Official 2012-2013 Allergy/Immunology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any information on Duke? Strengths and weaknesses of the program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any information on Duke? Strengths and weaknesses of the program? Thanks!

strengths: lots of primary immune deficiency. it is the only place that you can get a thymic transplant for 22q11. lots of research opportunities. famous faculty such as rebecca buckley (PID) and wesley burks (food allergy, current president of aaaai)

cons: lots of primary immune deficiency, so fellows graduate and hardly even know how to manage bread and butter allergy topics such as asthma. the allergy service is a primary service (not consult) and you have to round with a resident team and write progress notes each day. some of the patients on the service are complete bombs, namely the really bad 22q11 with cardiac complications who are awaiting to be stabilized for their thymic transplant. i think they also take care of the post transplant patients, though i cannot be sure if i remember this correctly. i don't know about you, but the last thing i wanna do as a fellow in A/I is manage fluids, electrolytes, etc. also, since you are a primary service, the fellow better be prepared to come in in the middle of the night when a transplant is being done and if there are any complications.

those are the biggies i can think of when i interviewed several years back.

strengths: lots of primary immune deficiency. it is the only place that you can get a thymic transplant for 22q11. lots of research opportunities. famous faculty such as rebecca buckley (PID) and wesley burks (food allergy, current president of aaaai)

cons: lots of primary immune deficiency, so fellows graduate and hardly even know how to manage bread and butter allergy topics such as asthma. the allergy service is a primary service (not consult) and you have to round with a resident team and write progress notes each day. some of the patients on the service are complete bombs, namely the really bad 22q11 with cardiac complications who are awaiting to be stabilized for their thymic transplant. i think they also take care of the post transplant patients, though i cannot be sure if i remember this correctly. i don't know about you, but the last thing i wanna do as a fellow in A/I is manage fluids, electrolytes, etc. also, since you are a primary service, the fellow better be prepared to come in in the middle of the night when a transplant is being done and if there are any complications.

those are the biggies i can think of when i interviewed several years back.

One caveat is that Wes Burkes and all the folks working with him on food allergy have moved to UNC.

Recently heard from Yale and Northwestern (peds) FYI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! Yes, did hear about Wes Burks..Wonder how that's going to affect the program.. Although Rebecca Buckley is there and she is another giant of the Immunology world!

FYI - for anyone waiting on SLU... apparently they thought they wouldn't have funding for this year, but they do, so are reviewing applications now and will be sending interviews soon for Oct/early Nov....

didnt see any activity for a week so thought i would chime in. anyone have thoughts on whether or not they think it is a bad thing if the A/I department is combined/under the Pulmonary division? On the interview trail i hear repeatedly that these types of programs should be avoided but maybe it would beneficial to those interested in research with strong ties to pulmonary?

also, i think its sad that nearly 20 programs that i applied to have yet to contact me even with a rejection letter...

didnt see any activity for a week so thought i would chime in. anyone have thoughts on whether or not they think it is a bad thing if the A/I department is combined/under the Pulmonary division? On the interview trail i hear repeatedly that these types of programs should be avoided but maybe it would beneficial to those interested in research with strong ties to pulmonary?

also, i think its sad that nearly 20 programs that i applied to have yet to contact me even with a rejection letter...

What have you heard about AI programs being housed within a Pulm Dept? I am curious to hear what some of the downsides would be. So many AI departments are under other divisions (ID, rheum, pulm) that I didn't think much about it. What do people say as to why they are to be avoided? Thanks for sharing this insight.

Also, with regards to the number of programs who are being silent, I think this year is very different for everyone (programs and applicants). I will not be surprised if there is a number of interviews sent for last minute interviews.

the forum looked like it needed a little life so thought i would chime in. most people here near/at the end of interview season? quite exhausting indeed, tempting to cancel the last few but would hate to have regrets if unable to match in December...

Think I am done unless places offer last minute interviews.

Speaking of, anyone hear from any of the following to know if they have offered interviews yet?
UCLA, SUNY Brooklyn, Albert Einstein, UNC, Wake Forest, U Kansas? I might have missed some of those mentioned previously when scrolling through. I'm assuming they're done, but figure it's worth asking :)

Also, was UCSF late to the ERAS party? I meant to apply to them but when I went to apply it wasn't an option... guessing it was added later and I missed the boat. Bummer.

SUNY Brooklyn just offered interviews last week actually... super late to the game. And I know that Albert Einstein was done, and I believe UNC and Wake Forest were done though I have not gotten my "rejections" from those yet....

good luck

My understanding is that UCLA has already offered interviews. With regards to UCSF, they did indeed add themselves late to ERAS and I did apply to them though never heard back. Have a bad feeling I wasted $ on programs that may not even be taking people this cycle...

I emailed UCSF, and they stated they are done with interviews at this time.

Anybody hearing from Program Directors as the match approaches? Im not sure if I should be expecting it or not.. currently, haven't really heard much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if SUNY Brooklyn is done with interviews? I assume Sandy threw a wrench in things, but figured it's possible they finished all interviews prior to the storm...

no they had one this past tuesday and one more next tuesday.... waiting until the very last minute..

Where is everybody at? Out celebrating....

Where did everyone match? Was there any unfilled spots....

I got university of buffalo!!

