Official 2012-2013 Allergy/Immunology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Add Mayo, Hershey and UW/Madison

Members don't see this ad.

And, now NSLIJ.... there are still so many programs that haven't written yet... Hopefully soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Jazzblue- those are great places! Congrats!

Any interviews in the last couple days for anyone? They seem to have slowed down for me..recievd all my interviews a week ago and now nothing for a week! Getting antsy..

Thanks pedsresident1. I am applying from IM side and it has been the same dead silence for a few days now.
Jazzblue- those are great places! Congrats!

Any interviews in the last couple days for anyone? They seem to have slowed down for me..recievd all my interviews a week ago and now nothing for a week! Getting antsy..

I feel like there are so many programs that most have yet to hear from.. the interview season is rapidly approaching... I haven't heard from anyone this week except NSLIJ...

Two questions:

1) Anybody hear back from Long Island Jewish-NY

2) If anybody has an interview scheduled on September 21 at Emory, are they willing to switch for September 28? Have to rework due to another interview.

Thanks in advance

LIJ is still reviewing applicants...will get back to people this week

Duke, Boston Children's, UW Seattle Children's, Colorado

Here's the list so far....

Vanderbilt
NIH
Pittsburgh (aka Pitt, aka UPMC)
UT Memphis
Mount Sinai
Columbia
OSU
Thomas Jefferson/duPont-DE
Winthrop Hospital-NY
Cleveland Clinic
Henry Ford
Penn State
Cincinnati
University of Colorado Denver
USF
UPenn
Duke Ped program
Baylor's pediatric
Emory
Hopkins
Mt Sinai

Seems like a slow week. I'm thinking some programs were using Aug 15th as a deadline and are reviewing currently. I expect the next week (maybe next 2 weeks) will be busy in interview offers.

Good luck.

add Boston Children's and Seattle Children's to that list, good luck everyone. Can't wait until December 5th. Everyone don't forget to register for NRMP so you can actually participate in the match.

University of Kansas and Creighton belong on that list. Thanks

Sorry the posts were not showing up on my screen for some reason!

Members don't see this ad :)
add UCSD and the VA in LA to the list.

I think this is the list so far.

Baylor
Boston Children's
Cincinnati
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Creighton
Duke
Emory
Henry Ford
Hershey
Iowa
John Hopkins
KU
LA - VA
Mayo
Mount Sinai
NIH
NSLIJ
OSU
Penn State
UCSD
UPenn
University of Rochester
USF
UT Memphis
UW/Madison
UW Seattle Children's
Vanderbilt
Winthrop Hospital-NY

Thanks for compiling that list, srd4g9! CHOP can be added to the list as well..

I was looking around and noticed the dependency between the number of posts and views here compared to the other specialties. I complied them below as of just now. I suspect this means that AI is getting far few applicants than card, GI, HONC, and PulmCC (I'm not surprised). I am surprised that we are on par with Rheum. They say AI is competitive, but perhaps fewer people are applying this years. Any thoughts?

Specialty Posts Views
Cards 169 19,591
GI 190 18,212
Heme/Onc 142 18,273

whaa? This is such a random use of time - the waiting must be making you bonkers

whaa? This is such a random use of time - the waiting must be making you bonkers

Ha. It was a random thought, but empirical data non the less.... I was just trying to get the forum talking (didn't work). I'm finding the application process quite pleasant and exciting, not really that stressed (except for making the time for these interviews). Best of luck to all.

Heard from tulane and LSU. Has anyone heard from Washington University?

Hi everyone! I've been watching the site for awhile but haven't commented, as no new ones to add over ones already mentioned by others :) I'm applying from Peds side, applied to 29- and more than 1/3 of the ones I applied to no one has mentioned hearing from so far.

Has anyone received info from any programs about timeline for interview offers? I know USF in St Petersburg emailed out saying they'd send out interview offers "at the end of August" but haven't heard anything similar from other programs. I know this is a new timeline for programs, which makes it hard to know what to expect. Just find it strange there are so many that still haven't sent out offers (at least to those of us posting/stalking the SDN community)

Heard from Buffalo earlier in the week. I agree buckeye... about 1/2 of the programs I applied to have not been heard by anyone in the SDN community. Really frustrating.

