. It does every year. Once all the pretty girls get done posting their elite program rank list no one else really feels like putting up their list full of easily top 30 programs let alone anyone with a solid mid tier list.

Pretty girls . . . are pretty. There now do you all feel validated enough? We are all so very thoroughly impressed. In fact some of these people might just be the BEST people in the world. And I feel lucky for being able to simply even post in their thread.

First, most of the other specialties have similar threads running without negative posts from you. Second, I also don't see how this is different from the rank advice thread where you gave your sage advice throughout. And last, from the PMs I've gotten, I think this thread is helpful to rising applicants. It shows people that its not all about USN&WR rankings - some of these lists are really based on the gut.

But, by all means, continue your rant. I'm sure you will :rolleyes:

1)Duke
2)Yale
3)U Chicago
4)Vandy
5)WashU
6)Baylor
7)Michigan
8)Emory

keystrokes, I will see your Luby's and raise you Methodist Bistro.

and nickster is a lame name. get a haircut.

Couples matching so based partially on gut feeling/strength of program and partially on my significant others opinions...

1) Vanderbilt
2) U of Washington
3) Brown
4) Michigan
5) Northwestern
6) U of Wisconsin
7) Duke
8) OHSU
9) UNC
10) Tufts
11) Emory

The rest...(which we would also be very happy at).

1. UCSF
2. MGH
3. Brigham
4. Hopkins
5. Penn
6. Cornell
7. UWash
8. Stanford
9. Northwestern
10. UChicago
11. Columbia
12. UCLA
13. BIDMC
14. Michigan
15. WashU
16. Vandy

Good luck to all :)

First, most of the other specialties have similar threads running without negative posts from you. Second, I also don't see how this is different from the rank advice thread where you gave your sage advice throughout. And last, from the PMs I've gotten, I think this thread is helpful to rising applicants. It shows people that its not all about USN&WR rankings - some of these lists are really based on the gut.

2ezsns4jpg.gif

I don't see much love for Cleveland clinic, whats up with that? (I'm an Ohioan:))

My decision was based on location, family and mental health... After getting over the obsession with perceived prestige of programs, and then realizing I can land the great job or fellowship I want from any of these programs, this was a lot easier.

Kaiser SF/UCSF IM/Prev Med - I got a great feeling from my interview day here here that I couldn't shake all interview season. The program director seemed very sincerely aligned with the residents' best interests. He was very much of the opinion that residency should be an intense training/learning time… but also not leave residents exhausted and jaded. There is therefore very little scut work residents do… lots of amazing ancillary services leave residents to actually admit/learn about their patients instead of spending hours on dips problems or trying to get a CT scan before the weekend. The residents seem like a very cohesive happy and unified group. There are also amazing opportunities to do research with Kaiser Div of Research (which I am excited about). And probably partially because of this they have great fellowship matches… I have a feeling most epode come here though because they are interested in taking one of the highly competitive/well-paid hospitalist/primary care positions after finishing. UCSF Prev Med faculty is fantastic and can help you make amazing connections in academic medicine/public health fields. Overall amazing community program that my advisors (from a very academic program) had a very positive impression of…
Kaiser Oak/UC-Berkeley IM/MPH - Similar advantages to Kaiser SF… Absolutely fantastic program director. Located in an awesome part of Oakland.
Stanford - I thought Dr. Witteles was great. Very sincere and trying to be the best PD he could be :) Amazing opportunities at Stanford if you are interested in global health (or just a global health experience), biotechnology, interdisciplinary work with other departments. Also a policy fellowship that sounded amazing. Palo Alto is nice (though I would prefer to live in SF… and the commute might be a touch too far for a tired intern)
UCSF - Very very nice people. Awesome location. Intense program with very tired interns (front-loaded). Three hospital system great for some… for me it just seemed like extra time shuttling back and forth and not being with my family. SFGH great patient population… but lacking in ancillary services and totally paper records and orders = lots of scut. Probably worth it if you want a hardcore academic career. Obviously great faculty mentors with great connections to launch you into various career paths post-residency.
UCLA - Very beautiful hospital :). I heard mixed things about the program leadership… but general agreement that things are getting better. Residents seemed to get along great and were happy with their peer group. Located in a nice part of LA. Smog cloud very visible in the sky on my interview day :p
CPMC - Also a great community program with great fellowship match success. Wonderful PD and support staff. I was told that the patient diversity could be a bit lacking.. which was disappointing to hear. But it is a great hospital with happy residents (who work hard!).
UCLA - Olive View - Also really liked it a lot. Could have easily been my top choice based on patient population (county hospital) with great ancillary support (not as much scut as other county hospitals). Great teaching environment… and I think it says a lot that it is such a favorite among UCLA med students going into IM.
U Washington - I liked it a lot less than i thought. This is probably just because of the people i happened to interact with while i was there…. and I am not too big on shuttling between hospitals all the time… and the cold weather... and i have no family in Seattle. I know people here who love it (they also admit to working really hard and on occasion going over hours…)

and 10 more programs... I may come back and add comments later...

Last edited:
Couples matched, location was a huge issue for us

1. Stanford
2. North Carolina
3. Oregon Health and Sciences
4. UCSF
5. Vanderbilt
6. Virginia
7. Colorado
8. UCSD
9. Utah
10. Emory
11. UCLA
12. Cedar-Sinai
13. Harbor-UCLA
14. Scripps Green
16. Mt. Sinai
17. Cornell
18. Georgetown

Don't know why I'm bothering, but I'll bite. Here's my very average list:

1. UMDNJ-NJMS
2. Brown
3. Albany
4. Jefferson
5. Temple
6. UMDNJ-RWJ
7. Maryland
8. UConn
9. UMass
10. NYMC

I am so glad the SDN elite 99's are not ranking my #1 spot.

