Official 2013-2014 Allergy/Immunology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, anyone else experiencing some trouble in getting their application completely processed due to the delay in ERAS opening this season? Specifically, I'm concerned that after our letter writers upload to the LoR portal, it takes EFDO 1-2weeks to "process" these to make them available to the programs!!! I can't even assign my prospective LoRs to programs until each one's been processed--which means there will be 0/3 LoRs available for me to assign by July 15th. Anyone know if this precludes me from certifying my application and at least making the rest of it available to the programs to download on Monday? (I dunno if programs will even look at my application with no letters of rec!)

Thanks for any info in advance!

I certified my app and applied to program w just 1 LOR, and then yesterday the 2nd LOR popped up and I went back to each applied to program and added it as well. Easy peasy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
how can we see if programs have downloaded the application?

ADTS in the upper right corner when u are logged into ERAs

Nothing here...also looks like some programs redownloaded all or parts of my application. In other words ADTS had already said it was available to the program but then today the date changed to other later dates or today's date for some things. Anybody else notice this?

yea looks like i had the same thing on a few programs!! don't know what that means though

Got an interview today from Penn State Hershey and a phone interview from Brigham. Wasn't even aware places did phone interviews--anyone heard of this before?

Members don't see this ad :)
is anybody here on a J1 visa? and how many programs average did you guys apply for?

Nothing here...also looks like some programs redownloaded all or parts of my application. In other words ADTS had already said it was available to the program but then today the date changed to other later dates or today's date for some things. Anybody else notice this?

yea looks like i had the same thing on a few programs!! don't know what that means though

It happens all the time...to everybody...it means nothing. It's just ERAS cycling. There is nothing to interpret here, move along.

I went through this cycle last year. Some programs will download your application anywhere from now till end of August. Most of my interview requests came in the middle to end of August. My first interview wasn't until the first week of September, with some programs sending me an interview request at the end of the August.

Hope this helps & good luck!

AllergyFellow 15, Thank you for the timeline regarding A&I interview invites and dates. Would you mind sharing some of your impressions regarding the programs at which you interviewed?

AllergyFellow 15, Thank you for the timeline regarding A&I interview invites and dates. Would you mind sharing some of your impressions regarding the programs at which you interviewed?

So I applied to 20-25 programs. I interviewed along the east coast primarily. I can't remember all the interviews, so I wrote down a few of the ones I could remember. I felt that alot of the programs asked you the same thing, the only program that had a 2 day interview was University of South Florida.

AI Dupont/Thomas Jefferson:
More Peds oriented compared to adults. They have a 3-1 year. Meaning they will take 3 fellows this year. The previous year was all girls. You could live in either Deleware or Philadelphia. They were really nice on the interview, especially Dr. Chang. You interviewed with him, the fellows, and Dr. McGeady. They asked about posters that were presented. they were a big hospital that was getting ready to renovate. It was also two populations you would be seeing: one in deleware and one in downtown philadelphia (Urban).

UMDNJ(now Rutgers)
More Adults compared to peds. In Newark NJ. Had to commute to the VA hospital from UMDNJ. Good mix of patient population. A lot of opportunity for research in the schedule. On interview day, you interviewed with the Chief, Dr. Weiss, Dr. Wolff, and Dr. Januchya. EVerybody was really friendly. They interviewed 20 or so people for 1 spot. They have a 2-1 program. So this year there will be 2 people coming on board.

Emory:
I believe they only take 1 fellow per year. They were a newer program. I think this would now be their 5th fellow they would be taking. Worked closely with ID and Pulm. You interview with Peds Pulm, Dr. Demuth, and Dr. Kobrynski. Also you take a tour of the hospital. The hospital is absolutely gorgeous. You felt like you were really down south. They had a mix of both peds and adults. they do tell you that you will see more adults.

University of South Florida:
This was a 2 per year fellowship. They were more adult oriented then peds. They were building a new VA center over the coming year or so. Dr. Ledford and Dr. Lockey are some really influential people in the world of AI, so you are learning from the best. The only thing that threw me off was that it was 7am lectures (I believe if I'm remembering right) every morning and Dr. Lockey is a stickler for time. The people seemed friendly, the fellows really loved the program. When you apply this is the internal medicine route, there is another one via USF-St. Pete that is through the peds route. But any program background can apply for them. They have a secondary application which was not fun to do

Winthrop:
They program was a small program, 1 fellow a year. You interview with all 3 attendings. I found the program to be centered on Angioedema and Contact Dermatitis. If you want more about this program, I can answer it in private messages.