How many interviews are people at right now, I got 4 and not sure if that is even a good number. Spoke to a few friends in other specialities and they were sitting at around 10 to 12. Anybody have thoughts on this?

I ALSO THINK SINCE WE PAY SO MUCH MONEY TO ERAS, THERE SHOULD BE A RULE SET FORTH BY ERAS THAT ALL PROGRAMS SHOULD REPLY TO ALL THOSE WHO SUBMITTED AN APPLICATION TO A PROGRAM. EVEN AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE THAT SAYS-SORRY OR SOMETHING, SO WE AREN'T SO CLUELESS. ANYBODY AGREE??

Last edited:
I only have 3 so far, so you're better than me! I know someone else who has 5 but is applying med peds. The guy who graduated from my institution and just started A/I fellowship this year only interviewed at 3 and matched- so hard to tell. I am just nervous because I am coming from a program that doesn't have a fellowship - so no chance of matching internally for me. Seeing as no one has heard from a bunch of places I applied, I'm still holding out hope for a few more interviews :)

I think it's hard for all the programs to send out an email, at least initially - since people are getting interviews at all different times, they are probably still trying to decide on applicants. Hopefully once they decide not to interview they will email a rejection, rather than just letting us sit wondering. I haven't gotten any rejections yet- but I am OK with that!

Anyone else taking the Peds boards this time? How are you managing the interviews with the studies?? I'm going a little bit crazy!:rolleyes:

Invites from UTMB and Washington University in St Louis

Any one start interviewing yet? I just was in Hershey- totally friendly, low key day. More coming up in the next 2 weeks. Would love to hear about other people's experiences!

U of Michigan and UTSW also can be added to the list.
Good luck to everybody with interview!

Interviewed at Mt. Sinai recently. Was a long day: 9:30-3:30 with noon conference inbetween. Interviewed with the adult side for half the day, then the peds side. Had 7 brief (20-30) min interviews that were mostly low-key. Lots of emphasis on doing what YOU want to do for research. First year very clinical, 2nd year more research, 3rd year totally research (if you do it). Seems like there's lots of research support.

thanks for sharing, kheer, I will go to Mt Sinai in Oct. How is the work load there? I heard sometime it could be really busy.

Littlekk- i'm not sure about the workload, honestly. They have multiple half-day clinics a week as well as consults. however, there are 3 fellows dividing the time carrying the consult pager.

thanks for sharing, kheer, I will go to Mt Sinai in Oct. How is the work load there? I heard sometime it could be really busy.

Heard from UVA and UMDNJ this week as well....

Has anyone heard from Einstein or the North Carolina programs?

I also heard from UMDNJ, and Medical College of Wisconsin. Had a rejection recently from UCSD.

Interviewed at Cincinnati (peds track)- had 4 interviews ~45 minutes each - 1 with an adult faculty member, rest peds, plus a lunch with faculty/researchers (dinner with fellows is the night before), and tour of the hospital. Pretty low key and friendly. It's a 3 year program with funding for research, and they encourage grad school during fellowship (masters of clinical research, molecular epidemiology, etc). Lots of opportunities to do research in what you are interested in. Felt like you get very broad exposure as each faculty member has different primary interests. Good immunodeficiency experience if you are interested in that - they have one day per week dedicated to it.

Figured I'd post an updated list:

Baylor
Boston Children's
Buffalo
CHOP
Cincinnati
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Creighton
Duke
Emory
Henry Ford
Hershey
Iowa
John Hopkins
KU
LA - VA
LSU
Mayo
Medical College of Wisconsin
Mount Sinai
NIH
NSLIJ
OSU
Penn State
Tulane
UCSD
UMDNJ
University of Michigan
UPenn
University of Rochester
USF
UTMB
UT Memphis
UTSW
UVA
UW/Madison
UW Seattle Children's
Vanderbilt
Wash U- St Louis
Winthrop Hospital-NY

Anyone know anything about Creighton? Research oriented or clinical?

This question is for people who have already gone for a few interviews. I'm wondering if the PDs give a general feel of whether or not they're thinking of you favorably. Like do they make statements like "we will be happy to have you with us next year"? How seriously should one take such a statement or is that more like a closing statement which they probably say to everyone? I get the sense that most places don't say anything..very rarely does a PD say something very positive. What does the SDN community think?