Not sure if there were any unfilled spots, wish I could see them even though I matched...Really wanted to match at National Jewish but alas...

We can all see who didn't match, just sign into NRMP and go to "my reports".

thanks alllergy! i had no idea about the my reports tab that was very informative. how the heck did national jewish only match 1 out of 3 IM spots??? i didnt get an interview from them but arent they one of the top programs?

thanks alllergy! i had no idea about the my reports tab that was very informative. how the heck did national jewish only match 1 out of 3 IM spots??? i didnt get an interview from them but arent they one of the top programs?

I know they have that reputation and are a great program. It was probably a numbers game, the applicants they interviewed were all probably great applicants and could choose where they wanted to train. Clearly they choose other programs that offered different strengths. When it comes to allergy fellowships, I don't get the impressions fellows are really interested in being pushed exceptionally hard... which is why they may have stayed clear of certain programs if they had better options. The sad thing is that a great program like NJ didn't fill because their applicants were scooped up by other programs.

Not sure if other people can speak directly to the interview experience (I can not) or perhaps someone from National Jewish is reading this and could share their perspective. Hopefully they will learn from this years experience and be able to re-invent their recruitment efforts.

yes you must be right about the number game and that maybe there was something in the interview process that made people look elsewhere. if anyone at or familiar with NJ can comment on the situation it would be great...is there a scramble process for Allergy fellowship so that those spots can get filled?

Is it true that Johns Hopkins didn't fill? It is such a good program!

Wow! Makes one wonder why that would be? Isn't it the best program in the country?

Does anyone know if its possible for a person to match but then switch to a different program like National Jewish that did not fill?? I wonder if they have already filled those open spots with the scramble...

Does anyone know if its possible for a person to match but then switch to a different program like National Jewish that did not fill?? I wonder if they have already filled those open spots with the scramble...

I think entering the Match is a binding agreement, that is, by entering the match you agree to accept the outcome. Saying that, you haven't signed a contract at your future program and don't have a contractual agreement right now. I suspect you could contact NJ or hopkins and ask if they would hire you under these conditions.

Of course, you leave the program that matched you unfilled if you try to change. Also, given allergy is such a small world, I doubt NJ or hopkins would be comfortable poaching fellows from other programs. The only way I could see things working out would be is if the program you matched with really doesn't want you their either and can fill their spot with a better candidate.

In summary, you might be able to get away switching from a legal/technical standpoint but I think it probably be a pretty dirty move and I think their would be some hard feelings. Probably not worth the trouble. After all, some great people interviewed at these "great programs" and they all passed.

I think entering the Match is a binding agreement, that is, by entering the match you agree to accept the outcome. Saying that, you haven't signed a contract at your future program and don't have a contractual agreement right now. I suspect you could contact NJ or hopkins and ask if they would hire you under these conditions.

Of course, you leave the program that matched you unfilled if you try to change. Also, given allergy is such a small world, I doubt NJ or hopkins would be comfortable poaching fellows from other programs. The only way I could see things working out would be is if the program you matched with really doesn't want you their either and can fill their spot with a better candidate.

In summary, you might be able to get away switching from a legal/technical standpoint but I think it probably be a pretty dirty move and I think their would be some hard feelings. Probably not worth the trouble. After all, some great people interviewed at these "great programs" and they all passed.

you are correct that the match is a binding agreement. if you are looking to change you will need to get a waiver from the NRMP. If either the applicant or program tries to do anything without the waiver then both will be labeled as match violators...for an applicant it can keep you from being able to participate in nrmp matches for a certain number of yrs and usually a big fine for the programs ...you usually have to have a good reason for the nrmp to grant a waiver (and because its a better program is usually not one of them).

Thanks for all the clarifying everyone, I dont think I will end up pursuing a transfer at this point. I wonder if NJ and/or Hopkins already filled the unmatched spots anyways...

at this point, i would guess that those unfilled spots have already filled. but you can contact programs if you want to know for sure. i agree though, a/i is a small field and no one will consider you for their unfilled spot if u have already matched elsewhere. plus, it is probably a match violation.

there are probably a number of reasons why spots go unfilled, including:
-undesireable location

-intensity of program (for example, if you are peds at jewish national, you take in house
call---or this was the case a few years prior)

-programs only interviewing a small number of elite applicants. oftentimes, applicants may desire another elite program or for personal reasons need to be in a particular location, etc

hope everyone has a good fellowship experience! doing an a/i fellowship was the best decision i made and now that i am done (and passed the boards!) i am soooo happy :)

Hello everyone. I am hoping to brush up/refresh on my immunology before starting fellowship this summer. Anyone have recommendations on a text I could read maybe an hour a day or so? Thanks!

Go to ACAAI website and download the board review: "Board Relevant Review for the ABAI Exam Now Available to Download". I think it was the best thing ever. Short and concise. Once you have mastered it , you can go on to bigger text books. Some did not like it because it was concise but give it a look maybe it will be to your liking.

Go to ACAAI website and download the board review: "Board Relevant Review for the ABAI Exam Now Available to Download". I think it was the best thing ever. Short and concise. Once you have mastered it , you can go on to bigger text books. Some did not like it because it was concise but give it a look maybe it will be to your liking.
Can I download if even if I am not a ACAAI member? Thanks