Suny Downsate:
They had last minute interviews, but they might not have applicants for this year. They offered interviews pretty late and I wasn't able to go to it because of the storm, I was able to fly up/drive up from Virginia. From what i was told they were only going to take 1 resident. hearing about budget cuts, i'm not sure if they will even have one this year.

University of Buffalo:
This program takes 3 per year I believe. Friendly program with really great fellows and attendings. Best vibe from this program. Only problem was weather. They have a good mix of peds and adults.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Just got an interview from NIH

Got an interview today from Penn State Hershey and a phone interview from Brigham. Wasn't even aware places did phone interviews--anyone heard of this before?
I also got an email about a phone interview from Brigham. Never heard of phone interviews for fellowship apps. I thought it might be a way of gauging interest prior to inviting for a formal interview. Did you have yours yet? I responded to the email with a date and time and never heard back.. strange.

I also got an email about a phone interview from Brigham. Never heard of phone interviews for fellowship apps. I thought it might be a way of gauging interest prior to inviting for a formal interview. Did you have yours yet? I responded to the email with a date and time and never heard back.. strange.

It popped up last year as a relatively new approach (as did the Skype interview). It's expensive for both parties to do interviews. If you can narrow things down by screening out the sociopaths and douchebags over the phone, you've saved everybody some time and trouble.

No, haven't had the phone interview yet, but they replied pretty quickly. The Attending actually forwarded my response on to his secretary who did the final confirmation of date/time.

Interview offers thus far from (all in person interviews):
Mayo
UW-Madison
NIH

Allergy Fellow 15, Thank you for your impressions of AI programs!

Boston Children's & University of Washington are now giving out interviews

Last edited:
Washington - St Louis or Seattle?
Seattle--I think St. Louis is actually called Washington University (not University of Washington)--always confused me for a while.

Last edited:
Just in case people are keeping track, Henry Ford sent out interviews last week.

UCSD didn't fill in the match last year. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say about that.... please post any interview thoughts on the topic.
On that investigative front, Cincinnati (one of the best children's hospitals in the country) didn't fill any of its Peds positions last year; and Brigham only filled 1/2 positions. I don't know why for any of these cases, but would be interested to know more.

On that investigative front, Cincinnati (one of the best children's hospitals in the country) didn't fill any of its Peds positions last year; and Brigham only filled 1/2 positions. I don't know why for any of these cases, but would be interested to know more.

Probably because they chose not too.

MGH & Baylor

Cincinnati

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything yet from Duke, UNC, Mt. Sinai, National Jewish, Stanford? I know NIH interviews went out sometime back--I wonder if programs will also send rejection emails soon...

Anyone hear anything yet from Duke, UNC, Mt. Sinai, National Jewish, Stanford? I know NIH interviews went out sometime back--I wonder if programs will also send rejection emails soon...
Interviews from Stanford as well as Jefferson/DuPont last Wednesday.

Seems like a lot of places haven't sent out responses either way yet. That everyone elses experience thus far too?

University of Cincinnati (internal med)
Washington University (st. Louis)

is cincinati only give to their own resident? thanks

No. I am not from cincy and got an interview there

I do experience the same!

Most places won't send you a rejection, unfortunately. If you see a bunch of people on here that have received an interview and you haven't, don't be discouraged. Yeah, there is a possibility they won't interview; some programs have been known to interview lets say 10-20 people, and if they don't feel they found who they are looking for, send out more interview requests later in the cycle. Thats why I believe a majority of places don't send out a rejection. However, if you are flat right not what they are looking for, some programs will let you know.

Also, you can call up some of the programs that you are really interested in and haven't heard back from. There is nothing wrong with that.

Keeping the Motivation Going

Interviews thus far for 2013-2014
Boston Children's
Baylor
Brigham
Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Emory
Henry Ford
Jefferson/DuPont-Deleware
Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)
Mayo clinic
NIH
Penn State Hershey
Stanford
UW-Madison
UC-San Diego
UW-Madison
University of Cincinnati
University of Rochester
University of Washington- Seattle
Washington University-St. Louis

University of Iowa

Interested in who is getting what, and if programs are extending to some specialties before others or more than others.

IM here, so far have interviews from HF, UCSD, TJ, VCU, WashU, and UW.

Can the running tally update to reflect this? (sorry, not a post master myself, thx!)

I got 2 IVs at the beginning of Aug, then no morw coming. Is this normal?