This question is for people who have already gone for a few interviews. I'm wondering if the PDs give a general feel of whether or not they're thinking of you favorably. Like do they make statements like "we will be happy to have you with us next year"? How seriously should one take such a statement or is that more like a closing statement which they probably say to everyone? I get the sense that most places don't say anything..very rarely does a PD say something very positive. What does the SDN community think?

That sounds like a good sign if they say something like that. From my experience everyone has been very nice and positive. I suspect there are enough applicants that everyone they invite they would be pleased to get. Once they meet and are comfortable with your personality and fit, I don't see why they wouldn't be positive. That being said, I would interpret a strong statement such as "we will be happy to have you with us next year" as an indication that they would rank you highly, especially if you are giving off the "vibe".

Thanks Alllergy. And what would you make of the programs that don't say anything?

Thanks Alllergy. And what would you make of the programs that don't say anything?

I wouldn't worry too much. If you are interviewing at enough places to have these different experiences, statistics would tell us you will match without a problem. If a PD doesn't say anything positive or you are getting a bad feeling, you probably don't want to be there anyway.

Everyone has different styles. If you are strong enough to have PDs be very positive, maybe there are other PDs that don't think you will actually want to match there. They may just not want to put themselves out there.

There are a million of different scenarios I could make up. At the end of the day, I think we just need to be ourselves and confident in our future potential. It'll work out in the end. Good luck to you and all.

Thanks again Alllergy. You helped put things in perspective..Maybe I was reading too much into it! And yes, good luck to all!

I am in the same boat with others here in that there are a number of programs that I applied to on ERAS and have not heard back from at all? I count 15-20 personally that have yet to communicate with me in any fashion. I hope I didn't pay all that money to ERAS only to have them say they aren't taking fellows this cycle...

I received 2 on the same day just a week ago, and those were the first I'd seen those two mentioned on the SDN boards-- so wouldn't be surprised if programs were still offering interviews.

Interviewed at UT Memphis, very low key day- interviewed with 4 faculty members and had lunch with the fellows. Everyone was very friendly and the interviews were largely chats about the program. 2 year program with research mixed into both years but definitely heavier in the 2nd year. Good balance of faculty with different interests, and Allergy does all the asthma consults inpatient (lots of asthma in Memphis)! Brand new beautiful Children's hospital. Probably a bit stronger clinical vs research, but research opportunities are there if you want them.

Hey everyone,
Is anyone still getting interview offers? How many interviews are you going on? Does anyone have an idea of how many people are interviewed per position?
Just some things I've been wondering about.
Good luck on the interview trail!

I haven't heard back from any program for several weeks now (be it interview or rejection)...this process is really starting to drag on...I got about 10 interviews out of 40 schools applied to, hopefully that is enough to match.

I got an interview today but this after almost 3 weeks of complete silence.. I think I'll end up going to about 9 interviews. From my experience, most programs are interviewing about 15 applicants per spot. However, I know of one program that interviewed about 25 for one position but I don't think that is the norm.

Thanks for the update pedsresident and congrats on another interview! I would like to move on mentally from the idea of going to some certain programs that havent offered me an interview or rejected me yet so does anyone know if the following programs have offered interviews already: UC Irvine, UC Davis, Kaiser Los Angeles, Scripps San Diego, Stanford and UCSF?

Thanks Francisco! I know for sure that Stanford has offered interviews. Don't know about the rest though..

UC Irvine sent out invites two weeks ago.

Thanks for the update pedsresident and congrats on another interview! I would like to move on mentally from the idea of going to some certain programs that havent offered me an interview or rejected me yet so does anyone know if the following programs have offered interviews already: UC Irvine, UC Davis, Kaiser Los Angeles, Scripps San Diego, Stanford and UCSF?

Hey guys thanks so much for the updates on Stanford and UC Irvine. I was hoping to be able to match in California (not looking good right now) but am glad I can at least cross some programs off my list and move on...

Does anyone have any information about Northwestern's program? Is it a divided Peds/IM program? I had contacted the secretary from the medicine side a month ago and was told all their invites were sent out and I was not granted an interview and then mysteriously received an interview invite for the Lurie Children's hospital this afternoon (from a different secretary)...

Also, anyone know if this is a 2 or 3 year program? The website seems to say 2 year in one place and 3 year in another.

thanks

Also, has anyone heard from Wake Forest or UNC or St Louis?