Only 2 of the many people who posted ranked it at all.

I agree that the versions of this thread (along with the yearly rank list help threads) have been very good resources for me, especially as the advising I got at my school was a joke. I pretty much made my rank list using SDN and my interview day notes. So that's why I contributed my list to this thread.

Unfortunately, this year, both in the rank list help thread and this thread, it seems like all we have is a bunch of "achievement trolls" with their identical BWH, MGH, UCSF, Hopkins rank lists, post counts of 2 or 3, and little else in the way of contribution to the body of program impressions for next year. We don't even have a real interview impressions thread, which is kind of sad.

Oh well, it is what it is. The people I met on the trail were almost uniformly pretty cool, so there's that to look forward to :)

You could start one rather than complain

nah, i've already posted pretty detailed impressions of programs and places i felt were underdiscussed in this and other threads. for those future applicants acquainted with the search function, i've done my part, i think. you might try, though :)

ditto as above... haha..

1.Cedars-Sinai
2. Harbor-UCLA
3. UCI
4. Kaiser-LA
5. Scripps Green
6. Olive-View-UCLA
7. USC
8. Mayo Clinic-Scottsdale
9.Jefferson
10.Montefiore
11.Loma Linda
12. Huntington
13. Scripps Mercy
14. Temple
15. Drexel
16. Lankenau
17. Christiana

These rank lists are MUCH more helpful than the dime a dozen '1. MGH 2. BWH 3. Hopkins' lists that are meaningless. None of us need to know how the top 10 are ranked, that debate has been exhausted on SDN. Thanks!

Also, many of us (myself included) are applying this upcoming year. Could you guys maybe put a line or two on what influenced you to choose your top 3?

Last edited:
I agree with Texasguy that people posting lists with a variety of different programs would be helpful. I do feel bad that despite a high number of posts on SDN in the past I haven't been that active in the IM thread. So despite the fact that I have a lot of highly discussed programs on my list I'm happy to give my opinion on all of them.

1) UCSF. For me, just the best place I went to for rigorous and varied training. A real three hospital experience with your rotations split roughly evenly across all 3 (the county hospital, an academic center and a VA). Coming from a public medical school I "fit" with the mission and environment here. Also an organized system to get other training outside of clinical medicine, a "minor" if you will (in outcomes research, education, global health, ect.) Also amazing research/clinical opportunities in HIV--which for me was important.
2)BWH. Great residents, PD and faculty. Seems like one of the most supportive programs I went to. Also a 3 hospital system but with far more rotation time spent at BWH than anywhere else. Also probably the best connections to launch any career. Boston is a little chilly but I'm sure I'd survive.
3)MGH. A lot friendlier than I thought. Outstanding comraderie among the residents and I was thoroughly impressed with their abilities on rounds. Not as big a fan of the Bigelow service (every member of the team shares patients instead of you owning 10 or so and covering others when you are on call) or the fact that there is a private service. But people who go here love the Bigelow so I'm sure I would also.
4)Penn. People here rave about the supportive environment and the amazing and receptive PD. I also really like Philly--it seems very livable. Also most of the Penn med students stay and they had the best things to say about a home program of any group. Not a big fan of the docs carrying cell phones instead of pagers (which means they are answering the nurses calls all day despite the level of importance) or the new duty hours plan (basically shift work--6 12hour days a week for interns, admitting every day) but I'd get over it.
5)Columbia. For me, great opportunities in racial disparities and public health research. NYC would be fun. Two attending system is interesting and most of the residents seemed to like it. Having so many patients of one racial background is not ideal but my Spanish would be great by the end.
6)Hopkins. Debated putting this a lot higher, liked it more than I thought I would. Location was really high on my priority list and Baltimore is definitely a big part of the reason that I did not put it higher although the area around Hopkins is not nearly as bad as people make you think. Great comraderie and I really think they can turn a med student into a decent doctor in one year with their grueling marathon of an internship.
7)Duke. They have made a lot of moves in the past years to soften up and the residents seem happy. To me they also seem a little stuck up, more so than places that arguably have more prestige. Also wanted to get to the big city for a while.
8)NW. Really liked this place. Great part of Chicago and the PD is amazing. Very supportive environment but also got the feeling it is a bit cush. If you are interested in cards particularly this is a great option.
9)Cornell. Great part of NYC but I think they are still struggling with their reputation as the hospital of the wealthy in NYC and the program also seems a little cush. The PD is also new so its a little difficult to know what to expect. Residents seem very happy though and great program for hem-onc.
10) UNC. Small but tight-knit group. Residents are given a lot of autonomy. The new call schedule seems interesting and may work really well. If you are looking for smaller cities for residency you can do no better than Chapel Hill. A downside is having to drive 40 minutes to Wake Med for some rotations.
11) UVA. A smaller version of UNC. More residents than UNC but a smaller hospital. Don't have a lot to say about the program except that Charlottesville is small but pretty and the interview day has an excessive number of power points.
12)Vanderbilt. The one place I went I really didn't like. I grew up in the South but this place was far to into putting on the southern charm, just hit me the wrong way (from the nicities, resident laundry service, a catered lunch at the Vanderbilt club to the morning report room that looked like a hunting lodge). That being said great medical record system and resident autonomy. Just not for me.

Hope this helps someone, feel free to PM with questions.

^
Nothing but rockstar programs there. :thumbup:

Just so people get an idea of just how variable everyone's priorities are when composing their rank lists, one of golftrippy's Bottom 3 is in my Top 3. And two of the programs in golftrippy's Top Half I ended up ranking 9th and 14th. Clearly, to each their own.

I'll post some specifics about certain programs after Match Day... maybe.